Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 713176 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2820 on: October 25, 2017, 04:05:02 AM »
My son just bought a brand new Nissan Rogue with remote start. He can use his Amazon Alexa to start the car and adjust the climate controls. Sweet!

Alexa, start the Rogue and set the temp to 73.   

A nice feature but since he lives in Tennessee he really doesn't need it. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2821 on: October 25, 2017, 04:23:24 AM »
So he doesn't mind that every sound, every conversation, every fart is possibly being recorded? Is the tv watching the watchers?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2822 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:02 AM »
So he doesn't mind that every sound, every conversation, every fart is possibly being recorded? Is the tv watching the watchers?

I have three Alexa devices in my house, two upstairs and one down. Love em! If someone wants to listen in I suppose they can. I'm not paranoid and I'm not doing anything illegal (speeding and rolling stops don't count  ;) ) so I don't have anything to hide.

I asked Alexa to tell me a Trump joke. It said that it didn't know any Trump jokes but offered to tell me a political joke instead...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2823 on: October 25, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
... offered to tell me a political joke instead...

Aaaaaaannnndddd??

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2824 on: October 26, 2017, 04:44:29 PM »
 :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2825 on: October 31, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »
In watching this latest wave of social bending (as in FaceTwitting "me too, I was sexually abused by XXXX"), it is starting to strike me that it might be faster and easier to just name the one person who has NOT been guilty of sexually molesting (him, her, them, they, it, those, whatever). Sort of like 'To Tell the Truth', will the real 'decent person' please stand up.

Sheesh!

And I kinda' liked 'House of Cards', and that is toast. And I really liked 'The Usual Suspects' but it would seem Mr. Spacey is toast also so no more of that for us.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2826 on: November 01, 2017, 06:02:16 AM »
And I kinda' liked 'House of Cards', and that is toast. And I really liked 'The Usual Suspects' but it would seem Mr. Spacey is toast also so no more of that for us.

What? They are not doing another season? And what is up with Mr. Spacey?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2827 on: November 01, 2017, 06:47:13 AM »
What? They are not doing another season? And what is up with Mr. SpaceySissy?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2828 on: November 01, 2017, 01:00:50 PM »
Well, let's see: Mr. Spacey has been accused of sexually molesting a 14 (I believe) year old boy. So Mr. Spacey took the approach of apologizing, saying all the 'right things' and so forth, and came out as homosexual at the same time. Interestingly enough, while 7/8 of the planet had already turned against him for the sexual misconduct, the remaining 1/8 was outraged because of his using the timing of the molestation accusation to 'come out'. So the 1/8 is even MORE cranky with Mr. Spacey because it seems they believe it will have the effect of having 'being gay' being associated with sexual misconduct. The immediate results were that Netflix announced the cancellation of 'House of Cards'. But the next day (or so) Netflix announced the cancellation of production of the sixth season of House of Cards immediately, which I take as meaning there will probably not even be a sixth season (which is the next season). So, apparently in the current round of 'who stepped in it further' or 'who stepped in more of it for longer', Mr. Spacey seems to be winning because not only has the entertainment community apparently tossed him out like last week's chicken soup, it has reacted within a matter of hours to stop his career and all associated with it in its tracks. By comparison, it took weeks for Mr. Weinstein (sp?) to fall so far down the proverbial flight of stairs.

So it appears we have seen the last of Mr. Spacey, probably in any medium, stage, TV or film. Unless, of course, the FaceTwit crowd decides at some point that forgiveness is the current thing they want to run up the flag pole and wave for all it is worth, at which point the nastiest, most obnoxious people known on the planet will be elevated to new levels of fame and fortune; I predict we will have a special election in the US and somehow end up with Charles Manson as President..... maybe even Dictator.

Now it may seem that I am making fun of people who misbehave or misconduct themselves, and worse, am making light of their victims. That is most certainly not the case. If people act as scumbags, they SHOULD be hung out to dry by the public, and charges brought against them where possible, practical and, of course, warranted. It certainly would seem that there are some scumbags in some positions of authority in the entertainment industry, and all that is happening to them and more is justified if the charges are true, and I have no reason to doubt that they are true.

What I am making fun of is how we, as a society, act like a wild- eyed mob with pitchforks and torches looking for the next thing to get all worked up over and go on a rampage to..... well, rampage. It seems that we have the angry mob already and are just waiting for someone, anyone, to point a finger in a direction for them to.... well, rampage. I believe this is a result of rapid, 'free- for' all' social media (hence 'FaceTwit', which is not what I call it most of the time, I change the last vowel to make it more distasteful, exactly as I think it is- distasteful) combined with one of the very worst aspects of humanity, the urge to act as a pack and embellish our own worst behavior by exercising pack mentality. Fully grown adults acting worse than 8 year olds in a school playground but instead of nasty limericks and rhymes, we now have media, the ability to project the pack onto everyone, everywhere.

