Author Topic: Will you be my neighbor?  (Read 9959 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Re: Will you be my neighbor?
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
Real improvements to Campus Security/Police; armed Factuality Members and even the ability for Students to arm themselves for just in case such and event.

You will NEVER keep a crazy person from acting out with a dangerous weapon such as guns, knives, clubs or even gas and a match....

And how do you prevent the campus from turning into old wild west? You got a beef with someone, you call out for a gun duel !  ;)

I am not against people carrying guns, but there should be some check to determine the sanity of the person - ensure that the person is going to be responsible with the gun. Even if everyone carries a gun, an insane person with a gun will probably kill a few before being dropped dead. And even a few human lives is very costly.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 09:22:03 AM »
And how do you prevent the campus from turning into old wild west? You got a beef with someone, you call out for a gun duel !  ;)

I am not against people carrying guns, but there should be some check to determine the sanity of the person - ensure that the person is going to be responsible with the gun. Even if everyone carries a gun, an insane person with a gun will probably kill a few before being dropped dead. And even a few human lives is very costly.

You simply can't predict crazy! But you can be prepared for it..... No one answer works here.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 04:45:55 AM »

Top 100 most dangerous communities list just came out.  Know how many were from the "Wild West?"

ZERO.

How much violence accompanied the "Occupy" protests here, which were attended by legally armed citizens? 

NONE.

You cannot ever hope to control the actions of another, only yourself.  Hoping the State control the actions of another person is naive folly.

In Arizona there is no permit whatsoever required to carry a weapon any way the citizen desires.  If this causes so much crime, where are the Arizona communities on the aforementioned list?

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/

Please provide the statistics of a state where the rate of violent crime has increased after making their weapons laws more closely match the intent of the Framers?  I eagerly await your answer.

43 out of the 100 communities in that list are from may-issue or no-issue states.  Not one was from a state with Constitutional Carry.

Only 14 states out of 50 (28%) comprised 43% of the communities on that list.  Icanhazoverrepresentation?   ;D

Every single Campus Carry law ever proposed is restricted to CCW holders ONLY (that's how SCC rolls).  That means over 21, trained and background checked.  Ever seen the crime statistics of CCW holders vs. the general population?  5.7 times less likely to be convicted of a violent crime and 13.5 times less likely to be convicted of a non-violent offense.  Now why is it we want to make criminals of these people?

There are already campuses where carry is legal and your hoplophobic fantasies have never been realized.  As a matter of fact, there has never been a mass shooting at any of these campuses.

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 08:51:59 AM »
NC  Asheville area is a primo choice and if I can get my Townhouse sold and my stuff together ...in the near future...I will be looking west of there.....I use to live in Waynesville for a few years and should have never moved...I now only live about 2:15 hours from there so it's a easy trip........I will probably look further west of Waynesville as I have simple needs and do not need to be close to "cities"...once a month supply run is good enough for me
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
What gives? Nobody mentioned Maine as a great place to freeze to death.
Joel from Maine.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
NC  Asheville area is a primo choice and if I can get my Townhouse sold and my stuff together ...in the near future...I will be looking west of there.....I use to live in Waynesville for a few years and should have never moved...I now only live about 2:15 hours from there so it's a easy trip........I will probably look further west of Waynesville as I have simple needs and do not need to be close to "cities"...once a month supply run is good enough for me

Hi Silvera, I don't know if you meant the town of Waynesville that is south of Maggie Valley or Waynesville county that is north of Maggie Valley but we stayed a week in a cabin off of Cove Creek Mountain Road in Waynesville county and I can tell you that I absolutely loved the location and could haved lived out the rest of my days in that cabin with no regrets. I can see us still moving to that area perhaps when the grand kids get a few years older. We took Cove Creek road up towards the GSMNP to where that elk population lives and was completely awe struck by the sight and "sounds" of the elk.

Maybe we can be neighbors in a few years? I think we would get along great as my wife and I are not real big on conversation and are happy with companionship. Just plunk me in the back of the head with an acorn and point!
Tony P. Crochet

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
To stay cool you want to be above 4,000'.

Some places in AZ that are cool and (relatively) close to an airport:

Prescott
Verde Valley (Cottonwood, Jerome, Sedona)
Flagstaff
Payson
Show Low
Bisbee

Just got back from Sho Low / Concho area.... It was beautiful this time of year

By the way if you like riding twisties..... AVOID KANSAS!!!  (don't get me wrong, I love my state, just doesn't have any good twistie opportunities)

NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
Or another way to put it is why would I want to be your neighbor? My wife and I are seriously thinking about moving out of MI so that we (she) can escape the sunless nasty sloppy winters we have here. I'd like to stay within an hour or two of a major airport but a reasonable sized regional size airport will work too as I need to travel for my work. We have stayed several times down in the Ashville NC area and really enjoyed the mountains so we think about moving into the area as it appeals to us but I don't want to overlook some other gem of an area. We don't enjoy BIG city life nor are we wanting to live completely in isolation either but the idea of being able to have a few acre does hold some appeal too. Tell me about what makes where you live or where you'd like to live so special? Mountain and valley views are a big plus and if given my dithers I'd like to live along or nearby to the Blue Ridge Parkway but that is one long road and covers many states so even areas like Roanoke Virginia seem like great places to live.

Thats where I live "in the summers" when FL is hot. Winter is all warm climate places for me though, Asheville gets COLD~!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 06:34:29 AM »
I am not much into guns, so cannot comment much on the laws surrounding them. But was not there a bad shooting or two in Virginia tech? I hope this does not turn into arena, but curious how things such as that can be avoided.

There have been 'bad' shootings across the nation, not just in VA....  And I don't see how such 'things' could have been avoided unless more people 'carried' and took out the shooter before he did the damage.  The police forces can only do so much....as they are stretched out due to budget constraints.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 07:13:48 AM »
Hi Silvera, I don't know if you meant the town of Waynesville that is south of Maggie Valley or Waynesville county that is north of Maggie Valley but we stayed a week in a cabin off of Cove Creek Mountain Road in Waynesville county

It is the Town of Waynesville...that county is Haywood County...(There isn't a Waynesville County in NC)  Maggie Valley is next door and so is Clyde, Lake Junaluska, Silva, Cherokee, Gatlinburg, and several tourist towns more.   And of course towns west of there in and around Fontana

Waynesville is a great town.....has a downtown area that survived the modern world and everyone is friendly.  It's also the gateway to a lot of outdoor sports and hardtop as you already know.    There is someone on this forum who lives there...but I can't for the life of me think of who it is right now.   
I would love to be your neighbor, maybe someday that would happen...then you could have two folks throwing acrons at ya!

I'm thinking a bit more west of Waynesville maybe near Robbinsville....
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2012, 07:27:46 AM »
It is the Town of Waynesville...that county is Haywood County...(There isn't a Waynesville County in NC)  Maggie Valley is next door and so is Clyde, Lake Junaluska, Silva, Cherokee, Gatlinburg, and several tourist towns more.   And of course towns west of there in and around Fontana

Can't trust Microsoft Maps for nuttin I tells ya....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Miss Silvera

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights