Author Topic: I'm getting short!  (Read 13435 times)

Offline booger

Re: I'm getting short!
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
Conrad, I'm envious.  What kind of job do you have that gives a pension of 80% of your salary?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
OOps, see what happens when your retired,,, I forgot what year it was.    ;D

Fred

;D ;D ;D    :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 06:22:15 AM »
OOps, see what happens when your retired,,, I forgot what year it was.    ;D

Fred

When I'm on a vacation and having a good time I forget what day of the week it is. I can't wait to be retired and forget what year it is like you!   ;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 06:28:01 AM »
Conrad, I'm envious.  What kind of job do you have that gives a pension of 80% of your salary?

Civil service, I work for the state. We don't pay Social Security; instead we pay into the state's retirement fund. I did pay into SS before I started this job and I am vested with SS. I may even get a lil money from SS on top of my pension, maybe $100/month.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »
Good luck in this state C, seriously. I hope you get what's due.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:21 AM »
Good luck in this state C, seriously. I hope you get what's due.

Thanks G. I have my fingers and eyes crossed.   :o

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »
Word of advice from a friend....you probably should change your subject line.  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
Jay, you really shouldn't have posted Conrad's picture.  In the future, please check with said member before posting their picture.  ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
Jay, you really shouldn't have posted Conrad's picture.  In the future, please check with said member before posting their picture.  ::)

:rotflmao:

Only problem is I think me and C are about the same height, so it's pretty much a pic of me looking in the mirror...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
 :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 05:01:40 AM »
At least we have more hair than some folks around here...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
Yar.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2012, 03:45:55 PM »
Civil service, I work for the state. We don't pay Social Security; instead we pay into the state's retirement fund. I did pay into SS before I started this job and I am vested with SS. I may even get a lil money from SS on top of my pension, maybe $100/month.
Conrad, my Dad worked Civil Service for the Army National Guard. (To keep his Civil Service Job he had to be in the National Guard (warrant Officer). (40 years)

Like you, He paid into SS and then they changed the rules and had him pay (instead) into the Civil Service/State Retirement Fund.

Bottom line is, (because he paid into both) after he retired, he collected, Army (Reserve) Retirement, Civil Service, AND Social Security...

You may be in a similar situation...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2012, 04:30:17 AM »
Conrad, my Dad worked Civil Service for the Army National Guard. (To keep his Civil Service Job he had to be in the National Guard (warrant Officer). (40 years)

Like you, He paid into SS and then they changed the rules and had him pay (instead) into the Civil Service/State Retirement Fund.

Bottom line is, (because he paid into both) after he retired, he collected, Army (Reserve) Retirement, Civil Service, AND Social Security...

You may be in a similar situation...

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks, I'm hoping.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »
Welcome to the retirement club!!

Offline ugocon

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:06 AM »
Bah!  >:(
I'm almost 54 and worked for 28 years.
With the last reforms from our Goldman Sachs' employee (our PM Mario Monti) TODAY you need to have 42 years of work to retire.
This means that I cannot retire before I'm 67.
I said TODAY: the threshold will go farther as life expectation increases.
I doubt they will let me retire before I'm 70.
That wouldn't be much of a problem if I could count on a job until that date.
But I strongly doubt I'll keep my job until then: Companies get rid of older people first.
Moreover I also doubt that my Company will last more than few more years before it's merged/acquired with/by some other one and this usually accelerates the disposal of older people above...  ;) :(

Shortly (in very few years) I fear I'm going to face unemployment and believe me, here in Italy it's very hard (I'd say almost impossible) to find a new "regular" job for elderly people...

Two alternatives then:
- opening my own Company: about what?? not Consultancy because today Companies have to cut the costs and moreover they pay with years of delay (if not paying at all...). Perhaps the usual "Pizza shop"??? There are already too many and there's no room for new initiatives.
- emigrate. Find a Country where my experience can be appreciated or where my money savings can be multiplied by a low cost of life.

I know that when that time will come I'll find some kind of solution in order to reach the age of retirement with something to eat for me and my family but only time will tell.
Moreover, when I'll be allowed to retire, the monthly fee will be less than 50 % of my current salary.

I don't know why but I'm not feeling optimistic about my future...  :-[

Summing up: I envy you!!!!  >:(
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2012, 08:23:05 AM »
No reason to move to this country now. We're right behind you.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2012, 08:24:11 AM »
Welcome to the retirement club!!

Not there yet, 358 more days to go.  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »
Bah!  >:(
I'm almost 54 and worked for 28 years.
With the last reforms from our Goldman Sachs' employee (our PM Mario Monti) TODAY you need to have 42 years of work to retire.
This means that I cannot retire before I'm 67.
I said TODAY: the threshold will go farther as life expectation increases.
I doubt they will let me retire before I'm 70.
That wouldn't be much of a problem if I could count on a job until that date.
But I strongly doubt I'll keep my job until then: Companies get rid of older people first.
Moreover I also doubt that my Company will last more than few more years before it's merged/acquired with/by some other one and this usually accelerates the disposal of older people above...  ;) :(

Shortly (in very few years) I fear I'm going to face unemployment and believe me, here in Italy it's very hard (I'd say almost impossible) to find a new "regular" job for elderly people...

Two alternatives then:
- opening my own Company: about what?? not Consultancy because today Companies have to cut the costs and moreover they pay with years of delay (if not paying at all...). Perhaps the usual "Pizza shop"??? There are already too many and there's no room for new initiatives.
- emigrate. Find a Country where my experience can be appreciated or where my money savings can be multiplied by a low cost of life.

I know that when that time will come I'll find some kind of solution in order to reach the age of retirement with something to eat for me and my family but only time will tell.
Moreover, when I'll be allowed to retire, the monthly fee will be less than 50 % of my current salary.

I don't know why but I'm not feeling optimistic about my future...  :-[

Summing up: I envy you!!!!  >:(

I'm sorry man.  :grouphug:

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
I worked just over 10 years in SS, but I'm not counting on getting anything from it, even if it is $100/month. My plan was strictly my pension and whatever I put away on my own.  With that said, I should get a bit of a raise when I go as I won't be putting any money into a retirement fund or paying into a pension.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50