Author Topic: Glock Goes Concealed Carry: Could This New Gun Shake Up the Market?  (Read 14767 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Glock Goes Concealed Carry: Could This New Gun Shake Up the Market?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 10:16:02 PM »
I've owned a Kahr PM-9 for years, no one has beat it yet for slim dimensions and functionality.

+1  I love my PM-9, with Tritium night sights.  I wear a lot of "cargo pants" type stuff and usually have a big pocket to hide it in.  Slips into all my motorcycle jackets and the tank bag equally well.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 02:30:32 AM »
how is it going to shake up the market? For cryin' out loud, they're the last ones to the table with a single stack concealable 9. It's going to be hard to beat the S&W shield. Sure the fanboys will love it

A little late to posting, but I agree completely with the above.  I just bought a S&W Shield last week... the new package with factory night sights and 3 mags.  SWEET.   Compliments my M&P 9 Pro perfectly.

Glock might make some quality stuff, but it is always boxy, and usualy bigger, heavier, and less ergonomic than anything Ruger or S&W offer.  And yes, the LCP wins hands-down on the Glock 42 for size.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
Add me to the list for S&W Shield in 9mm. For a striker-fired pistol, I found the trigger to be very reasonable right out of the box.

And I like manual safeties.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »
Well, I'm "that guy" who buys the cheap gun because I have a hard time believing I'll ever get it back if it gets used as intended.  Not cheap as in crap, but cheap as in inexpensive.  Now that I'm in Texas, maybe it's not such a worry, but I've lived most of my life in Maryland and California, so...not known for kindness towards gun owners...

A while back, I took a chance on a Taurus 740 slim and absolutely love it for carry.  I've put 1000+ rounds through it and had three failures to feed - two from the same box of range ammo, one from a different box of range ammo.  I've never had a self defense round fail to feed or jam, it's the exact same dimensions as the 709 slim, but packs 7 .40 rounds.  I can fit it my cargo pants pocket with a pocket holster, sits pretty comfy at the small of the back in the DiSantis IWB, and fits perfectly into my bike jacket inner breast pocket with that pocket holster as well.  Shot a perfect 250 score on my concealed carry test with it, so it's accurate enough for its intended purpose.  And it cost $280 (+ $25 for a second mag). 

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 10:21:19 PM »
Well, I'm "that guy" who buys the cheap gun [...]A while back, I took a chance on a Taurus 740 slim and absolutely love it for carry.  [...] And it cost $280 (+ $25 for a second mag).

Yep, my very first gun so many years ago was a Taurus.  Was a good price.  $280 does make the $620 I sprung for the Shield seem really high.... (but $100 of that was the tritium sights, alone; and it did come with 3 mags, so the extra two should be worth at least another $70 or something).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
Yep, my very first gun so many years ago was a Taurus.  Was a good price.  $280 does make the $620 I sprung for the Shield seem really high.... (but $100 of that was the tritium sights, alone; and it did come with 3 mags, so the extra two should be worth at least another $70 or something).

My first .45 was a Taurus Millennium Pro. I had some ramp issues with it right off the bat, which the factory fixed. Unfortunately, that same handgun is caught up in a recall at the moment. It can go bang if you drop it. I've put it away and will send it in when they call for it.

I suspect that most of the time, Taurus makes an acceptable firearm. I just don't think I can stake my life on the specific issues that this one purports to have.

Semiautos are prone for issues as it is; wheel guns are much more reliable. I like semiautos, but they've got to be rock-solid for me in EDC.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
of all the possibles for concealed carry, my choice is always. wheel gun.
I want it to fire when needed.
and I want to be able to make it fire if it fails.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 05:03:23 PM »
My first .45 was a Taurus Millennium Pro.

And that was MY first one also- a 9mm Millennium (PT-111 or something?)

I had some ramp issues with it right off the bat, which the factory fixed. Unfortunately, that same handgun is caught up in a recall at the moment. It can go bang if you drop it. I've put it away and will send it in when they call for it.

I had to send my back for repair because of it jamming, when it came back, it was fixed... but it was a nightmare to strip and I ended up trading it in after owning it a decade.

I suspect that most of the time, Taurus makes an acceptable firearm. I just don't think I can stake my life on the specific issues that this one purports to have.

My thoughts, exactly

Semiautos are prone for issues as it is; wheel guns are much more reliable. I like semiautos, but they've got to be rock-solid for me in EDC.

The problems with revolvers are they cannot be made but so small, and they don't have much capacity.  They are more reliable, for sure.  That said, I have never had a single problem with any other semi (S&W & Ruger)... and we are talking thousands of rounds.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »
Semiautos have come a long way in just a few short years. A lot of variables in there, including ammo. Sometimes the gun is just fine, but doesn't like a certain type of ammo. Gotta spend time figuring out what kind of ammo the gun prefers.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 09:04:36 PM »
My Shield 9mm has never coughed. I've even used it for training classes. I have absolute faith in it. Steve

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 03:51:46 AM »
My Shield 9mm has never coughed. I've even used it for training classes. I have absolute faith in it. Steve

Ditto. Great little pistol.

But to illustrate some other semiautos that aren't so reliable, I've seen some trouble -- mostly palm safety spring -- with the Rock Island Armory .45s. These were NIBs and the problem has been corrected, but still...
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 09:01:57 AM »
When I got my Keltec P11 some 10-12 years ago I went right off and did a fluff-n-buff. Since that time I have shot 500-600 rounds thru it. Never a single problem with it. No FTF or FTE, nothing. It has gone bang every single time. I hate the plastic sights but other than that it has been a great little gun.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:38:34 PM by timsatx »

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
When I got my Keltec P11 some 10-12 years ago I went right off and did a fluff-n-buff. Since that time I have shot 500-600 rounds thru it. Never a single problem with it. No FTF or FTE, nothing. It has gone bang every single time. I have the plastic sights but other than that it has been a great little gun.

my first ccw was a keltec 380 (isn't everyones  ;) ) same deal, did a fluff and buff, several hundred punishing round later it still goes bang every time. Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 03:09:39 PM »
my first ccw was a keltec 380 (isn't everyones  ;) )

No, mine was/is a Ruger LCP

same deal, did a fluff and buff, several hundred punishing round later it still goes bang every time.

Same here

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
Kel Tec P3AT is mine.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 06:59:51 AM »
No, mine was/is a Ruger LCP

Same here

LCP... the Keltec guys refer to that as the "little copy pistol"  :o  Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
first one?

.45 long colt.... not fun to shoot, but effective...

only designed to save your life... if it needs saving....maybe....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline timsatx

• Arena

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
[www.youtube.com review]

My take on his review (and his review looked pretty well done)

Advantage S&W Shield:
-----------------------------
Capacity (+1)
Grip (comfort)
Sights (metal)
Barrel (recessed)
Mag (full metal)
Recoil (less)
Slide grip (better)
Price (by huge margin)
Warranty (lifetime)

Advantage Glock 43:
--------------------------
Takedown (ambi and 1 less step)
Trigger (smoother)
Weight (2 oz less)

Conclusion- unless you are a die-hard Glock fan, the Shield seems a much bigger winner.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2016, 11:45:28 AM »
Great review, and it squares with my own research and personal knowledge.

I may have mentioned upthread already, but my EDC is the 9mm Shield. I've carried several types and calibers over the years, and comfort is a big deal with me. The Smith provides decent firepower, exceptional reliability, and great value in a firearm that is both comfortable to wear and to shoot.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90