Author Topic: Rostra install cable end Caution  (Read 10558 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Rostra install cable end Caution
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »

I'm sure many will say "WELL DUH!, fm".

I just wanted to emphasize that during a Rostra CC install that the threading of the cable
end and it's install into the snap in adapter must be secure. I know, well DUH!  :-[

I was enjoying a little brief WOT acceleration yesterday and when I backed off, it didn't back off
as much as I was expecting it to. I shifted into fourth and when the clutch was pulled in the revs took off.
OH OH...stuck throttle! It wasn't too terrible when it was in gear so I moderated my speed with
an on-off-on-off of the kill switch and found a bit of shade (low 90s) from the Texas sun. My initial suspect
was that the CC cable had caught on something, and that I would have some crow to eat courtesy
of those that thought I should use the cable connection instead of the ball chain connection. Luckily for me
I had with me, the three* Allen/hex key wrenches needed to remove the covers to see what was going on.
It turns out that I must have hit a bump or something during the brief WOT session and the Rostra cable
end came out of the snap in adapter. Instead of reentering the adapter when I let off the throttle, it
caught on the edge and held the throttle partially open.  So I don't have to eat crow about using the ball chain
connector, but merely suffer some embarrassment over my apparently sloppy install of the cable end into the snap
in adapter.  :-[ ::)  :(    I removed the ball chain from the end of the throttle arm and then put most of the plastic
back on and continued home without further incident. To be properly repaired tomorrow.  ;)

* 5mm & 4mm for screws and the smallest 1.27mm to remove the push
pin under the windshield.

A special shout out to Gentis Pasta House in Ponder Texas for use of their parking lot (cement, nice!   :thumbs: ).

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Rostra install cable end Caution
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
I see you added an extention arm to the throttle stop arm. I've been thinking about doing that to smooth out the CC. Mine is connected directly to the throttle stop arm and has too much command which makes it surge in 4th gear or less. If I do I will have to make sure to bend the extention inward slightly to have enough clearance from that outer brace. Thanks for the write up.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
 :o

That's some scary stuff FM, good job of staying calm.  :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »
It wasn't too terrible when it was in gear so I moderated my speed with
an on-off-on-off of the kill switch

Were you a WW1 pilot in a previous life? Early WW1 aircraft had no throttle and pilots used an ignition interrupt switch on the stick and moderated speed on landing the same way you did. Like ZG said, good job!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »
I see you added an extention arm to the throttle stop arm. I've been thinking about doing that to smooth out the CC. Mine is connected directly to the throttle stop arm and has too much command which makes it surge in 4th gear or less. If I do I will have to make sure to bend the extention inward slightly to have enough clearance from that outer brace. Thanks for the write up.

Don't bend it until you're sure you need to. You can't tell on that stuck throttle picture, but my closest clearance
issue is not the outer brace but higher up. I doubt the little upward curve I put in the arm is needed (it seemed to make
sense at the time), if it wasn't curved I wouldn't have a clearance issue at the top.

Were you a WW1 pilot in a previous life? Early WW1 aircraft had no throttle and pilots used an ignition interrupt switch on the stick and moderated speed on landing the same way you did. Like ZG said, good job!
  ;D

Well, before too much praise of my skills piles up, let's be clear, my throttle was not stuck wide open. It was
only open as much as shown it the photo with the red lines. It caught my attention for sure, but it wasn't as scary
as a bunch of gravel in a turn or a bouncing tire carcass appearing from under the wheels of a vehicle ahead.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
Don't bend it until you're sure you need to. You can't tell on that stuck throttle picture, but my closest clearance
issue is not the outer brace but higher up. I doubt the little upward curve I put in the arm is needed (it seemed to make
sense at the time), if it wasn't curved I wouldn't have a clearance issue at the top.

;D

Well, before too much praise of my skills piles up, let's be clear, my throttle was not stuck wide open. It was
only open as much as shown it the photo with the red lines. It caught my attention for sure, but it wasn't as scary
as a bunch of gravel in a turn or a bouncing tire carcass appearing from under the wheels of a vehicle ahead.

Great pic! Thank you! Yeah it looks like you could just make that straight. I think this is going to be one of my winter to do list on the bike. I'd like to be able to use the CC in 4th at lower speeds and adding an arm like you did I think would do the trick.

BTW to attach the small cable (not the ball chain) to the throttle arm I also used a threaded hole, lock tite and no nut to keep the whole thing slim with lots of clearance.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »
If I am following you correctly, you did not snap the square cable sheath mounting nut all the way into the sheet metal bracket?

