Author Topic: Mid -size sport-tourer ?  (Read 12470 times)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
Re: Mid -size sport-tourer ?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »
I'm a big fan of the vfr.  Only reason I'm not on one now is the chain drive - I'm super lazy.  Turns out the connie was better for the riding I do now, but that doesn't mean I can't look at them and sigh.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »
Thanks for all the input - some really good ideas there. Yeah ,he really is getting the trade-up bug . He likes the look of the yammy FZ8 , but that's way out of his price range . Plus he rode his moms Shadow without the windshield mounted and now appreciates the value of a little wind blockage. ;D

Had a thought  - Kawi Z750 S.  Low mileage examples out there for $3500 + .. Has a quarter faring ,with lowers available from the aftermarket.

Water cooled inline 4, six speed w/overdrive gearing, middling weight , gas guage, and got good reviews at the time.
Anybody ever ride one of these for any distance ?  Would love to hear opinions from the real world.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:09:17 PM by kdm »
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »
Compares to the GPZ750: on a short list I would like. Vanilla, but good vanilla. I could ride my GPZ as long as I needed too, and sometimes that was 10 hour rides. Better bars than the GPz.

Have I mentioned how much I liked the WeeStrom that I rode better than anything ever? FI, aftermarket galore, and run with the rockets in the curves.

And I could do light offroad trips to boot!

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
What about a used FZ1?  I sold my '07 with all the bolt on goodies for $5k over a year ago.  And the first Gen ones are a great value.  I see clean ones listed all the time on CL for $2500-$3500.  They are comfy half-naked but a decent size windshield.  Slightly de-tuned R1 engine.

'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »
What about a used FZ1?  I sold my '07 with all the bolt on goodies for $5k over a year ago.  And the first Gen ones are a great value.  I see clean ones listed all the time on CL for $2500-$3500.  They are comfy half-naked but a decent size windshield.  Slightly de-tuned R1 engine.

The Gen 1 FZ1 is very cool--  but from what I read it's hard to find a shield that will minimize the wind buffeting .  Something about the fairing being set too far from the rider.
  Was this ever an issue with you ?
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 06:53:56 AM »
The Gen 1 FZ1 is very cool--  but from what I read it's hard to find a shield that will minimize the wind buffeting .  Something about the fairing being set too far from the rider.
  Was this ever an issue with you ?

Mine was a Gen 2 so I can't comment on the Gen 1.  I had very little buffeting once I installed that shield (Zero Gravity I think).  Most of the buffeting comes from those mirrors sticking way up there in the windstream.  Not much wind protection for the legs but they do sell a lower fairing kit which would probably help.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline soyjim

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »
As I understand it there are things that can be done to make the Ninja 650r a more comfortable sport tourer. There is at least one thread about that on sport touring .net.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:55:43 PM by soyjim »

Offline red2000

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »
A Triumph Sprint ST might be a good option.  From what I've read they have an awesome torque curve but will still rev pretty happily.  They're about 200 punds lighter than a Connie with a little more power.  I've been looking at them myself.  A Ninja 1000 or a Suzuki SV1000S look like fun rides too.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »
A Triumph Sprint ST might be a good option.  From what I've read they have an awesome torque curve but will still rev pretty happily.  They're about 200 punds lighter than a Connie with a little more power.  I've been looking at them myself.  A Ninja 1000 or a Suzuki SV1000S look like fun rides too.
Maybe more power than a C10.  Nowhere close to a C14.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »
Reviving this old thread for an update. ;D

Fate intervened in the decision to upgrade - the Ninja was run over by a 4x4 ! Seriously !
A girl he works with jumped in her truck to go home from work  on a rainy night and BAM -no more ninja.
Luckily she had insurance (geico) and they totalled it and gave him a fat check.

So, after much looking and test riding , he bought an.....ST1100 honda !

Much surprise here -thought he would rather a more sporty ride ,but he loves it . It hasn't sat still long enough
for me to sneak a ride yet , so can't report on the performance  -but don't worry =i will.

Rode one years ago and sort of remember liking it. ;)

So, Son of Pappy ,we almost took your advice-just went for the original.

Will post pics whenever I can get him to hold still long enough.
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 08:35:44 AM »
Just throwing this out there--lots of experienc on this forum!

Got my son a Ninja 650r for a first bike ,and its a nice little ride.  Thing is , it is kind of small ,and while it has pretty good wind protection ,all day comfort it don't .  Caught him sitting on my C14 a couple times ,making vroom vroom noises (just kidding-he's not THAT much like his dad ) and think he may be thinking of trading up.

Heres my question- what would make a good mid-sized sport touring bike -you know, full fairing , smooth, good power, a liitle more weight and mass than the Ninja to soak up the bumps, provide a little better ride ?
Just thinkin...

(Got my son a Ninja 650r for a first bike ,and its a nice little ride)

Geez, things have changed sine i started. 
  My first bike was a Honda 90, and I bought it myself after working for 2 summers to get the $$
  Not going there though. I bought my son his first bike too. (guilty)   

I read thru this discussion again.

He asked for a bike with "full fairing , smooth, good power, a liitle more weight and mass than the Ninja to soak up the bumps, provide a little better ride"

I think all of you forgot the most obvious choice. (for him (and other Newbies) to ride before moving to something like a C-14)...

(Hint: Most of us rode one)

Get him a C-10!

Let him learn to love it like we did.

Let "him" learn; how to handle the heavier bike, do the maintenance, select and install the mods, the responsibility of taking care of it.
  Then,,,,, (and only then) let "him" BUY his own C-14.

Ride safe, Ted

Son of Pappy

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »
Reviving this old thread for an update. ;D

Fate intervened in the decision to upgrade - the Ninja was run over by a 4x4 ! Seriously !
A girl he works with jumped in her truck to go home from work  on a rainy night and BAM -no more ninja.
Luckily she had insurance (geico) and they totalled it and gave him a fat check.

So, after much looking and test riding , he bought an.....ST1100 honda !

Much surprise here -thought he would rather a more sporty ride ,but he loves it . It hasn't sat still long enough
for me to sneak a ride yet , so can't report on the performance  -but don't worry =i will.

Rode one years ago and sort of remember liking it. ;)

So, Son of Pappy ,we almost took your advice-just went for the original.

Will post pics whenever I can get him to hold still long enough.
Good deal!  Sounds like one of those things, like "If the shoe fits".  Most of us joke about differant brands (well, 'cept that Harley brand ;)) but it really is about being on the road out grippin and grinnin ;D  Congrats to your son, now get out there and ride :)