Author Topic: My Connie of 10 years totaled.(new bike update last post)  (Read 28101 times)

Offline jamiemac

Glad to hear you’re healing up well.  Wrist injuries are a mofo.  They take a long time to heal.  It sucks that the insurance adjuster won’t be there until the 29th, since it’s obviously totaled.
I bet he won't do anymore than walk up to it, check the vin (If it's readable. Guess I should look) and leave. Not really any hurry. I don't think I'll be riding this season, with this weak left hand, & I think they told my 6 month on the scapula fracture.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
I wish you the very best of luck with that paw but I must be honest: two physicians missed my scaphoid fracture (with clear, crisp X rays taken by both) before the orthopedist caught it. Again, I am not wishing this on you but it is the most common wrist fracture for males, almost always occurs when the hand is open (as opposed to a, say, boxing type of fracture) as yours was when gripping the handlebar.

There is good treatment for it with a pretty good likelihood of a successful outcome, although if hardware is used, the wrist will almost certainly bend up nearly as far as it did before. The good news there is that unless you are doing push- ups, or trying to communicate with the aliens in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, how often do you really bend your wrist very far 'up' anyway?

I am out of a permanent cast, or at least out of it some of the time (it is a hard cast but removable- really, really slick!) and now starting rehab. Man, does that suck. It is an exercise in finding out what hurts and then doing it.... a lot. Am now on pain meds. about 1/2 of the time (OTC Alleve), which I required for only a couple of days after surgery and a few days after the initial break.

So hopefully you are just 'beat up' in the wrist / hand area and all will be well. But the orthopedist will probably make very sure that is the case, and if not, treat it properly now and greatly reduce the risk of advanced arthritis AND a bone repair later.

A couple of years ago, when I had my little mishap on the C-14, the insurance co. was the only group that thought a C-14 was worth anything. They valued the bike at $10,700 (!!! an '08 with 99,000 miles on it!!). The bike was something like $7,000 because they do not recognize mileage as a devaluing factor. Then they gave me the full $3K or $3,500 allowance for accessories. The damage written was $5,500, which is actually amazing considering the bike was ride-able and would actually pass inspection other than a broken right hand mirror!

Brian

Got a call from the other driver's insurance today. (Farm Bureau) The adjuster won't come to look at the bike until the 29th of May. I'm OK with that though. Won't be back in the saddle for a bit. I'm already missing it though.

On another note, I feel like I'm healing up remarkably well. I'm using my left arm/shoulder for more simple tasks, and the range of motion is increasing. The swelling in my right knee is going down. I have some concern about the weakness and pain in my left hand, and it hasn't really been addressed by the docs yet. I'll talk to the orthopedic dude about that on the 23d.

Just a little update for the crew. Thanks for the support, guys. Really appreciate it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

I wish you the very best of luck with that paw but I must be honest: two physicians missed my scaphoid fracture (with clear, crisp X rays taken by both) before the orthopedist caught it. Again, I am not wishing this on you but it is the most common wrist fracture for males, almost always occurs when the hand is open (as opposed to a, say, boxing type of fracture) as yours was when gripping the handlebar.

There is good treatment for it with a pretty good likelihood of a successful outcome, although if hardware is used, the wrist will almost certainly bend up nearly as far as it did before. The good news there is that unless you are doing push- ups, or trying to communicate with the aliens in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, how often do you really bend your wrist very far 'up' anyway?

I am out of a permanent cast, or at least out of it some of the time (it is a hard cast but removable- really, really slick!) and now starting rehab. Man, does that suck. It is an exercise in finding out what hurts and then doing it.... a lot. Am now on pain meds. about 1/2 of the time (OTC Alleve), which I required for only a couple of days after surgery and a few days after the initial break.

So hopefully you are just 'beat up' in the wrist / hand area and all will be well. But the orthopedist will probably make very sure that is the case, and if not, treat it properly now and greatly reduce the risk of advanced arthritis AND a bone repair later.

A couple of years ago, when I had my little mishap on the C-14, the insurance co. was the only group that thought a C-14 was worth anything. They valued the bike at $10,700 (!!! an '08 with 99,000 miles on it!!). The bike was something like $7,000 because they do not recognize mileage as a devaluing factor. Then they gave me the full $3K or $3,500 allowance for accessories. The damage written was $5,500, which is actually amazing considering the bike was ride-able and would actually pass inspection other than a broken right hand mirror!

Brian
Damn, Brian. Your injury sounds so not fun. Ugh. I'm glad you're getting mostly better.

On another note, You've been a valuable source of information for me over the years, and that is MF priceless. Thanks Brother. That insurance info is very hope inspiring.

I figured about 8 hours of my time for installing My rostra cruise. You think that sounds reasonable? I charge people 50 an hour for my mechanic services. I figure that's my labor rate for insurance payouts, too.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline B.D.F.

Wow, thanks for the kind words. I am just another hack who likes to tinker with things and passes along what info. I think can be helpful because I like to see others succeed and be happy (fulfilled? more content with a production product?).

Yep, wrist is getting better. And it should continue to do so other than lifting the hand in the 'up' position relative to the wrist as I mentioned. Oh well, not a big deal- I <should> be able to ride and operate a clutch correctly.

The thing with motorcycle insurance is that they do not discount or acknowledge mileage, at least a few years ago. That means that those of us who ride a lot really get a break on resale value, at least according to the ins. companies if not the real world of motorcycle selling.

Yeah, I guess if you are familiar with the C-14 and removing the Tupperware 8 hours is possible though on the tight side IMO. I always tell people they should figure on a full weekend, if not a bit more. Besides, this is NOT a job you want to rush, especially around the throttle arm. Beware the old adage: if it can [fail, bind, lock, jam], it will. So extra care if required in the routing of the Rostra cable and the throttle arm attachment. And I always suggest spending some time literally opening and closing the throttle, while trying to get the cable to hook or catch on anything, before calling it a good install. Treat every installation as if the rider's life was in your hands.  ;)

As to the money, $50 an hour for a skilled mechanic is very reasonable. But again, I would beware of counting hours because it may make you tend to work a little faster if you see the end of your time envelope approaching and that is not the best way to handle a cruise control IMO. Perhaps a better way of looking at it is: if you get $400 to do an install, and have ample time available, do as good a job as you possibly can and if it goes over some number of hours, so be it. But take pride in the fact that you did your very best and probably did an outstanding job for the customer. I know that don't feed the bulldog but coming up a little short on dollars per hour while providing a valuable and appreciated, top- notch service is far, far better than making the arbitrary hourly rate and risk a come- back or worse, some type of mishap. Trust me- I am not making piles of money on my couple of silly products I sell but I do believe I may have the happiest customer base on the planet, and to the best of my knowledge, I never caused anyone any grief with my trinkets and that is good enough (I am not trying to make a living this way though, more of extending a courtesy to fellow C-14 riders).

Brian

Damn, Brian. Your injury sounds so not fun. Ugh. I'm glad you're getting mostly better.

On another note, You've been a valuable source of information for me over the years, and that is MF priceless. Thanks Brother. That insurance info is very hope inspiring.

I figured about 8 hours of my time for installing My rostra cruise. You think that sounds reasonable? I charge people 50 an hour for my mechanic services. I figure that's my labor rate for insurance payouts, too.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

Wow, thanks for the kind words. I am just another hack who likes to tinker with things and passes along what info. I think can be helpful because I like to see others succeed and be happy (fulfilled? more content with a production product?).

Yep, wrist is getting better. And it should continue to do so other than lifting the hand in the 'up' position relative to the wrist as I mentioned. Oh well, not a big deal- I <should> be able to ride and operate a clutch correctly.

The thing with motorcycle insurance is that they do not discount or acknowledge mileage, at least a few years ago. That means that those of us who ride a lot really get a break on resale value, at least according to the ins. companies if not the real world of motorcycle selling.

