Author Topic: Glad to find a C 14 forum. Just took delivery.  (Read 5583 times)

Offline alansides

• Spring has sprung
Glad to find a C 14 forum. Just took delivery.
« on: March 15, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
Glad to have found a C14 forum.
For a little background; I'm a 50 yo male here.
Have been riding since I was 12.
My first bike was a Kawasaki and this last one (the Concourse I just bought) will probably be the last as I'm rapidly getting to old to get my leg over the seat.
I progressed over the past 38 years of riding from a 100 enduro in the woods of Northern Maine to a series of street bikes; CB 350, CM 450, Nighthawk 750, GS 1150, VTX 1300 to now the C14 here in Detroit.
I gave a V-Twin a try with the last bike, the VTX 1300 back in 04 and I was glad to be rid of it.
It looked good and was low to the ground but there is no comparing the performance of a 4:1.
I've had the dealer add a Corbin trunk to my new 14 already and expect to pick up a lot of good tips from all the experienced riders here.
Such as the best way to attach a garage door opener, my phone as a GPS and where to buy a cheap plug for the swing arm bolt and maybe even a battery tender.
A few other questions I am looking to answer as well are the best ways to pull the bars back, what is the best throttle lock, is the KW tank bag worth the $ and there will probably be more as the wife and I start touring around and I get accustomed to the forum.

Is the Kawasaki motto still; "Let the good times roll"?

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: Glad to find a C 14 forum. Just took delivery.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum, alansides! :chugbeer:
Glad you found us. You'll find a lot of help here farkling your machine. There have been some articles on here about all the questions you're asking. The search feature can be your friend. Others will chime in on them also. By the way...we do like pictures, hint hint.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
Also check out the official COG club forum at;
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
My last bike was a vtx1300 too! Welcome to the forum. Coming from the vtx I can say I LOVE the c14! Hope you enjoy yours too.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 07:27:28 PM »
Welcome!  :chugbeer:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
Greetings and salutations! Welcome to the forum. May you have many a carefree miles, too. I to purchased a new 2014 ZG1400 last week and very glad for it.
Cheers, Mate.
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:11:56 PM »
My first bike was a Kawasaki and this last one (the Concourse I just bought) will probably be the last as I'm rapidly getting to old to get my leg over the seat.
I progressed over the past 38 years of riding from a 100 enduro in the woods of Northern Maine to a series of street bikes; CB 350, CM 450, Nighthawk 750, GS 1150, VTX 1300 to now the C14 here in Detroit.
I gave a V-Twin a try with the last bike, the VTX 1300 back in 04 and I was glad to be rid of it.
It looked good and was low to the ground but there is no comparing the performance of a 4:1.
I've had the dealer add a Corbin trunk to my new 14 already and expect to pick up a lot of good tips from all the experienced riders here.
Such as the best way to attach a garage door opener, my phone as a GPS and where to buy a cheap plug for the swing arm bolt and maybe even a battery tender.
A few other questions I am looking to answer as well are the best ways to pull the bars back, what is the best throttle lock, is the KW tank bag worth the $ and there will probably be more as the wife and I start touring around and I get accustomed to the forum.

Are you kidding?!?!?!? I am 67 and have been riding since I was 19 and expect to own several more motorcycles!
You will love the one you are getting but you can still dream about the next one you might get.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:33:51 PM »

Ha, ha, you much funny joke :)

60.93 years 'young' here, still wail on my C-10 in the corners, ask anybody here. Have a buddy in his 70's, two titanium knees, we'll wail in the corners dual (when we ride together).

Age is a matter of the mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
They have wonderful drugs now (legit/legal in all 50 states), as well as marvelous outpatient surgery.

Oh, welcome to the nut house, you'll like it here :)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline alansides

• Spring has sprung
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »
Thanks all.

I already see all the answers to my questions and more.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:06 PM »
Alansides, welcome!

More than a few of us grinned at your comment about this being your last bike.
In COG, I think the "average age" is probably 4-5 years older than you are now...
(I'm 63 and just moved to a 2014 C-14 like yours).

Your gonna like it here!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
Welcome Alan! I also had a 2004 VTX 1300. I actually thought that was pretty fast... right up until I tried just about any other bike.  :rotflmao:

Offline Doenitz

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
I'm 63 and still wearing out the tires on all four of my bikes, including the C14.  At 50 you have a whole lot of saddle time yet.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 07:18:53 AM »
Alan
Welcome.  I'm sure you will find a ton of information. 

As for an answer to your first few items... For the garage door remote I use http://www.chamberlain.com/clicker-and-accessories/garage-door-controls/chamberlain-keychain-remote-control in my jacket pocket.  As for my phone- just a 3" piece of heavy duty Velcro keeps it in place.  I just replace it a few times a year.  Local hardware store sells it for less than $2/foot. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:45 AM »

https://youtu.be/CQpBUQ-ZSKw