Author Topic: Can-Am adult conversation  (Read 14210 times)

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
Can-Am adult conversation
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »
When I saw the Can-Am pull up in the parking lot today at a breakfast house....and saw a guy climb off that had crippling arthritis in his hands and hips.... I thought great and alternative to the VStar Classic that I gave up....that was just to heavy for me to handle. Don't know much about them so would appreciate some "grown-up" input as opposed to the sophmorite comments that Rick had to move to the Arena  and banned the last time. I am really considering one of these and they aren't cheap. Is the mileage more like car....the handling more like a car. I know I can go to the  spyderlovers.com  but I would rather hear it from the "trusted folks" of connie riders.
On the blue shore of silence

Offline Bosgarage57

Re: Can-Am adult conversation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »
Heres my opinion, if I couldnt handle a bike anymore, and it was either a trike, spyder, or a car.  It would be a spyder.  If thats what it takes to get me out on the road not in a cage then I'd happily own one.  Hell I'm 24 and I'd love to have one, they are just too expensive.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
They accelerate like a muscle car, so in the fives zero to 60, very fast but not connie fast. They get around 35 miles per gallon, and they handle very good. They look fantastic, sound great, very comfy for the driver and the passenger and you can get them fully decked out with stereo and lots of storage.

Fantastic bike,
Just not my style.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »
Heres my opinion, if I couldnt handle a bike anymore, and it was either a trike, spyder, or a car.  It would be a spyder.  If thats what it takes to get me out on the road not in a cage then I'd happily own one.  Hell I'm 24 and I'd love to have one, they are just too expensive.

Ditto!  My wife and I have tested them (she used to ride) and she would buy one in a second if the cash was there. I'd buy one just to have because they're pretty cool, plenty fast, have a lot of features and let's face it, there are days having more wheels than two would be a good thing.

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:05:02 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement...now its time to go to the dealer and have a ride around. Will let you know how it feels. I love the Can-Am website.....starts out with the ZZ TOP band and road movie!
On the blue shore of silence

Offline booger

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »
I'd ride one ;)

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »
I liked the thought of them, but I want the free parking places I find on a bike. I would not be able to hide the Spyder to easily. The fully loaded ones are awesome, but at $26,000 the BMW 1600 trumps it pretty fast. IMHO.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 10:17:22 PM »
They have one big advantage over a trike.  Two wheels in front, which is important going through corners.  A coworker had a Goldwing converted to a trike.  After riding it for 1 month he sold it.  Said it pushed really bad in corners.  He backed up traffic on cloverleafs because he had to take them so slowly.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
I am considering one for two up touring. Just easier.... Not for solo, though.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 09:30:50 PM »
If you ride quads or snowmobiles, you'll take to it like a fish to water!  On one of my test rides on one, I tried to lock em up on a gravel road at somewhere around 45-50 mph & all it did was squat down & come to a controlled, no slide, no weave, stop...  No muss, No fuss!!!  Will definetly give your upper body a workout, but in a good way.  Yep, I'd own one too!  Of course, I'd prolly chip it & put on some pipes to hear that sweet Aprillia motor just a bit....
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »
Its a lot of nothing compared to the ZX14/C14 T-Rex three-wheeler below

I didn't like riding the can-am due to the sheer lack of performance in every category except braking. I guess if you want to talk yourself into one thats possible.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
Those T-rex's are like $50G's last time I looked!!!!  These look pretty awesome too:

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »
I personally like them as well. I was contemplating one myself as well. I thought the best part would be wife and I can switch to driving it. But the cost, the handling (I read they take the corners a bit harder than bikes and is nanied to the teeth with all kinds of sensors/ecu), and the fact that I will be wishing for two wheels anyway, decided to stay with just a two wheeler.

I admit I never got around to test drive one. But if you like them, test drive and see what you think.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:45:46 AM »
Its a lot of nothing compared to the ZX14/C14 T-Rex three-wheeler below

I didn't like riding the can-am due to the sheer lack of performance in every category except braking. I guess if you want to talk yourself into one thats possible.

Are these T-rex street legal? I am getting me-self one as soon as I win this lottery (I hear the odds are pretty good - once in every 5000...years)
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 08:12:53 AM »
I have a pair of them, I like them a lot, I bought them in 08 when they came out.  My wife has the SE5 I ride a SM5.  They are very fun to ride, we also ride Ski Doo snowmobiles.  I am a very big fan of Bombardier...had a Sea Doo Islandia Jet boat also. 

Best advice get out and ride one! 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
Like others have said, the day that I get too old for a motorcycle I will be looking at one of these. I'm hoping there will be a robust used market for them by then.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
It is my understanding that David Hough (of Proficient Motorcycling fame) bought one at 73 and is now using it.  If the day comes that I can no longer ride 2 wheels, I hope to still be able to ride 3.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline pdlt

• Realistic about life
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »
I have a pair of them, I like them a lot, I bought them in 08 when they came out.  My wife has the SE5 I ride a SM5.  They are very fun to ride, we also ride Ski Doo snowmobiles.  I am a very big fan of Bombardier...had a Sea Doo Islandia Jet boat also. 

Best advice get out and ride one!

Was my exact same scenario.  My wife and I both had them.  She had SE5 and I SM5.  Rode them lots and liked them lots.  I like the feel of a 2 wheel bike though and after a year I got bored with it.  I ended up trading mine in on a 2009 Honda DN-01 for my wife.  I'm happy about trading it, but I could easily see myself owning another someday.  So far everything you are reading seems pretty accurate in my opinion.

Offline Freddy

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 08:05:22 AM »
wow that's crazy!

I'd own one in a heartbeat, long before a t-rex.  If I want to sit like that, I'll get a convertible. 
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384