Author Topic: New 2012 Yamaha FJR 1300  (Read 17809 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: New 2012 Yamaha FJR 1300
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
My toughest issues were the size of the bags and not enough options for fixing that issue. The tire pressure sensors and traction control are now must haves to me. The Yamaha let loose pretty easily on Monday (wet roads). The oil change was a complete PITA to me. The oil filter is side mounted with plastic body panel under it. I hated it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quYel40KGLI

I though the new FJR had throttle by wire with traction control. How did it compare performance wise? Power and handling?

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »
My 2012 I bought did not have traction control. It might have handled a little better on the twisties, but was very high revving on the highway (where I spend most my riding).
Joel from Maine.

Offline seagiant

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
My 2012 I bought did not have traction control. It might have handled a little better on the twisties, but was very high revving on the highway (where I spend most my riding).

Hi,
         Is the C14 better for smooth POWER!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 08:29:53 AM »
I haven't ridden an FJR, but have sat on quite a few.  The bike felt more touring than sport to me.  Windshield and dash seemed higher.  Mirrors are definitely higher, and the riding position felt more upright.

Since I am one of the rare concours riders who like the stock riding position, I definitely prefer the Connie over the FJR.  The only item I like better is the dual exhaust.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline seagiant

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 08:51:39 AM »
Hi,
        I'm afraid I would miss the power of the C14 over the FJR and the seat position is perfect to me at my age!

The Z-14 has more power admittedly but I don't think I would be happy with the seat position for hours at  time!

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
I missed everything about the Concours. I ended up doing an even swap from the 2012 FJR to a 2012 Counours.  I only made it 1100 miles on the Yamaha. It did nothing for me that I needed it too. The Concours is the true winner for me.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 05:38:26 PM »
Scaffolder, mind if I ask your physical dimensions? Height, inseam, etc? I'm considering the FJR/C14 option when I trade up, too. Ikn've got rises on the C-10, Kneesavers, Corbin seat w/Airhawk and it all works pretty well. I've sat on each and the C-14 seems to fit more "naturally" as it comes from the factory, if you know what I mean.

For comparison - I'm 6'4", 35 inseam, #13 boot, 250# weight, 18-36" shirt size  (2XL).

Thanks and sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »
i'm 6'2" and FYI all these bikes are for short jap folks  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
I missed everything about the Concours. I ended up doing an even swap from the 2012 FJR to a 2012 Counours.  I only made it 1100 miles on the Yamaha. It did nothing for me that I needed it too. The Concours is the true winner for me.

My favorite other color- great lookin' ride.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »
Scaffolder, mind if I ask your physical dimensions? Height, inseam, etc? I'm considering the FJR/C14 option when I trade up, too. Ikn've got rises on the C-10, Kneesavers, Corbin seat w/Airhawk and it all works pretty well. I've sat on each and the C-14 seems to fit more "naturally" as it comes from the factory, if you know what I mean.

For comparison - I'm 6'4", 35 inseam, #13 boot, 250# weight, 18-36" shirt size  (2XL).

Thanks and sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.
Ron

I am 6'2" with about a 34" inseam 12 boot, 240#, XL shirt. The FJR felt small. It is all the other things that the Kawasaki offers and the Yamaha does not. Especially the 3 year extendable warranty. The Kawasaki covers you better at highway speeds. So easy to add a trunk to the Concours. You need to purchase a good Givi kit and remove some of the plastic to add one to the FJR.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2014, 04:42:25 PM »
All the riders seem to be 150# too. Haven't been that weight in 40 years. Thanks guys.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 10:00:43 AM »
Interesting.....as the things you disliked about the FJR not having that the C14 does, I would much rather prefer an FJR. Still too many gremlins on the C14 for my liking and it still not having electronic cruise yet, and I found it to be a serious a pig when you are moving at a crawl. The C14 is still huge, needs reverse in a bad way......and I hate the TPS and FOB system. Other than the things I mentioned, I enjoyed mine pretty well for 4 years. Lighter and multi capable bikes are my thing, so glad we have some awesome choices out there for what meets our desires.  :thumbs:

By the way.....I would have to say that hands down the best touring machine that money can buy, would have to be the BMW 1200RT. Buddy of mine has one and it is quite the machine, so much lighter and nimble feeling than either an FJR or a C14, and it is LOADED with all the gadgets and toys that a machine like that should have.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
Some accurate info here, some not so much.  It just takes longer than a thousand miles I guess to find some of the stuff out.  The FJR has more room from the pegs to the seat in the highest of the FJR adjustable seat position so should be more relaxed for the longer legged rider.  Oil changes are just stupid easy even with highway pegs mounted that look factory on the bike!  I have sold a couple of mine that the new owner didn't notice them until ready to ride off... The torque of the FJR makes it easier to ride on most all roads.  In 5th gear as that is all the bike has, all of mine have gotten better fuel mileage than any of my Concours have...  No need to worry about the RPM's as you won't find many sitting around getting engine work!  You can put the factory trunk right on the FJR, or buy a SW Motech rack that bolts right on as well for the Givi, no plastic to remove.  You can put an upgraded rack on for serious hauling with brackets like is available for the C14 also.  The bags are mounted lower on the FJR, no kicking them getting on and off.  I have used the liners that were made for each bike in each bike's saddlebags actually.  Both are comparable in size, maybe a little bigger on the C14.  I have sets of each liners from all the buying and selling over the years of each to use.  Using the FJR liners in a Beemer bag now...  The handlebars and seat being factory adjustable are pretty neat options that are stock on the Yamaha.

Now that sounds like I haven't put any miles on the C14, huh...  I have had 2 and loved riding them while I had them just like I have the FJR's in the past.  Just  trying to add from what I have encountered also so that people that visit the site studying the bikes have more to read and go check out these bikes with the most info possible.  Both are great in their respective ways as I have said before!   :)

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 12:07:27 PM »
Some accurate info here, some not so much.  It just takes longer than a thousand miles I guess to find some of the stuff out.  The FJR has more room from the pegs to the seat in the highest of the FJR adjustable seat position so should be more relaxed for the longer legged rider.  Oil changes are just stupid easy even with highway pegs mounted that look factory on the bike!  I have sold a couple of mine that the new owner didn't notice them until ready to ride off... The torque of the FJR makes it easier to ride on most all roads.  In 5th gear as that is all the bike has, all of mine have gotten better fuel mileage than any of my Concours have...  No need to worry about the RPM's as you won't find many sitting around getting engine work!  You can put the factory trunk right on the FJR, or buy a SW Motech rack that bolts right on as well for the Givi, no plastic to remove.  You can put an upgraded rack on for serious hauling with brackets like is available for the C14 also.  The bags are mounted lower on the FJR, no kicking them getting on and off.  I have used the liners that were made for each bike in each bike's saddlebags actually.  Both are comparable in size, maybe a little bigger on the C14.  I have sets of each liners from all the buying and selling over the years of each to use.  Using the FJR liners in a Beemer bag now...  The handlebars and seat being factory adjustable are pretty neat options that are stock on the Yamaha.

Now that sounds like I haven't put any miles on the C14, huh...  I have had 2 and loved riding them while I had them just like I have the FJR's in the past.  Just  trying to add from what I have encountered also so that people that visit the site studying the bikes have more to read and go check out these bikes with the most info possible.  Both are great in their respective ways as I have said before!   :)

This is the mount I would have had to use to mount the Givi E55 that I have always used on the Concours' I've had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZa-58n5NkM

Compared to a Phil's Rack there is no comparison.

And here is a video of the messy oil change that is no comparison to the ease of the Concours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdVUR3SA4Sw

The Pannier size on the FJR is just under 30 L and the Concours is over 35 L. To me that is a huge difference, because I use my bikes for commuting to work and need to bring so much stuff with me on a daily basis that the FJR didn't give me the opportunity to put more miles on it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »
I would have done these bags if I kept it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 07:54:38 PM »
I am confused...  Never needed aluminum foil or YouTube to change oil on my bikes!  Again,  there are options for the rear rack and other things mentioned in this thread, that was the whole purpose of my comment...  sorry as I didn't mean to step on any toes, just help others reading!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »

The torque of the FJR makes it easier to ride on most all roads. 

This torque that you speak of, less must be better, right?
Just asking because I'm a little confused.....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2015, 05:35:19 AM »
Sorry, not sure what is confusing about the curve you attached or the one I have that appears closer to feeling right after putting so many miles on each brand bike discussed here.  Your curve shows the FJR putting out more torque at the RPM's that both bikes will see the most of when being ridden on the street by most riders.  The one I have attached does as well. 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2015, 06:32:53 AM »
I suppose if you spend all of your time under 3500 rpms. My last Harley spent most of it's 90k miles at 3500 or so...
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »
Now I understand!