Author Topic: C14 rider's opinion of the 1700 Voyager.  (Read 18099 times)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
C14 rider's opinion of the 1700 Voyager.
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »
Anybody (and I mean C14 rider's) have any opinion on the 1700 Voyager.  Thinking of maybe picking one up used.  I am aware of certain issues and I know they are completely different but after having ridden a Connie anybody's input would be welcome on the basic bike.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: C14 rider's opinion of the 1700 Voyager.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
Anybody (and I mean C14 rider's) have any opinion on the 1700 Voyager.  Thinking of maybe picking one up used.  I am aware of certain issues and I know they are completely different but after having ridden a Connie anybody's input would be welcome on the basic bike.

Having ridden and owned a Voyager XII, I think that the 1700 is an abomination.  My opinion.  It looks too much like a cruiser.  Can't stand the looks of it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »
Gheesh Jim, tell me how you really feel?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
You really want to know? ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »
I'd rather ride a:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »
Here's what I posted a few weeks ago when one of the forum guys was looking at HD Road Glides and Victory:

"That being said, I have also ridden the newer Kawasaki Voyager, and it is an excellent package also at a more desireable price point. They compare favorably to the Road Glide: v-twin, full lockable matching hard bags and trunk, frame-mounted fairing, all the cruisecontrol/intercom/MP3/etc. bells and whistles. The Voyager also has more spacious rider / passenger accomodations that the HD, which can be a little cramped. Check one out."

They ride great and are comfortable for seriously covering the miles. The engine makes it torques a little higher in the revs than the HD 103, but opens up a little with a Power Commander and slip-ons. Big, comfortable, modern v-twin cruiser with lots of bells and whistles. My friends that have them, love them. One guy just bought his second one. I like the Voyager and the Vaquero, but every time I ride one, I remember HOW FREAKING SLOW THOSE THINGS ARE!  ;D

When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
I'd rather ride a:

+1.  It's a wannabe HD and it sucks.  Not the ship.  I like that.  The bike.  I didn't like it when it came out and that opinion hasn't improved with age.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
It is a Vulcan with faring and saddle bags.  Great for  wife hauling.  Going from Sport Tourer to a  cruiser can be boring but sometimes some people like that.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
Not me.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
Wife hauling is the intention.  I just rode a Goldwing and remembered why I sold mine in 2003.  The wife loved the GL1800 though.  I don't blame her but I just could not ever get comfortable with the riding position or the handling.
I know the the Voyager is a slug compared to the C14.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »
modern v-twin

I have a hard time dealing with that phrase- seems to be an oxymoron
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »

+1

I bumped into a guy in WV "sport-touring" on an old one.  Engine looked the same.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
    modern v-twin

I don't know, I had an RC51 and it was pretty modern. Loved it.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
I know the the Voyager is a slug compared to the C14.

+1
the list of what isn't is rather short.
That said, there are some nice bikes out there with completely different approach to motorcycling. If the OP likes it, I say "go for it".
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »

Well, I understand that comment from a geometry standpoint, and get that old saw you're stating. But, "modern" for a v-twin means: fuel injected, water-cooled, hydraulic valves (no adjustment - ever), and about as reliable and bullet-proof as you can get. All things that the old school v-twins weren't.

But, I suspect you already know all that.  ;)
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »
Have your wife get her own bike , someone had their wifes  nice Shadow for sale  ;)
I NEVER liked anyone on the back of my bike's   even when I was young and the girls were 120lb. not sure what my wife weighs  :-X but If I put her on the back,  my front tire would be off the ground alot ::)
I might buy a Honda Rune someday , not to replace the 14 , just to be different I guess , It's one of those bikes you hate or like , I like them.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Spanky

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 08:44:57 PM »
I hope your wife never reads this thread   :yikes:

I have often thought that a cruiser would make a great second bike. I could never have one as my only ride, but they seem nice for just putting around.

Offline chappy5oh

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
When it comes to Cruiser style touring bikes, the only one I have ever truly enjoyed is my Valkyrie. Yes I know it is not a v-twin or a four, but I think that is what I like so much. It has the straight tracking, couldn't move ya from your intended track if a tornado came through heavy cruiser feel, but the flat six is so very smooth, and it even handles, pretty well.....for an 800lb. bike. Good low mileage examples can still be found, and the fit and finish really was top notch......IMHO.....
Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary.
2005 C10
1983 V65 Magna

Offline chappy5oh

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »
Forgot to mention, mine is a tourer not a standard, so I have the luggage and wind screen, just not the batwing style fairing.
Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary.
2005 C10
1983 V65 Magna

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
not sure what my wife weighs  :-X but If I put her on the back,  my front tire would be off the ground alot ::)

:finger_fing11: