Author Topic: Head Replaced Under Warranty  (Read 1712 times)

Offline J.R.

Head Replaced Under Warranty
« on: October 25, 2017, 03:50:50 AM »
Just got my bike back after being in the shop for over a month.

I had been getting a slight smell of coolant occasionally while riding around. There always seemed to be other vehicles around, so I just attributed the smell to that. I purchased a Rostra crusie control to install in preparation for a road trip headed down to Key West next month. Got all the plastic off the bike I needed to, and saw the telltale greenish/white residue of a coolant leak down the block on the left hand side of the engine. Traced it back up to the lefthand most exhaust stud, where even more residue was. Put everything back together, and headed up to the dealer. Dropped it off and showed them what I could with the plastic on the bike. Got a call a couple days later saying there was a casting defect in the head causing the coolant to leak from the area around the exhaust stud, and Kawasaki would be covering the replacement of a head. Just over 10k miles on the bike. Crazy what had to be removed to get everything replaced. Rides great now though! Now to get the cruise installed...
Jim
2016 C14 "Kristi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Head Replaced Under Warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:07:34 AM »
 :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:37:17 AM »
WOW!  Be thankful for that warranty!  The cylinder head itself is $2200!  I'll bet the total tab on this was at least $5000.

Offline roy826

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 07:42:08 AM »
They should have just gave you a new motorcycle. Long term I can see the potential for other things to pop up due to this extensive repair so early on.

Good luck on down the road.
2012 Concours 14

Offline J.R.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »
They should have just gave you a new motorcycle. Long term I can see the potential for other things to pop up due to this extensive repair so early on.

Good luck on down the road.

I have the extended warranty, so I’m honestly not that concerned about it. I’ve bought several motorcycles from this dealer, so I have a good relationship with them. I’m confident they’d go to bat for me if there was something that came up down the road.
Jim
2016 C14 "Kristi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
I am glad it was taken care of, and in a fast and competent manner.  First post I have ever seen of a head needing replacement.  The C14 is pretty rock-solid, but no manufacturing line/parts supplier is absolutely perfect.  Throwing such a long, end-to-end warranty (3 years) on a motorcycle already shows their confidence and offering an affordable option to 9 years even more so.  If they weren't making good stuff, they would lose their shirt in no time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc