Author Topic: AST Peg Lower Mod  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

AST Peg Lower Mod
« on: October 29, 2017, 02:27:15 PM »
I installed the AST front peg lowers the other day but i added a bit of my own mod. I put 3/4" stand-offs behind the AST brackets so the pegs would be moved out a bit. For long-legged, wide-hipped folks like me, it was hard to curl my legs back in to the stock setup. Much more comfortable! Rode 200 miles on them yesterday with no issues. Also, as an added bonus, the brake side now clears the exhaust, so no mods needed there whatsoever. Just a little coaxing of the brake line  (slight bend) to get the stock bracket to line up. Whole thing took 30 minutes, and that included a mock up before installing with lock tight. All that was needed we're 4) 50mm long bolts to accommodate the extra length from the standoffs. Luckily, i had them from previous bike mods! 😄
Some pics below to illustrate...
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline eng943

Re: AST Peg Lower Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »
Nice - good to hear the comfort was greatly improved. This is a must do mod for me. My knees can't tolerate the bend with the stock ergos for very long. Not sure if it's a sign of getting older, or just being used to a bike with more comfortable ergos.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »
I'm sure the lowering kit will help as is, but the standoffs made the install so easy, and that much more comfortable for me. A "plus" on both counts! And at $80, the lowering brackets from AST were a great buy, and the quality and service was excellent.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...

Offline eng943

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »
Anything challenging or noteworthy in reference to adjusting the brake and shifter? 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »
Oddly enough, the brake pedal needed no adjustment. On the shifter, i left it attached when i moved the bracket, and just loosened the 2) 10mm lock nuts and rotated the center till it was where i wanted it. It really was easy. Probably the biggest advantage was not having to cut or grind anything on the brake side. With the standoffs, everything cleared.

Offline eng943

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
Thank you for the tip. Sounds like without the standoffs the exhaust shield may need to go, or otherwise modified to get it to fit. 

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:05:06 AM »
Thank you for the tip. Sounds like without the standoffs the exhaust shield may need to go, or otherwise modified to get it to fit.

According to the AST install video and instructions, there would need to be a hole cut in the exhaust shield to accommodate the brake hardware, and the back edge of the hardware would need to be ground off.  With the standoffs, neither of these need to be done. Just bolt on and go.  ;D

Offline jmschink

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »
I just did this mod today and when I stand on the pegs the left mount flexes WAY more than I'm comfortable with. Since the right side mount bolts are in line vertically the weight doesn't flex that mount but the left side bolts are in line more horizontally and have no ability to hold weight.
I am 6'5" 250lb
I am not saying this won't work for everyone but with 3/4" spacers this did not work for me.
I looked at using shorter spacers but the problem remained until it was basically worthless.

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
Interesting. Not sure what is different from mine to yours, but i weigh 210 and mine doesn't fix at all? I can't imagine 40 like lbs makes that much difference? Are your standoffs narrow perhaps ?
You may want to take a look at how everything went together before you throw in the towel? I can't understand what they difference can be to make your setup behave so differently? :-\

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »
I just did this mod today and when I stand on the pegs the left mount flexes WAY more than I'm comfortable with. Since the right side mount bolts are in line vertically the weight doesn't flex that mount but the left side bolts are in line more horizontally and have no ability to hold weight.
I am 6'5" 250lb
I am not saying this won't work for everyone but with 3/4" spacers this did not work for me.
I looked at using shorter spacers but the problem remained until it was basically worthless.

This may sound like a dumb question, but did you put the spacers between the bike and the brackets, or between the brackets and the oem footpeg mounts?  I installed the spacers on the bike, then the lowering brackets, then the footpeg mounts. solid as a rock.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
I'm thinking (probably wrong  ??? ) that the larger the outer diameter of the stand off spacers are (assuming that inner diameter/bolt clearance is minimal), that the less flex will be encountered. Yes/no? Bolt quality/material may also have significant effect.