Author Topic: Brake pad wear in millimeters  (Read 5387 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Brake pad wear in millimeters
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:12:37 PM »
Ok instead of bumping up another brake pad thread, that i did search for a read and couldnt find my answer.  I have a quick question, at what point would you change pads going by mm thickness of the pad? I read on the COG forum that stock pads are 3.8mm the thinnest pad i have is 2.2mm. how thin would you go in millimeters before you changed? FYI i have Gallfer gold HH pads with about 13k(ish) miles on them. Those measurements are the pad material only not including the backing.

Offline udoggie

Re: Brake pad wear in millimeters
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:27:08 PM »
The wear bars are typically at 1mm.

I wish I could see mine.  I did a safety check last weekend, and found they were all gone.  I sure hope they get here by the weekend...

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 04:22:27 AM »
According to my 08 manual, the Kwak pads are 4 (.16 inches) and 5 mm (.20 inches) thick for the front and the back.  Wear limits on both are 1mm or .04 inches.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »

According to my 08 manual, the Kwak pads are 4 (.16 inches) and 5 mm (.20 inches) thick for the front and the back.  Wear limits on both are 1mm or .04 inches.

Okay thanks,I must of gotten some bad info on COG or maybe that was for a C10. I'll let them go for a little longer, might go ahead and rotate them since the outside pads are slightly thicker.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
The wear bars are typically at 1mm.

I wish I could see mine.  I did a safety check last weekend, and found they were all gone.  I sure hope they get here by the weekend...

Jeff
The galfer fronts don't have wear bars that I'm away aware of.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
Is that a good idea to rotate them?
I would think that there is an issue with dirty pistons if the pads are not wearing evenly.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
Is that a good idea to rotate them?
I would think that there is an issue with dirty pistons if the pads are not wearing evenly.

Every bike I've ever owned has worn one side slightly more than the other. I'm not talking a huge difference just maybea half a millimeter or less.. Most cars are that way too.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
might go ahead and rotate them since the outside pads are slightly thicker.

???

If yer already in there why not just replace them? Pads are pretty cheap...  :-\

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »

???

If yer already in there why not just replace them? Pads are pretty cheap...  :-\

$120 ain't cheap in my book, I'm just a po country boy.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »
$120 ain't cheap in my book, I'm just a po country boy.

You should check out the EBC double-H pads, I love em, and you can get em for like $80.  :thumbs:

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »

You should check out the EBC double-H pads, I love em, and you can get em for like $80.  :thumbs:

think im good for a little bit but i still thought about ordering a set to have on the shelf, found those on sale on amazon $74 with free shipping  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JJ2UAK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
Murph has them. I just bought a full set. Mine are still good but I figured I will have to replace them at some point. I had to take the bike for inspection so I pulled the fronts to see how they were, they still look just a hair under half good. I cleaned the pins, put a bit of brake grease on the contact points and put it back together. The new pads aren't here yet. I did cure the loud squeak I had under light braking though.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=357

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
informative thread
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine