Author Topic: Lowering the bike/seat  (Read 31039 times)

Offline maxtog

• 2011 Silver
Re: Lowering the bike/seat
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2017, 01:02:42 pm »
 :goodpost:

+1
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline MAXPWR

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2017, 08:47:51 pm »
I finished installing the T-REX drop links and shorter side stand. Both were nicely made.
I then loosened fork clamps and dropped the front (fork tubes sticking thru the mounts 1").
All went pretty smooth and I found it easy to access the lower fork bolts by removing the panel (4 plastic rivets) just above the horn.
Bottom line for me was to measure the total, overall drop I'll ever do to this bike. The stock seat height, using a 4' level, and the bike stood straight up was 32 and 1/16". After I installed the Sargent Low seat, links, and dropped the front, the new seat height measurement was right on 30". I took it for a ride and I could tell the handling is a little better...which is already awesome ('specially compared to my VMAX lol) I'm sure this will help me from accidentally dropping bike the way I did again.
Thanks maxtog for your original post regarding lowering the C14, as well other contributors of this forum.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2017, 09:24:41 pm »
Don't forget to set your spring sag.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAXPWR

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2017, 09:44:13 pm »
oops! I overlooked that from your previous post connie-rider, thank you for the reminder. What is that and how is it done? I never touched the suspension adjustments.

Offline maxtog

• 2011 Silver
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:51 pm »
I then loosened fork clamps and dropped the front (fork tubes sticking thru the mounts 1").

Having the fork tubes rise 1" does not lower the front by 1".  Remember, the forks are at an angle, so it will require more than 1" to lower 1"; basic geometry, ya know.

Bottom line for me was to measure the total, overall drop I'll ever do to this bike.

Some of us were hoping you would do proper measurements on the rear axle before/after so we would know exactly how much the T-REX links actually drop the rear (to help future purchasers)....  Shame on you?  You need to know that measurement, anyway, so you can properly lower the front by the same amount...

Thanks maxtog for your original post regarding lowering the C14

That is what we are here for, to share info and help each other!  Well, at least I hope MOST of us are here for that :)
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2017, 05:49:46 pm »
oops! I overlooked that from your previous post connie-rider, thank you for the reminder. What is that and how is it done? I never touched the suspension adjustments.

If you never did it, the change is not important.
But, if you never set your suspension, it needs to be done.
I don't have the info handy. Will try to find it.
Or hopefully someone will post a shortcut to the discussion here.

Until then; Go to You Tube and research "Setting Suspension".

Ride safe, Ted

Here is a lot I found on this Forum.
Happy reading.

Help with suspension settings http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4480.0
C14 suspension setup http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2027.0
Setting up your suspension http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7802.0
Suspension for the completely stupid  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14869.0
Suspension advice http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13297.0
Setting suspension http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13139.0

I went to you Tube when I did mine and watched several video's. Pretty simple to do after that.
I am NOT saying I got it perfect. But it sure feels better.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:12:13 am by connie_rider »

Offline MAXPWR

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2017, 06:36:58 am »
Thanks Ted, I watched a few good vids on YouTube and will do this soon.

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2017, 06:54:10 pm »
Great reads folks.
You all have convinced me to purchase T-Rex lowering links & adjustable kickstand, and Murphs' bar risers.
I watched a few YouTube videos, and the links and lowering the forks looks pretty straightforward.

Wish me luck! :)

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:10 pm »
Great reads folks.
You all have convinced me to purchase T-Rex lowering links & adjustable kickstand, and Murphs' bar risers.
I watched a few YouTube videos, and the links and lowering the forks looks pretty straightforward.

Wish me luck! :)

Update...
I installed the T-Rex lowering linkage & adjustable kickstand, and Murphs' bar risers.
Overall, the job went smooth.
The T-Rex links lowered the rear about 1-1/8" or so. And I slid the fork tubes up 1-1/4".
I went from balls of my feet, to flat footed.
Next step is to set up the suspension.