By the way, that second photo looks like some Space Invader type of alien was riding that C-14, parked it and tried to run away [when suddenly] some human (the star of the TV show for example) killed said alien, said alien disappeared and its motorcycle suit just crumpled down on the sidewalk. At least that is what it looks like to me....

Brian

I'm sure many will say "WELL DUH!, fm".

I just wanted to emphasize that during a Rostra CC install that the threading of the cable
end and it's install into the snap in adapter must be secure. I know, well DUH!  :-[

<snip>

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
......alien disappeared and its motorcycle suit just crumpled down on the sidewalk.
I'm pre-alien era, more like the Wiz era...I'm melting..melting...oh what a world ..what a world...

If I am following you correctly, you did not snap the square cable sheath mounting nut all the way into the sheet metal bracket?
I had the square cable sheath snap in adapter already snapped in when
I mounted the bracket. Then I pushed the cable up in there, but not far enough or secure enough. If
I had worked as hard making sure that the cable was secure, as I did making sure the bracket was secure,
then this never would have happened. Basically I screwed up by not screwing it in. It did stay in place
for 13 months.  ::)  This time I'll make sure that a good tug won't pull it out. Perhaps I'll reinforce it with some cable ties
as extra insurance. I think I'll need to shorten the ball chain a bit.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:49:16 PM »
Pre- alien? Doesn't seem possible. That movie was made back in the early days of the LED.  By the way, I am watching the director's cut of Alien right now and it is still an outstanding movie, all these years later....

Back to the point, the only square bracket I remember being in the Rostra parts bag was one meant to thread onto the Rostra throttle cable sheath, not be 'pushed' into it. ??  In fact the instructions said to 'thread' the sheath by running a 1/4-20 nut onto the sheath for some distance more than needed. I remember 'cause I thought it was the silliest thing I had seen.... threading something with a nut, but it really did <more or less> work. You then screw the square, plastic nut onto the sheath and inserting the nut into the square hole in the bracket prevents it from unthreading. If you used that same nut and just pushed the sheath through it, it almost certainly would not grip onto the sheath correctly. ?? Besides all of that, I would not trust anything I could push into a place by hand (easy boys!) to stay put. It is the threads that were sorta' formed by rotating the nut onto the sheath that secure the nut in position on the sheath.

Unless I am missing something which is entirely possible. ??

Brian

I'm pre-alien era, more like the Wiz era...I'm melting..melting...oh what a world ..what a world...
 I had the square cable sheath snap in adapter already snapped in when
I mounted the bracket. Then I pushed the cable up in there, but not far enough or secure enough. If
I had worked as hard making sure that the cable was secure, as I did making sure the bracket was secure,
then this never would have happened. Basically I screwed up by not screwing it in. It did stay in place
for 13 months.  ::)  This time I'll make sure that a good tug won't pull it out. Perhaps I'll reinforce it with some cable ties
as extra insurance. I think I'll need to shorten the ball chain a bit.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
If you used that same nut and just pushed the sheath through it, it almost certainly would not grip onto the sheath correctly. ??
That's what I'm sayin'. Thus the "Well DUH" comment I made. You've just said the same thing but used a whole bunch of words to do
it. You practicing for running for office soon?  ;D  It did hold it somehow for 13 months, but since I was hoping for somewhat longer (that's what she said), I would have to agree that pushing it in doesn't hold it correctly.

Unless I am missing something which is entirely possible. ??

Yeah sorta, in my attempt to save others from the same dumb mistake, I tried to call myself a dumb ass so no one else would
( I think the term is preemptive strike?) . You haven't, but you are building a fancy frame around it and putting it up in lights!  :P  :)
It's OK, I can handle it  :thumbs:, I just hope the whole post doesn't have a negative affect on the Rostra selection
for others, because it really is a fine unit. It has added considerable benefit for my enjoyment of the touring side of the C14, as much
or more than I think the near term install of a set of PR3s will add to the Sport side of my C14.
 I think it's pretty clear by now (Thanks Brian!  ;D ) that this was MY screw up
and in no way should it have a negative or chilling effect on others considering the Rostra install.

I just hope I don't have to take off that bottom cover to fix this, as I have a Top Block slider there now
that wasn't there when I did the Rostra install.  ::)

Pre- alien? Doesn't seem possible. That movie was made back in the early days of the LED.

:rotflmao: Yeah, in addition to being a Rostra install screw up, I'm old too.  :)  OK, maybe I didn't see the Wizard of Oz when it
was first released, but I did see "The Thing (from another world)" [1951]with James Arness
on a round CRT black and white Philco TV as a kid.
We kept the TV next to the rotary dial telephone that had the old dial tone.
...but we digress.