Yeah, I guess if you are familiar with the C-14 and removing the Tupperware 8 hours is possible though on the tight side IMO. I always tell people they should figure on a full weekend, if not a bit more. Besides, this is NOT a job you want to rush, especially around the throttle arm. Beware the old adage: if it can [fail, bind, lock, jam], it will. So extra care if required in the routing of the Rostra cable and the throttle arm attachment. And I always suggest spending some time literally opening and closing the throttle, while trying to get the cable to hook or catch on anything, before calling it a good install. Treat every installation as if the rider's life was in your hands.  ;)

As to the money, $50 an hour for a skilled mechanic is very reasonable. But again, I would beware of counting hours because it may make you tend to work a little faster if you see the end of your time envelope approaching and that is not the best way to handle a cruise control IMO. Perhaps a better way of looking at it is: if you get $400 to do an install, and have ample time available, do as good a job as you possibly can and if it goes over some number of hours, so be it. But take pride in the fact that you did your very best and probably did an outstanding job for the customer. I know that don't feed the bulldog but coming up a little short on dollars per hour while providing a valuable and appreciated, top- notch service is far, far better than making the arbitrary hourly rate and risk a come- back or worse, some type of mishap. Trust me- I am not making piles of money on my couple of silly products I sell but I do believe I may have the happiest customer base on the planet, and to the best of my knowledge, I never caused anyone any grief with my trinkets and that is good enough (I am not trying to make a living this way though, more of extending a courtesy to fellow C-14 riders).

Brian
I was just mainly trying to remember how long it took me to install my Rostra, and what I was going to charge the insurance for it. I don't believe I would take it on as a paying job, since I've only done it one time, and that was what, 7...8 years ago? You might be right about 8 hours being a little on the tight side, but I also don't wanna get more than it's actually worth in the settlement. If there's a maximum $ value the insurance will pay for accessories, I'm probably pretty close to that already.

Also, as far as being a skilled mechanic. I'm retired from that way of making a living, and my, $50 an hour price quote is a way of keeping the freeloaders at bay. LOL

Thanks again, Man. Jamie

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Most jobs like that are calculated at the shop rate for labor, which is normally in the range of $100/hr, give or take. It doesn’t matter if you value your time at $50/hr or $500/hr. They pay what is determined to be the going rate and time the “book” says it should take to do the job.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline jamiemac

Most jobs like that are calculated at the shop rate for labor, which is normally in the range of $100/hr, give or take. It doesn’t matter if you value your time at $50/hr or $500/hr. They pay what is determined to be the going rate and time the “book” says it should take to do the job.
Good point. Thanks!

Offline B.D.F.

I do not know how your ins. co. works but Progressive just assigned a max. value for "accessories", which was around $3000 as I said, and if the bike was totaled, as your most certainly is, they just add that number to the book value of the stock bike. No need to itemize anything. And the adjust looked at my bike and stated outright he would allow the full accessories value (top box, Corbin saddle, windshield, two Garmins, etc., etc.:  there was absolutely no doubt that there were more than $3K in accessories added to the bike.

Brian

I was just mainly trying to remember how long it took me to install my Rostra, and what I was going to charge the insurance for it. I don't believe I would take it on as a paying job, since I've only done it one time, and that was what, 7...8 years ago? You might be right about 8 hours being a little on the tight side, but I also don't wanna get more than it's actually worth in the settlement. If there's a maximum $ value the insurance will pay for accessories, I'm probably pretty close to that already.

Also, as far as being a skilled mechanic. I'm retired from that way of making a living, and my, $50 an hour price quote is a way of keeping the freeloaders at bay. LOL

Thanks again, Man. Jamie

Offline jamiemac

I do not know how your ins. co. works but Progressive just assigned a max. value for "accessories", which was around $3000 as I said, and if the bike was totaled, as your most certainly is, they just add that number to the book value of the stock bike. No need to itemize anything. And the adjust looked at my bike and stated outright he would allow the full accessories value (top box, Corbin saddle, windshield, two Garmins, etc., etc.:  there was absolutely no doubt that there were more than $3K in accessories added to the bike.

Brian
Cool. Good info. It's kind of convoluted. The other driver's insurance is Farm Bureau. My attorney filed my medical claim through my Jeep's insurance (Progressive) because it was better coverage than what was on the bike (Markel). But eventually, Farm Bureau will be the one who foots the bill. Farm Bureau won't be here to look at my scoot till Tuesday, the 29th. Not really a hurry on that.

Offline B.D.F.

Yeah, I was in the same boat: the person who hit me had some other ins. coverage. After three attempts to work with them (missed appointments, missed telephone calls), I called MY ins. co., which was Progressive, and they could not have been more accommodating. They came to me, looked over the bike, wrote an estimate on the spot and after I agreed to that estimate, cut me two checks from the printer in the car. Slick. Then they back- charged the other ins. co. but honestly, I really do not care about that; my end was painless, professional and smooth.

