Author Topic: How to reuse your keys on new luggage locks.  (Read 13640 times)

Offline 238mph

How to reuse your keys on new luggage locks.
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »
Ok, I thought I'd share something that I learned about saddle bags...

We all know how easy the orange locking jaw snaps off... and the only way to fix this is to order another entire lock system. 

A few things... the left and right are interchangeable...  so when I was on eBay I found a brand new right one for $120... of course, I needed the left.
Isn't that always the case... lol  Brand new from Kawi they quoted me $325!!!!

So, I saw it included a new key and lock.  Bummer, I thought, now I need to carry 2 keys.

Well, the new lock came and the key and tumbler were separate.  That's how new ones come from Kawasaki.

I was about to install the new tumbler into the lock when I decided to take my time (rare case, right?) and analyze how it's made.

By looking at the tumbler, I realized the very last tumbler on the keylock is the one that holds the entire tumbler in the lock.  And that if I could get the old tumbler out of the old
lock, I could re-install it into the new lockset and retain using the single original key.

So I tore the old unit apart....

Once you get the plastic cover off, you have to bend down a large piece of metal... to get to the key set.  It's very soft and easy to do...

Then grab the keyset with your pliers and snap it off...

Once you snap it off, turn it over and you will see the bottom of the tumbler.

Take a small flat blade screwdriver and push the bottom tumbler in while pushing the lockset out of the lock assembly.  This is where humans need 3 hands... it took me 10 min to do this.

Once you have this original tumbler out, the next step is CRITICAL...  stop and look very carefully at the lock hole that the tumbler goes into....

There is one side of the hole that has a taper and a wider slot for the tumbler to go in... if you force it into the lock hole the wrong way you will mess up the whole thing.

Now if you put a right side lock into a left side bag or vice versa, here's what will happen.  The locks won't be on the same end of the bags... to me, I didn't care.

Hope this helps some of you guys on here...

PS  THE ONLY reason I came back on here was due to Maxtog helping me greatly, and I wanted to hang with him and some of the other guys that welcomed me.  If other users plan on being ugly,
I'll will simply ask a mod to block them from my posts.

To Maxtog, the ZX-14 tank fit perfectly, as did the ZX-14 seat.  The ZX-14 tail also fits with just a tad of trimming once I removed the passenger grab handles.  Thanks to you and I am customizing my bike to work for me and my riding style.  Can't wait for the CopperDawg Sport Screen to arrive.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:03:24 PM by 238mph »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: How to reuse your keys on new luggage locks.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:32:43 PM »
Good info.

I did something similar to this, once, under the direction of a friend.  It wasn't too hard- I think it was a simple 4 cyl lock and each pin had only one of 3 sizes.  Just a matter of having enough pins (top and bottom) to match the desired key (and without losing any of the tiny springs while working on it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 238mph

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:45:29 PM »
Oh hey Maxtog... I posted this because of all the help you gave me...  8)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:08:43 AM »
The ZX-14 tail also fits with just a tad of trimming once I removed the passenger grab handles.

Please, man, please! put pics... I really want to see what it looks like  :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:03:14 AM »
Thanks!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:59:15 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:45 AM »
the ZX-14 tank fit perfectly, as did the ZX-14 seat.  The ZX-14 tail also fits with just a tad of trimming once I removed the passenger grab handles.

That is amazing, glad it is coming along.  You will need to come up with a name for this hybrid at some point, maybe a Zoncours, or a CZ-14 or something :)

You have a lot more energy than I do.  To think that I am too lazy to finish the few comparatively simple mods I have left I want to do.  I can't even blame age, since you are a lot older than I am!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 06:07:59 AM »
Just as an aside, I have not heard of any orange locking tabs snapping off? This was a recall by Kawasaki where the red locking tabs, that did break, were replaced by the orange ones which are much stronger and have not failed to the best of my knowledge.

I was involved in a minor accident a short time ago where I was struck mainly in the left saddlebag, hard enough to knock the [latched and locked] bag off the bike..... and the latch did not break, bend or fail in any way.

Could you perhaps be mixing up the older saddlebag latches with the newer ones?

Brian

We all know how easy the orange locking jaw snaps off... and the only way to fix this is to order another entire lock system. 

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 238mph

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »
Thanks for the links Conrad, but his method was much harder than mine... no special tools need to be fabricated and no drilling by my method.  Pretty simple actually.

Offline 238mph

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 07:38:12 AM »
That is amazing, glad it is coming along.  You will need to come up with a name for this hybrid at some point, maybe a Zoncours, or a CZ-14 or something :)

You have a lot more energy than I do.  To think that I am too lazy to finish the few comparatively simple mods I have left I want to do.  I can't even blame age, since you are a lot older than I am!

The ZX has a much more narrow tail with the rear brake light built in... I'd like to run that as well but the subframe gets different back there, so I need to either fabricate a light system to go into
the rear of the GTR tail, or find another bike that has something that might easily fit in there...  I'm still undecided if I will retain the GTR mirrors or run ZX, but I see no reason the bike won't do at least 190mph.  Might need some spray if it won't do it naturally....  Waiting on the Speed Screen to paint the rest of the bike.  Muzzy exhaust should be in this week.  I'll post pics once it's painted.

Offline 238mph

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »
For all the rest of your that were supportive to a new guy, I say thanks.  Let's get to building some cool sheeeit!!!!  And ride.  Oh, sorry so many of you live up in the tundra, you can always trailer your machines down to Arizona and ride here...  ;D   Love to show any guys coming this way great roads, ghost towns, etc... 8)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:04:31 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »
so I need to either fabricate a light system to go into the rear of the GTR tail

http://japan.webike.net/products/9523173.html

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
 :popcorn:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline tomp

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
AGAIN?

come on guys, why don't y'all just lay 'em on the table and measure.  Jim will be here soon and start deleting again.  I, for one, try to learn something new from every thread, and this mess doesn't add to anything.  Feels like troll work not member participation. 

Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »
 >:(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of an orange C-14 bag latch snapping off? This was a recall item that was address and I am not aware of ANY orange latches breaking. Anyone?

I suggest everyone do his / her own research on this matter because I believe this is incorrect information.

Brian

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »
Most of the cases simply bounce off the bike regardless of color of latch, but I haven't heard of an orange latch breaking.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 03:21:26 PM »
Well, I do not think I would say most C-14 cases bounce off the bikes. But the ones that do do not seem to be related to the latches in any way, just excessive slop in the entire mounting (Easy Boys!) system. If the system is shimmed it seems to eliminate all saddlebag problems on this bike.

Brian

Most of the cases simply bounce off the bike regardless of color of latch, but I haven't heard of an orange latch breaking.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
They shouldn't have to be shimmed, pinned, or require the addition of Zbars to assure the rider that they'll (side cases) stay on the bike and not act like a depth charge.  This is a sore point with me and Kwakers.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 03:38:16 PM »
Agreed. But that is not the situation we have nor is it likely to be fixed at the manufacturer's level, which leaves us all do deal with this problem on our own. Not the ideal situation but it is an imperfect world.

But in any event, the point of my posting in this thread was to address the "fact" that 'we all know' how easily the orange saddlebag latches break. I have never heard of one breaking yet.

Brian

They shouldn't have to be shimmed, pinned, or require the addition of Zbars to assure the rider that they'll (side cases) stay on the bike and not act like a depth charge.  This is a sore point with me and Kwakers.