Author Topic: It finally happened to me  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Mettler1

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 364
  • Country: us
Re: It finally happened to me
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 10:23:07 pm »
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline timsatx

  • Arena
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Country: 00
Re: It finally happened to me
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 06:56:45 am »
Steve mentioned that to me also. If it weren't for the weather I had planned on putting my carbs in this weekend. Then come to find out that Kawasaki had changed the part number for one of the replacement springs to another existing part number. The problem is that the other part number is for a spring that is for a 6.5mm OD hose. The hose it is supposed to go on is 9mm OD. The part numbers for the hoses were also changed but that change is only to a longer hose

Offline timsatx

  • Arena
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Country: 00
Re: It finally happened to me
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 12:28:34 pm »
I finally got the carbs in, built a auxiliary tank to see if it would run. Fired it up and it ran. the goal now is to finish getting everything back together next weekend. I have to get the rest of the rust out of the tank and change the oil. Also have to see about checking the sync on the carbs.

Offline timsatx

  • Arena
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Country: 00
Re: It finally happened to me
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 10:02:41 pm »
Feeling good. I finally got my bike back together and took it out for a short drive on Sunday to verify all was working. I did have a little coolant leak so I tightened it down, wait for the engine to cool and refill it. The second time there were no leaks.

So I have rebuilt carbs and synced them, oil and filter change, coolant drain and fill, cleaned and oiled my air filter. I also cleaned my bike under all the plastic. I wasn't really sure how I wanted to tackle it so I did some reading. I ended up picking up a bottle of LA's Totally Awesome degreaser. Sprayed it all over, let it dwell for a minute then took a brush to it as it needed agitation after sitting like that for a long time. It's much better now.

I also topped off my gas tank and drove it to work on Monday. One of the things I still want to do is change my clutch oil. Maybe even my brake fluid. Eventually I will replace my brake lines with braided steel lines. The front is a split system with one line going to a splitter and into two lines. I want to change them to a straight two lines, one to each caliper.

I do still have the issue of my water temp. gauge not working. I thought the new sensor would work but no go. On Saturday I will test the gauge to see if it is busted.

Offline turbojoe78

  • Arena
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 248
  • Country: us
Re: It finally happened to me
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 06:03:55 am »

I do still have the issue of my water temp. gauge not working. I thought the new sensor would work but no go. On Saturday I will test the gauge to see if it is busted.

Also check the connection at the thermostat housing, they have been known to get loose and be a problem.
1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 ZG1000 (1052) Concours / 2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645


Offline timsatx

  • Arena
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Country: 00
Re: It finally happened to me
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 10:07:08 pm »
I know the connection there is good as I just replaced the sensor and made the connection making sure it was fully connected.

Offline timsatx

  • Arena
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Country: 00
Re: It finally happened to me
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 12:31:47 pm »
I checked the meter and it was good. I didn't feel like taking the new sensor out to test it. The connection was good.