Brian

Cool. Good info. It's kind of convoluted. The other driver's insurance is Farm Bureau. My attorney filed my medical claim through my Jeep's insurance (Progressive) because it was better coverage than what was on the bike (Markel). But eventually, Farm Bureau will be the one who foots the bill. Farm Bureau won't be here to look at my scoot till Tuesday, the 29th. Not really a hurry on that.

Offline jamiemac

First bit of physical therapy on my shoulder today. Man, that was kinda unpleasant. I could hear the tendons going, "boiiinnng"traveling up my neck, and into my ears. Otherwise, I'm doing pretty good. Still, I don't think I'll be on a scoot this season. That's a bummer.

Later, Guys. Need a nap.

Offline B.D.F.

Hey, me too on my  wrist! Except instead of a 'boinging', my wrist made a crunching noise / feeling and that smarted pretty good. I actually thought I opened up the fractures but it only hurt for a moment and there has been no further pain, swelling or anything else so I am hoping it was a tendon as the PT therapist said it probably was. Although she was a lot more confident than I was.  ???

They stuck my arm into this 'heating' machine that I though was full of warm water but it was really warm sand, and then air jets started agitating the whole mess. It really loosened up my wrist, and after ten minutes of that, I got 10 and 15 degrees of additional bend out of the wrist (going up and down, not much improvement going side to side).

The surgeon said I have probably done my last push- up and that is fine but right now. I can barely raise my hand much above my forearm (with forearm on a flat table, the hand only comes up about 3" at the fingertips). If this does not get significantly better, I may have difficult with a motorcycle clutch. Then again, I can always spin the master cylinder [lever- down] so my hand does not have to bend so much to hold the grip and use the clutch. It is way to early to assume it will be that bad though so I am keeping 'happy thoughts' regarding improvement.

Brian

First bit of physical therapy on my shoulder today. Man, that was kinda unpleasant. I could hear the tendons going, "boiiinnng"traveling up my neck, and into my ears. Otherwise, I'm doing pretty good. Still, I don't think I'll be on a scoot this season. That's a bummer.

Later, Guys. Need a nap.

Offline jamiemac

Hey, me too on my  wrist! Except instead of a 'boinging', my wrist made a crunching noise / feeling and that smarted pretty good. I actually thought I opened up the fractures but it only hurt for a moment and there has been no further pain, swelling or anything else so I am hoping it was a tendon as the PT therapist said it probably was. Although she was a lot more confident than I was.  ???

They stuck my arm into this 'heating' machine that I though was full of warm water but it was really warm sand, and then air jets started agitating the whole mess. It really loosened up my wrist, and after ten minutes of that, I got 10 and 15 degrees of additional bend out of the wrist (going up and down, not much improvement going side to side).

The surgeon said I have probably done my last push- up and that is fine but right now. I can barely raise my hand much above my forearm (with forearm on a flat table, the hand only comes up about 3" at the fingertips). If this does not get significantly better, I may have difficult with a motorcycle clutch. Then again, I can always spin the master cylinder [lever- down] so my hand does not have to bend so much to hold the grip and use the clutch. It is way to early to assume it will be that bad though so I am keeping 'happy thoughts' regarding improvement.

Brian
The noises are kinda horrifying at first! I hope You don't get arthritis in that wrist. Damn, Brother. My knee is aching some today, so I guess I'm going to have to be careful about my sleeping positions.

Offline B.D.F.

Yeah, my wrist is hurting too- started last night and has not backed off sinse so no home PT today, some Alleve and maybe an alcohol massage (from the inside).

Funny thing happened today though- my wife went to her orthopedic surgeon to have some sutures removed from her foot. While there, I chatted with the surgeon and asked if tendons can make 'crunching' or 'grinding' sounds and he assured me that they did. He said tissue grows around and onto them and during rehab, with moving to (and a little beyond) the max. movement points, those tissues actually 'rip' off the tendon(s) so it can move normally. He said it is more a result of being in a cast than the actual surgery; with the limb immobilized and yet in a healing mode, the tissue grows pretty fast including in places, such as around tendons and joints, where it really should not be. I said I was afraid I re-broke my scaphoid and he said he would be amazed if that happened no matter how far a limb was pushed without a substantial striking force to go with the stretching, especially if there is a screw in the bone. So that made me feel a lot better about that 'crunch' in the wrist yesterday.

