Author Topic: Tip on adding a Power Commander  (Read 6242 times)

Offline 238mph

Tip on adding a Power Commander
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:59:04 PM »
Simple blunder in my opinion with Kawi and Power Commander both.  When you to install the PC, the connector on the PC is a square, gray, connector.  Right where is they tell you to install the PC is the same type of connector, GRAY in color. 

Well, it doesn't plug in there!!!!

Further back behind the engine is the same type square plug, but it is BROWN....

That is where the GRAY PC plug goes.

Shame on Kawi for making two plugs identical.... and shame on PC for not making their plug BROWN.  That would have alerted me not to plug a BROWN plug into a GRAY socket.

Two hours on tech support, even making up a hot lead wire to go into the PC to be sure it powers up... and we find the problem... doh.

Now I'm mapping the PC for Muzzy dual carbon can and the flies out.... I could do a closed system, but it's more fun to tweak your own map.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Tip on adding a Power Commander
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 03:04:20 AM »
do you have pics? that would help understanding for those who got it done by somebody, or are planning to do it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 03:52:04 AM »
do you have pics? that would help understanding for those who got it done by somebody, or are planning to do it.

I think he's talking about the big grey plug on top of the valve cover on the LH side? I'm pretty sure this has happened before.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:14:39 AM »
I believe so as well, as it's (the wrong one) easy to get to. The one that you should connect to is tucked in and out of sight.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline 238mph

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:06:59 AM »
I believe so as well, as it's (the wrong one) easy to get to. The one that you should connect to is tucked in and out of sight.

Yup, you got that right... :-[    The one that is easy to get to... that IS NOT the one you need... lol

By the way, we make it sound so technically hard... Martin, it takes about 3 min to put in a PC, so don't let us scare you off from adding one.  If you need help I'm happy to assist you.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
Yup, you got that right... :-[    The one that is easy to get to... that IS NOT the one you need... lol

By the way, we make it sound so technically hard... Martin, it takes about 3 min to put in a PC, so don't let us scare you off from adding one.  If you need help I'm happy to assist you.

ah, too late. I would have wanted to add it to my bike, and take the flies out, and I would have been scared to do it because of those mythological beings named "electrons" involved. But then again, a PC is illegal in Germany so I might have not gotten it installed by the dealer  ;D

Offline 238mph

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:16:12 AM »
You're in Germany?  Damn, I just checked to see how much to ship my bike from LA to Frankfurt... $2k US... I might take it over for a 3 month tour of Europe.
I have a friend that lives in Viesbadden... not sure if I spelled that right lol.

Offline poopster2009

• 2009 Concours
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:16 AM »
2K for a shipping price is a terrible rip off. They don't have to feed it or provide heat or cool or a blanket. Good luck. I have been to Wiesbadan and the area all around it. It is a very nice city and enjoyed the hot springs baths. You did a credible job on your spelling, what with the German hard and soft pronunciations. If you start off in Wiesbaden head south to Mannheim and Heidelberg and to the Neckar River you will marvel at the castles and rivers. Across the bridge from the castle in Heidelberg is Philosophers Walk up the side of a hill zig zag and an old unfinished building at the top from Hitlers time. Just beautiful.  Just south of Mannheim is Ludwigshafen. It use to have a Great bar down, down in the dungins of an old 15th century building. Can't remember the address but it used to called Storyville. Just a couple places that you might be interested in in that area. Thanks Doug

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:11:05 AM »
guys, what are you talking about? you're in Europe, on a 1400GTR (oh, yes, it get's rebadged here  ;D) and you want to spend it all in Germany? don't get me wrong, it's a neat place, and having a go or 10 at the Autobahn is a blast, but then you have to go to the north of Italy. You just have to. Ask Rick...
As for shipping, shop around. A good place to start is here.

wow! I just realised that this is my post nr. 1000. Hey, Jim, have a beer for me, would you? I know you don't like beer, but give it a try. Who knows?!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:05:37 AM »
Congratulations, Martin!  You're 1000th post prize is in the mail on the way to you as I write this.  I will have a crafty beer...Vienna Lager by a company in Virginia (Devil's Backbone Brewery).
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:03:05 AM »
another tip for a Zx14/C14 power commander install is insure the ground.  It won;t fail until you are thousands of miles from home  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »
Guaranteed.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
Everything will be fine.... as long as you do not use the ground that Dyno Jet suggests (the bolt holding on the coolant reservoir). I used the 10mm bolt in the frame brace.

Brian

another tip for a Zx14/C14 power commander install is insure the ground.  It won;t fail until you are thousands of miles from home  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com