Author Topic: Rostra Cruise  (Read 10862 times)

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
Rostra Cruise
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
Installed a Rostra Cruise today... major kudos to Rhino who rode up to help me out and ended up doing all the electrical work! I can't wait till my next long trip...

Thanks Rhino!  :thumbs:
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
Re: Rostra Cruise
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:52 PM »
i am thinking about electric crusie but niot sure if it is worth the money...

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »
If you spend a lot of time in the saddle or just droning along on the highway, the Rostra unit is well worth the 200 bucks, I love mine.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:11:28 PM »
checked things out on there website, could you post pics please.  how hard was the install, and how much of the factory wiring did you have to get into?

thanks ;)

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:04:46 AM »
checked things out on there website, could you post pics please.  how hard was the install, and how much of the factory wiring did you have to get into?

thanks ;)

Here is an excellent and very thorough write up, complete with pics...  :D

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/Rostra%20install.htm
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:46:58 AM »
Here is an excellent and very thorough write up, complete with pics...  :D

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/Rostra%20install.htm

I installed mine last week.  Used the VERY same write up.  Brian makes it VERY easy.  I did it in a weekend, but I had distractions.  I think it could be done in a day quite easily if you put your mind to it!  Really, it's not bad at all.  If I can do it, ANYONE can do it!  Get the kit from Murph WITH the relay, AND the mounting bracket.  It's worth the time and effort!

You will be SO happy you did it!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
We started about noon and had it working and tested without the bike buttoned up by about 6. This was my second install but different due to 2010 versus 2009 and the unit had to be installed in a completely different location. So 6 to 8 hours seems to be the time it takes to completely install. Also learned something new this time. Any slack in the mechanical connection to the throttle will result in some delay when pressing the "Set" button to actually feeling the CC kick in.

The reward of home made enchiladas with green chile made it all worth it! (not to mention fantastic riding to and from Mal's place)

Offline gadallah

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:44 AM »
Rhino,

Could you please elaborate on the differences of the install between the 2009 and 2010 bikes? Where did you mount the unit? I am looking at the McCruise unit but the install is very complex and requires tapping into the vacuum ports and a canister, similar to the old style Audiovox unit. The McCruise unit is $1,037.00. The Rostra seems to be a bargain.  Sam

Offline jayke

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:58:37 AM »
If you think the McCruise installation is complex then you don't want to try the Rostra on your own.  It's even more complicated. 

The McCruise is pretty much plug and play.  Accessing the vacuum ports is really easy. You just have to pull a few vacuum caps off the throttle bodies. They come right off.

Either way, you need to be somewhat mechanically inclined to install the cruise control.  If you are not confident in your abilities then don't do it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
Rhino,

Could you please elaborate on the differences of the install between the 2009 and 2010 bikes? Where did you mount the unit? I am looking at the McCruise unit but the install is very complex and requires tapping into the vacuum ports and a canister, similar to the old style Audiovox unit. The McCruise unit is $1,037.00. The Rostra seems to be a bargain.  Sam

Mal mounted the Rostra on his 2009 under the fairing on the lower left. Similar location to what Brian documented in his excellent right up found on Murphs site. It is not the exact same because Mal has MC Enterprise crash bars and had to mount the Rostra in front of them. There is no room under the left faring on the 2010 without cutting up the heat shields. So I mounted the Rostra under the top right faring on my 2010 and there was plenty of cable to route across the top front of the tank and down to the throttle. That is the biggest difference between the two. How you mount the bracket to hold the end of the actuator cable has to be a bit different due to different coolant tanks but the wiring is exactly the same.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
I've been eyeing the McCruise but I sure like the idea of an electronic cruise control vs. a vacuum cruise.  And for the price, the Rostra looks like the way to go.

Anybody in the Northern California area wanna help a brotha install it?  I'd pay!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
There is no room under the left faring on the 2010 without cutting up the heat shields. So I mounted the Rostra under the top right faring on my 2010 and there was plenty of cable to route across the top front of the tank and down to the throttle. .... How you mount the bracket to hold the end of the actuator cable has to be a bit different due to different coolant tanks but the wiring is exactly the same.
Rhino, Mal, do either of you have any install pictures that you could share with us? Please?

It's somewhat disappointing that I will not be able to use the instructions from Murphs on my 2010.
Under the top right fairing..
... is this where some have mounted their Stebel Nautilus horns...where it appears a second glove box could have been installed..or is it lower and farther back?
Thanks for any extra help you can (and already have) provide(d).

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
Rhino, do you have any install pictures that you could share with us? Please?

Here is a pic showing the Rostra unit under the top right faring and up against the heat shield, mounted transverse with the wiring and cable coming out the left side and running under the front part of the tank cover. I didn't use the mounting bracket but placed it on top of the right intake tube and secured it with large tie wraps to the heat shield.

This is my bracket holding the actuator cable but most that saw this didn't like that it was 90 degrees from the direction of force, but it has been working for me. On the 2009/8 there is a bolt holding a bracket securing the large grey wire bundle. Mal attached the CC cable bracket to this bolt and bent a jog in it to go under the wire bundle. As you can see on the 10 there is no bolt and I didn't want to drill that frame brace.

It's somewhat disappointing that I will not be able to use the instructions from Murphs on my 2010.

Brian's write up is still VERY useful on the 2010. It details the wiring and switch settings and how to install the rear brake light relay.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
Cool, Rhino thank you very much! I'm very glad that I noticed your post. I have a Rostra from Murph's sitting in it's box in the garage, I sure would have been ticked to
self discover that I didn't really have step by step instructions at hand like I thought I did. Now at least I'll have the right mind-set when I get around to the install.
Thanks again, and feel free to remember anything else that might be useful. Heck, I'll even take the recipe for the green chile enchiladas if it's offered.  ;D

It just seems that it would be easier to use the control buttons near the left grip (while the right hand maintains the throttle), but I noticed that most use the location near the right grip. How did you do it?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »
Cool, Rhino thank you very much! I'm very glad that I noticed your post. I have a Rostra from Murph's sitting in it's box in the garage, I sure would have been ticked to
self discover that I didn't really have step by step instructions at hand like I thought I did. Now at least I'll have the right mind-set when I get around to the install.
Thanks again, and feel free to remember anything else that might be useful. Heck, I'll even take the recipe for the green chile enchiladas if it's offered.  ;D

It just seems that it would be easier to use the control buttons near the left grip (while the right hand maintains the throttle), but I noticed that most use the location near the right grip. How did you do it?

You will have to get the green chilie recipe from Mal! I bought the bracket from Murph for the control switch designed to go on the top of the right handle bar. But since the 2010 has heated grips and a shield for the wire, this bracket did not work for me and Mal wound up using it. I made my own bracket from aluminum that is positioned for the left thumb and attached with heavy duty double sided tape to the bottom of the left control. I like this position because as you said I maintain the speed with the right hand while using the set on the left. My only recomendation would be to recess it more than I did since there is some interference with the horn button. I will eventually do that but getting that heavy duty tape off is difficult.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »

I placed my control pad at the top of the right control grip, mostly because it would have interfered with my CB on the left... it is kinda awkward to use, but it's not difficult to do...

I had a chance to work the cruise this week, and it's working perfectly...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »
It was really difficult to find this picture, but this is BMW's factory cruise button setup - the top button with the shrouded lever.  You flip the big button to the side with your thumb to activate, and the lever that is now free to move you can push forward to accelerate or rearward to coast.  Just slide the big button back over the lever to disengage.  VERY easy to use entirely by feel.

THAT would be cool to adapt somehow to a C14....