The number one reason my surgeon recommended surgery and the screw was to realign the bones to prevent arthritis in the future. He specifically said that even years later, he could re- break the bone and set it correctly but if he was doing that because I had developed arthritis, it would never fully recover from the then- existing arthritis.

Man, 'His & Her' orthopedic surgeons..... must be like dating for old people.  :o ::)   Makes me think of the line "You climb obstacles like old people f**k."   :rotflmao:

Brian

The noises are kinda horrifying at first! I hope You don't get arthritis in that wrist. Damn, Brother. My knee is aching some today, so I guess I'm going to have to be careful about my sleeping positions.

Offline jamiemac

"You climb obstacles like old people f**k."   :rotflmao:

Brian
Haha! I saw FMJ the first weekend pass I had between basic training and AIT, back in 87. LOL

Offline jamiemac

Just a note. I'm feeling up to taking an inventory of the frequently needed good parts on the motor scoot. I'll do my best to let folks know when Iv'e got something off, and if it's usable or not. I'm probably not going to get another Concours, if I ever get to feeling the riding bug again. So, things like My Laam seat, and other good parts will go to good homes. I'm still feeling out my left arm for doing some wrench turning, but so far, so good.

Offline B.D.F.

If..... if? You <may> not ride going forward? I understand you have been hurt but I just kinda' expected you would be coming back for round 2 or 3 or 28. Not that I would blame you or anyone else for walking away from riding....

Glad to hear you are making progress with mobility. My wrist is getting better surprisingly quickly too after the first PT (I go again tomorrow).

Wow, I feel like we are two old people in a nursing home talking about the most gentle heart burn treatment.  ::)   ;D

Brian

Just a note. I'm feeling up to taking an inventory of the frequently needed good parts on the motor scoot. I'll do my best to let folks know when Iv'e got something off, and if it's usable or not. I'm probably not going to get another Concours, if I ever get to feeling the riding bug again. So, things like My Laam seat, and other good parts will go to good homes. I'm still feeling out my left arm for doing some wrench turning, but so far, so good.

Offline jamiemac

If..... if? You <may> not ride going forward? I understand you have been hurt but I just kinda' expected you would be coming back for round 2 or 3 or 28. Not that I would blame you or anyone else for walking away from riding....

Glad to hear you are making progress with mobility. My wrist is getting better surprisingly quickly too after the first PT (I go again tomorrow).

Wow, I feel like we are two old people in a nursing home talking about the most gentle heart burn treatment.  ::)   ;D

Brian
That's kickass about Your wrist, Man! I figure, I'm not going to be capable of riding till next season, anyways. I might as well let the good parts left on the scoot do some of the brothers here some good. I really like the new Goldwings, and by next year, there might be a few used ones on the market. The airbag technology on them seems to be pretty solid.

I definitely don't want to be one of those old dudes that always complains about my aches and pains. It would never stop. Heck, I was a paratrooper. I'm supposed to hurt. Haha

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
I definitely don't want to be one of those old dudes that always complains about my aches and pains. It would never stop.

I don't even think I am "old" quite yet, and I am already sick and tired of MY OWN complaining about aches and pains.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

Yeah, not one to whine myself.

Not to hijack your thread but another trip to the rehab. and results are better than expected: overall, about 80% of function / movement returned which is far more than the therapist (or I) expected. Wrist <seems> to be healing well, and mobility returning. Wised up and took Alleve BEFORE P.T. instead of after so pain is minimal. They extended me two appoints for P.T., for a total of six at one- week intervals. Seven weeks since surgery and 8 weeks since breaking the bone so it is going better than I had been led to belief (that is NOT a complaint!).

Ran into a pile of firewood for the taking right after P.T. appointment- here is to hoping that the wrist is up to some light duty use in retrieving said firewood.

Brian

That's kickass about Your wrist, Man! I figure, I'm not going to be capable of riding till next season, anyways. I might as well let the good parts left on the scoot do some of the brothers here some good. I really like the new Goldwings, and by next year, there might be a few used ones on the market. The airbag technology on them seems to be pretty solid.

I definitely don't want to be one of those old dudes that always complains about my aches and pains. It would never stop. Heck, I was a paratrooper. I'm supposed to hurt. Haha