Author Topic: What happened to the UJM?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline red44

What happened to the UJM?
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »
The connie 10 or 14 would be sweet in the old style seating/bar/peg position.  I guess that is now called adventure touring.
What a cool bike that would be.  :) '74 jap ergos with todays advances in HP, brakes and electronics. I'm tired of leaning forward/feet up my ass to ride a sport tourer. And I ain't ready for the wind blowing up my pantlegs on a HD style cruser either. What's left? Does any of them make a 4 inline with the old days ergos? I'm not asking for much. They already make some some with plenty of power, I just want one I can sit on for more than 2 hours. Sittin upright, high bars,choice of riders pegs, passenger, or aftermaket hywsy .No need for antilock or traction control either. WTf, Pretty soon their gonna try to sell us on GPS auto-pilot on bikes. I WANT A MOTORCYCLE!

Offline TJ

Re: What happened to the UJM?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
Plenty for sale on craigslist. Look for a late model ZRX 1200 or Suzuki Bandit. Possibly a Honda Nighthawk 750 or Suzuki B King if you can find one.

What happend to them? Lots of people said they wanted one, very few bought them so they stopped building them.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »
While it doesn't come stock in the UJM mold, a C10 can be fitted out to be like one.  That's pretty much what I've done with mine. 

Kneesaver lowered pegs.  Taller, wider bars on a Storz adaptor that extend back more towards the rider than OEM. 

If you want more of a bench seat, the pre '94's are like that, or you can have one modded up.  I have settled on a Corbin for some time now.  It allows me to sit back further away from the tank.  Yes its firm (some say hard!) but it works for me.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline red44

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »
Not unhappy with my C-10 otherwise. I'm betting I will end up with an adapter and conventional bars. Just arrived is a set of snafs hiway pegs, which should help on the longer rides.  TJ the ZRX is just as tucked up as the connie, and thats 1  part of what I was talking about. Even the "naked" bikes have that feet position. The ZRX is a great bike IMO but not for more than an hour at a time. I'm trying to get my C-10 to where I can stay on it longer, so I can actually go on a day long ride and still walk after.
Stasch, I picked up a Corbin used, and it does'nt really fit me, the cut of the step is well back of where I would want it with stock bars plus Murphs risers. I still end up on the tank trying to sit upright. I suppose a bar adapter and conventional bars is where I'm headed next. I rode a 78 gs1000 for 12-13 years, I changed the bars and seat several times over the years (we all wanted more of a cafe racer then) but I'll say for doing long multi-state rides the stock seat and bars were the most comfortable. That seat height to peg to bar reach geometry is what I'm after without buying a goldwing.  :)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
I have a Corbin seat that looks just like the stocker. I hate it.  I have a Corbin like you are talking about and love it.  Wanna try a different Corbin?
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline red44

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »
Yes.
 I've nothing to loose by trying something different. The distance to the step on my stock seat is about right, but the stock seat lacks width and the firm foam of the corbin I have, which puts the step and width too far back for me, hope I explained that clearly.  I'm a 6 footer and there is still a full fist of free space behind my butt on this corbin.