So just to stay on topic, don't do what I did.    Screw the sheath into the snap-in adapter!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
Hey, I am not breaking your chops Marty, just trying to understand what you were talking about. And as I already said, I am a bit surprised the sheath even fit in the plastic nut without being threaded first. And I was not trying to call you anything- if I was, I would just come out and say it. Everybody 'steps in it' now and then and your mishap certainly was not horrible, especially so because it did not cause harm beyond what sounds like a mild annoyance.

As far as age goes, you may well be older than dirt but I think I am older than you....  ;D

Brian

That's what I'm sayin'. Thus the "Well DUH" comment I made. You've just said the same thing but used a whole bunch of words to do
it. You practicing for running for office soon?  ;D  It did hold it somehow for 13 months, but since I was hoping for somewhat longer (that's what she said), I would have to agree that pushing it in doesn't hold it correctly.

Yeah sorta, in my attempt to save others from the same dumb mistake, I tried to call myself a dumb ass so no one else would
( I think the term is preemptive strike?) . You haven't, but you are building a fancy frame around it and putting it up in lights!  :P  :)
It's OK, I can handle it  :thumbs:, I just hope the whole post doesn't have a negative affect on the Rostra selection
for others, because it really is a fine unit. It has added considerable benefit for my enjoyment of the touring side of the C14, as much
or more than I think the near term install of a set of PR3s will add to the Sport side of my C14.
 I think it's pretty clear by now (Thanks Brian!  ;D ) that this was MY screw up
and in no way should it have a negative or chilling effect on others considering the Rostra install.

I just hope I don't have to take off that bottom cover to fix this, as I have a Top Block slider there now
that wasn't there when I did the Rostra install.  ::)

:rotflmao: Yeah, in addition to being a Rostra install screw up, I'm old too.  :)  OK, maybe I didn't see the Wizard of Oz when it
was first released, but I did see "The Thing (from another world)" [1951]with James Arness
on a round CRT black and white Philco TV as a kid.
We kept the TV next to the rotary dial telephone that had the old dial tone.
...but we digress.

So just to stay on topic, don't do what I did.    Screw the sheath into the snap-in adapter!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
Interesting thread...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
Hey, I am not breaking your chops Marty, just trying to understand what you were talking about. And as I already said, I am a bit surprised the sheath even fit in the plastic nut without being threaded first. And I was not trying to call you anything- if I was, I would just come out and say it. Everybody 'steps in it' now and then and your mishap certainly was not horrible, especially so because it did not cause harm beyond what sounds like a mild annoyance.

As far as age goes, you may well be older than dirt but I think I am older than you....  ;D

Brian
No worries, I took it in a friendly way. (I was even smiling while I typed) I thought you were just jabbing a little like between friends.
I like to think of myself as moderately intelligent with the ability to be a dumb ass. I apparently I need to prove
it to myself (the dumbass ability) on a regular basis. In this instance it took 13 months for the proof to materialize. :D
It's nice to know how few tools are needed and how little time it takes to get the plastic off
on the side of the road when one has too. That was a nice up side of the event.
 Metric Allen wrenches, don't leave home with out them!

As for which one of us is more older than dirt, well we'll compare driver's licenses over some cold
beverages in Idaho Falls next year.  :chugbeer:  Perhaps a wager would be involved, what/how much would I
need to put up against Kirby.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 04:39:51 AM »
No worries, I took it in a friendly way. (I was even smiling while I typed) I thought you were just jabbing a little like between friends.
I like to think of myself as moderately intelligent with the ability to be a dumb ass.

And bordering on Twit mode.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 08:49:37 AM »
And bordering on Twit mode.... ;)

Yeah, unfortunately I can do that too.  :-[

I think I might have been in that mode as finished up the Rostra install last year.
The cable had less than a 1/4 inch of threads on it which I guess I thought I could just force up in
there since they were "formed" instead of cut. Anyway, it's fixed now, and the cable end is
screwed into the snap-in adapter. I had to remove one ball to shorten the ball chain.

Since I was in there, I decided to take another look around to see if there was anything else I had
messed up during the original install. I found that I had left the little air box catch bottle behind the bottom
cover so I worked that back out to where it was supposed to be. I couldn't find anything else wrong,
so I double checked for possible snag locations for the ball chain to catch on. There is a cable tie around
the large gray wire bundle with a push plug and pull tab that I tried to get the chain to catch on but it wouldn't.
I decided that it still had potential so I pulled out the cable tie plug and removed the tie and turned it around
so that the pull tab was facing out on the other side of the cable from the ball chain side. I also was unable to get the
ball chain to catch on the end of the cable tie plug, still I thought about trimming the plug a bit. However it was
so nicely rounded that I though trimming it might just give it a sharp edge that might be worse.
Hopefully that is the end of that problem.