Author Topic: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)  (Read 28301 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Re: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »
Did someone say Vegemite?  I had the distinct displeasure of being introduced to that profoundly nasty delicacy.  (Initiation A social get-together when I made Chief)  I was intrigued by Marmite, never had the pleasure of eating it, so I looked it up...

OMG!!! https://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-marmite-and-why-is-it-so-good-240563

This is chemical warfare I tell you.  :doublepuke:

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
jelly & jam:

Jam is something (usually fruit based) that you spread on bread & butter

Jelly is something you have with blancmange at children's birthday parties :)

Do you guys have marmalade?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2018, 03:58:52 AM »
jelly & jam:

Jam is something (usually fruit based) that you spread on bread & butter

Jelly is something you have with blancmange at children's birthday parties :)

Do you guys have marmalade?

Orange marmalade....

how about preserves? As in strawberry preserves.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2018, 05:36:54 AM »
Orange marmalade....

how about preserves? As in strawberry preserves.
Preserves are a type of Jam with a higher fruit content

Im quite partial to lime marmalade :)

---

Jam and preserves are basically the same thing and the terms are often used interchangeably.

Jam is a mixture made of crushed preserved fruit and sugar -- with or without pectin, depending on the pectin content of the fruit. High-pectin fruit will set well once the fruit and sugar have been boiled and pectin is activated. You may need to add pectin to lower-pectin fruit.

The word preserves means fruit that is cooked the same way; the only difference is that the fruit in preserves is often cut into chunks or in some cases whole, whereas jam may have a less chunky texture.
--

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
My brit neighbor in the cubicle next to me just referred to his living room as a "lounge". In US homes we have living rooms, family rooms and dens. But a lounge is something you might find in a hotel lobby.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
My brit neighbor in the cubicle next to me just referred to his living room as a "lounge". In US homes we have living rooms, family rooms and dens. But a lounge is something you might find in a hotel lobby.

At home we use the words interchangeably a lot of the time.

That said a house with only one reception room downstairs (such as mine) is more likely to refer to it as a lounge (ie downstairs I have a lounge,kitchen & utility room)

House with 2 or more reception rooms are likely to refer to it as a living room. (ie a living room, dining room, kitchen, utility room )

But that's not hard and fast
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2018, 02:27:44 PM »
In this area, we tend to use living room and 'parlor' interchangeable.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »
Earlier when we were discussing "flats" I forgot to mention "front rooms".  Because of the narrow shotgun style design front to back of Living Room--> Dining room--> Kitchen, the living room was frequently referred to as the "front room".

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2018, 03:22:41 PM »
Earlier when we were discussing "flats" I forgot to mention "front rooms".  Because of the narrow shotgun style design front to back of Living Room--> Dining room--> Kitchen, the living room was frequently referred to as the "front room".

although when growing up as a kid we referred to the room to the right as you came in as the front room.

The room in front of you was the back room which led onto the kitchen.

But that may just have been a family thing lol
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2018, 06:58:48 PM »
Preserves are a type of Jam with a higher fruit content

Im quite partial to lime marmalade :)

---

Jam and preserves are basically the same thing and the terms are often used interchangeably.

Jam is a mixture made of crushed preserved fruit and sugar -- with or without pectin, depending on the pectin content of the fruit. High-pectin fruit will set well once the fruit and sugar have been boiled and pectin is activated. You may need to add pectin to lower-pectin fruit.

The word preserves means fruit that is cooked the same way; the only difference is that the fruit in preserves is often cut into chunks or in some cases whole, whereas jam may have a less chunky texture.

I'm eating homemade damson preserves that my mother in law did back in the mid-80's.  A vintage batch that's primo would be so thick that you could fill potholes with it.   If you were to throw the jar against a brick wall, the glass would break but the contents would retain the shape of the jar!  Good stuff!  And believe it or not, it's held up over 30 years.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
In this area, we tend to use living room and 'parlor' interchangeable.

Brian

Parlor's are where you go to visit dead people before they're buried...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2018, 07:12:08 PM »
....or hookers before they're  :censored:.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2018, 07:27:16 PM »
Hadn't thought of that one.. :rotflmao:

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2018, 02:51:03 AM »
couple more that have come to mind for one reason or another.

Injections. We would say we're going for our jabs, I believe you guys refer to them as shots (which I associate with alcohol)

Loosely related ( as it can happen after consuming too much alcohol) is vomiting.

Typically we would say " I'm being sick" or "I've just been sick" however depending on company then you might also "chunder" ,"spew","barf", "make a pavement pizza", "puke", "throw up" or even say " I'm just going to answer/use the big white telephone"

WHat do you guys use?
--

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2018, 09:51:31 AM »
This could be a separate thread:  Different names for puking!

Typically we’d say “He/She got sick”.  But the more colorful terms...

Blowing chunks
Tossing your cookies
Laughing at your shoes
Technicolor yawn
Talking to Ralph on the big white telephone
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2018, 10:06:26 AM »
Praying to the porcelain god.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
Upchuck
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
Let's talk poop.

I'm in the U.S. and I've always heard

Pleasantly: "Use the bathroom" or "Use the restroom"

Less pleasant: "Take a dump", "Take a crap", "Take a s**t" and "Go poop".

A couple alternates: "Negotiating the release of the chocolate hostages." and "Droppin' the kids off at the pool."

What are the alternatives on the other side of the 'pond'. (no pun intended)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »
Let's talk poop.

I'm in the U.S. and I've always heard

Pleasantly: "Use the bathroom" or "Use the restroom"

Less pleasant: "Take a dump", "Take a crap", "Take a s**t" and "Go poop".

A couple alternates: "Negotiating the release of the chocolate hostages." and "Droppin' the kids off at the pool."

What are the alternatives on the other side of the 'pond'. (no pun intended)

with the exception of "restroom" (which isnt really a British expression) that pretty much covers it/

Although you may take a visit to the khazi to take a dump or you might just need to spend a penny
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
Interesting- I did not know you used that term 'jabs'. I do know it seems to throw UK folk off when we use the term "rubbing alcohol", which is isopropyl alcohol..... or the kind they 'rub' on your arm before inserting the syringe. And yes, the most common term would be getting a 'shot' to mean an injection.

The way you are using the word 'sick' and 'ill' would not work quite right here. We could and occasionally do use the term 'sick' for vomit but it would need helper words such as 'had an upset stomach and finally got sick at 10 o'clock' to make it work. We just use the words 'sick' and 'ill' to men "unwell", not any specific physical act. In fact, usually not at all related: Taking a 'sick day' from work usually means a cold, flu or similar and does not infer vomiting at all.

The idioms for vomit kinda' sorta' explain themselves. I guess the one I would use most, in a crude setting, would be 'blow lunch'. More respectable circumstances would either be 'throw up' or actually vomit to mean vomit. :-)

Brian

couple more that have come to mind for one reason or another.

Injections. We would say we're going for our jabs, I believe you guys refer to them as shots (which I associate with alcohol)

Loosely related ( as it can happen after consuming too much alcohol) is vomiting.

Typically we would say " I'm being sick" or "I've just been sick" however depending on company then you might also "chunder" ,"spew","barf", "make a pavement pizza", "puke", "throw up" or even say " I'm just going to answer/use the big white telephone"

WHat do you guys use?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com