Author Topic: brake squeek....its driving me nuts!  (Read 10022 times)

Offline Dade22

brake squeek....its driving me nuts!
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:32:24 AM »
Ok....

I have noticed my front brakes are squeeking very bad again.   I tried the disk brake quiet on the backs of the pads but that only lasted a short while.

I cant stand this any more.  Another friend said the pads are probably of a lower quality so he suggested I get better ones.

Any help would be great!

dade22
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline Tarheelbob

Re: brake squeek....its driving me nuts!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:52:14 AM »
Well, what pads are they? I have the absolute best luck of eliminating squealing by staying with the OEM pads. Worst squealing I have ever had was using EBC pads on two different bikes. My original set of OEM pads never made any noise, and I have put the newer compound 2010 pads on my '09 (to possibly help reduce compound build up), and they are as quiet as the first set.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline Dade22

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »
factory OEM pads...but they squeek bad!

Just want to fix this problem only one time and be done with it.

dade22

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »
Have you tried the Disc Brake Quiet #2065  from Car Quest (Orange stuff in a bottle) I put some on my EBC HH pads when they started squealing and have not heard a sound since. That was 3500 miles ago.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »
Over on the HD forum the answer to squeaking pads is to file the leading edge of the pad a little, seems to work for them.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline mkorn

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:34:28 PM »
my original set or OEM are squeaking a little ... but not to bad ... yet.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Bob

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
Well, what pads are they? I have the absolute best luck of eliminating squealing by staying with the OEM pads. Worst squealing I have ever had was using EBC pads on two different bikes. My original set of OEM pads never made any noise, and I have put the newer compound 2010 pads on my '09 (to possibly help reduce compound build up), and they are as quiet as the first set.

Me too. EBC pads squeal like a pig!  :D

Offline Rawman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
My '09 OEMs squealed bady, I thought it was time to replace the pads only to find they were only a little over 1/2 gone (at 20,000 miles!).  I had ordered the '10 and up replacement pads and they have not squeaked yet.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline Dustproof

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 03:31:34 AM »
Usually the Pad squeel is from the pads moving in the caliper.  Check pad movement back to front rather from side to side, the only real way to get rid of the squeel is replace the pads.

One thing to try is to chamfer the edges of the pads, give it a bit of a 45 deg angle all the way around the pad edge.  Try Copper Coat on the pad back and side edges, also try to clean the rotor of any pad material left behind.  I feel the OEM pads are a bit soft and leave debris behind, some people have complained about shuddering and once cleaned the disc's has disapeared, including me.

Hope this helps
Noel

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:04:47 AM »
I notice it after cruising around with my wife on the back. ;)

The fix is to take the bike out and get on the brakes hard a few times. They don't like being babied.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Dade22

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 02:45:26 PM »
Just got done doing what dustproof said....I chamfered the edges.  The local shop said to do the same thing.  I got out my disk brake quiet by permatex...its blue.  I recoated the backs of the pads and I cleaned the calipers up a bit while I had the brake pads out.   The local shop said to scuff the pads really lightly to remove any glazing of the pad material.  I used a semi-corse file.  Didnt seem to do much but I did it anyway.

I then went all the way around the rotors with a rag and brake part cleaner.  I expected more gunk on the rotors like some have mentioned, but I got very little.

I also used a non-run off lube on the pins...just a very light coat.  Not sure if it will do anything but I did notice the clips come in contact with the center of the pin.  The lube I have is very sticky...and goes on thin.  I think I got it from my dad that worked at GM.  Some high tech lube stuff. LOL

We will see later if it fixes the problem.  Will update when I find out.

Thanks

Dade22

Flathead

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »
Over on the HD forum the answer to squeaking pads is to file the leading edge of the pad a little, seems to work for them.

I thought the fix on the HD was to put on a louder exhaust???