Author Topic: 227.6 miles  (Read 10013 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: 227.6 miles
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »
That is an interesting idea.  But not if it has to be red...

I'm thinking a semi "stealth" install possibly with a pump to transfer the fuel.

Of course the whole lot would need to be bolted down properly so as to avoid wobble
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
Way back when, when I was going to install an aux. tank, I was going to try and slip it in under the luggage rack and where the tail light and license plate goes. Basically an add-on vessel made to fit the bike and carry the tail light, license plate after doing my best to 'de- uglify' it sufficiently. I think three gallons would sneak in there pretty easily but 5 gal. could be done as well. It would take at least one fuel pump to make it work (transfer the fuel from the aux. tank to the main tank) but I was planning on installing two so I could fill the aux. tank from the main tank without getting off the bike and fooling around with a second tank, plus that eliminates any outside fill caps, vents or anything else. I ran a line into and through the fuel tank that terminates just above the splash plate to serve as a vent for an aux. tank.

I got as far as the rough design, the plumbing in the tank, and the valving but never procured the material or did any of the fabrication.

That flat plastic box tank is a LOT less work and will still save one's bacon out in the sticks though and probably the better idea.

Brian

I'm thinking a semi "stealth" install possibly with a pump to transfer the fuel.

Of course the whole lot would need to be bolted down properly so as to avoid wobble
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roy826

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
I'm not to concerned about fuel theft. I just like having an extra gallon on hand it's easy to use, easy to tote and I think I might have $60 in the whole thing. Bought it so long ago to be honest that might even be a high guess.
2012 Concours 14

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »
I have a choice of two auxiliary fuel tanks.  Comes from doing slightly crazy mileage, like in multi-day rallies.  The "scavenger hunt" competitive kind, not the "drunk weekend in the park" type.

Anyway ... installed a bulkhead fitting on the tank, next to the fuel pump.  Several feet of rubber hose from there to a mechanical valve usually stored under the seat.  Well, not *ordinary* rubber hose, but the braided steel outer shell business.  Leftover kit from the LSR bike.

Simple setup.  Hose clamps, more rubber hose mounts to the tank.  One is a "beer keg" shaped AL 3.5 gallon rig mounted to a repurposed bit of hightech plastic to give it a flat mounting surface.  The whole rig goes on the pillion with two pair of decent quality straps, black rubber sheet covering the seat.  The rubber stuff for workshop floors.  Protects and cushions and all that.  Tank also has a vent right at the filler cap, more rubber hose connects to a vented catch can.  Another valve on the tank itself means the tank can be pulled without leaks even if full. 

Second setup is   Lower valve is closed when the tank is off the bike, always on if the tank is installed.  Tank valve controls gravity feed into the main tank.  I ride 120-150 miles, then reach back and open the valve and the 3.5 gallons trickles down, filling the main tank.  Fills rather slowly, takes 10-15 minutes for the full transfer. 

Everything was chosen for simple, reliable, low tech operation.  Works great.

The other tank is 5.0 gallon plastic square that replaces the top box.  I can run solo with top box and 9.5 gallons ... or two-up with 11.0 gallons and luggage strapped to the aux tank.  OR solo, both tanks, and 14.5 gallons.  Trying to figure out WHY I would need 600 miles nonstop range to reserve.

After 300 or so I usually need a bathroom.  Yes, I have drained the 9.5 gallon setup from full. 

saxman

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »

After 300 or so I usually need a bathroom.  Yes, I have drained the 9.5 gallon setup from full. 

You have a 9.5 gallon bladder? Impressive!!!
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »
Hollow wooden leg.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »
The IBA has a rule in place limiting the max. number of miles between stops (fuel or otherwise) to 350 miles. The way around the bladder limitation is a Texas catheter, and they are used by IBA riders though I do not know how many of them do use them. The IBA also limits total fuel carried to 11.5 gallons but that is sufficient that they found people traveling too far between stops, making it impossible for them to duplicate the route.

Brian

<snip>

saxman
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »
Yeah, well our gallons are not as big as your gallons. So it is pretty common for Americans to hold upwards of 10 gallons in our bladders.....

:rotflmao:

Brian

You have a 9.5 gallon bladder? Impressive!!!

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »
Yeah, I know the IBA rules.  Hence the 11.0 gallon setup.  Some of those IBA rules are
"rules for the sake of having more rules".  They take themselves a little too seriously sometimes.

BTDT, got the T-shirt.  Not all events are the same rules as IBA...and not every ride is for an event.
Out here in the wild wild west, having extra gas means you can stop when you want to,
instead of every 100-120 miles.  With "only" 6 gallons, that is as far as I can go on back roads (and sometimes even ON the slab) before I start to wonder about where the next fuel stop will be.

Bladder:  It isn't the distance, it's the time.  And sometimes 300 miles is kinds short.
I can go 250+ miles every time.  Without the catheter.  Yeah, I know a few guys that use them. 
Never saw the benefit.  I mean, ya gotta stop for fuel, water, food, etc.  Learn to go a tankful
without stopping and do it all at once. 

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »
SVonhof, my apologies if I missed it.
But, how many gallons of gas did you pump into the bike after you ran out?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2017, 06:55:55 PM »
SVonhof, my apologies if I missed it.
But, how many gallons of gas did you pump into the bike after you ran out?

Ride safe, Ted

I forgot to look. :-(  I really wish I had grabbed the receipt.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
I just put 5.85 gallons in mine the other day.  37 miles into the reserve.  Yeah.  I know.

It hold 6.0 gallons for sure.  4.8 to Low Fuel warning.
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!