So as I said, I have no problem with people getting what they deserve and what they have earned, be it good or bad. But I do have a problem with procedure, law and social organization, as well as simple decent behavior being replaced with 'social vigilanteism', and the worst kind of vigilanteism at that. I think the way things progressed with Bill Cosby was far better, using a process in place, than what is currently being unleashed through FaceTwit.

Back to Kevin Spacey: it seems he is homosexual and has now 'come out' as such. It would seem to be not all that big a deal in today's world but as I said, the particular circumstances and timing of his coming out have raised a storm all in itself. But then again, it has long been suspected anyway and cannot really be that big of a surprise.

Brian

What? They are not doing another season? And what is up with Mr. Spacey?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2829 on: November 01, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »
Wow! See what I get to miss by not having cable TV any more? I just assumed he was gay just by some of the scenes in House of Cards. But hadn't heard about any of the molestation stuff. But I really did like the show. Season's 1 and 2 were the best and it went down hill from there. But still one of the shows I would binge watch each season. I would guess Robin Wright is pretty pissed right now. She just got to be president and now she's canceled!  :rotflmao:

Well, let's see: Mr. Spacey has been accused of sexually molesting a 14 (I believe) year old boy. So Mr. Spacey took the approach of apologizing, saying all the 'right things' and so forth, and came out as homosexual at the same time. Interestingly enough, while 7/8 of the planet had already turned against him for the sexual misconduct, the remaining 1/8 was outraged because of his using the timing of the molestation accusation to 'come out'. So the 1/8 is even MORE cranky with Mr. Spacey because it seems they believe it will have the effect of having 'being gay' being associated with sexual misconduct. The immediate results were that Netflix announced the cancellation of 'House of Cards'. But the next day (or so) Netflix announced the cancellation of production of the sixth season of House of Cards immediately, which I take as meaning there will probably not even be a sixth season (which is the next season). So, apparently in the current round of 'who stepped in it further' or 'who stepped in more of it for longer', Mr. Spacey seems to be winning because not only has the entertainment community apparently tossed him out like last week's chicken soup, it has reacted within a matter of hours to stop his career and all associated with it in its tracks. By comparison, it took weeks for Mr. Weinstein (sp?) to fall so far down the proverbial flight of stairs.

So it appears we have seen the last of Mr. Spacey, probably in any medium, stage, TV or film. Unless, of course, the FaceTwit crowd decides at some point that forgiveness is the current thing they want to run up the flag pole and wave for all it is worth, at which point the nastiest, most obnoxious people known on the planet will be elevated to new levels of fame and fortune; I predict we will have a special election in the US and somehow end up with Charles Manson as President..... maybe even Dictator.

Now it may seem that I am making fun of people who misbehave or misconduct themselves, and worse, am making light of their victims. That is most certainly not the case. If people act as scumbags, they SHOULD be hung out to dry by the public, and charges brought against them where possible, practical and, of course, warranted. It certainly would seem that there are some scumbags in some positions of authority in the entertainment industry, and all that is happening to them and more is justified if the charges are true, and I have no reason to doubt that they are true.

What I am making fun of is how we, as a society, act like a wild- eyed mob with pitchforks and torches looking for the next thing to get all worked up over and go on a rampage to..... well, rampage. It seems that we have the angry mob already and are just waiting for someone, anyone, to point a finger in a direction for them to.... well, rampage. I believe this is a result of rapid, 'free- for' all' social media (hence 'FaceTwit', which is not what I call it most of the time, I change the last vowel to make it more distasteful, exactly as I think it is- distasteful) combined with one of the very worst aspects of humanity, the urge to act as a pack and embellish our own worst behavior by exercising pack mentality. Fully grown adults acting worse than 8 year olds in a school playground but instead of nasty limericks and rhymes, we now have media, the ability to project the pack onto everyone, everywhere.

So as I said, I have no problem with people getting what they deserve and what they have earned, be it good or bad. But I do have a problem with procedure, law and social organization, as well as simple decent behavior being replaced with 'social vigilanteism', and the worst kind of vigilanteism at that. I think the way things progressed with Bill Cosby was far better, using a process in place, than what is currently being unleashed through FaceTwit.

Back to Kevin Spacey: it seems he is homosexual and has now 'come out' as such. It would seem to be not all that big a deal in today's world but as I said, the particular circumstances and timing of his coming out have raised a storm all in itself. But then again, it has long been suspected anyway and cannot really be that big of a surprise.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2830 on: November 01, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
Yep, and a whole lot of other people working on the production are also out of work. Some primary actors working for large sums of money, many more non- stars working for wages. Either way, a bad turn for all of them.

And agreed, Seasons 1&2 really were outstanding IMO. It was not so much that the series fell down after Season 2 as the main characters reached their goal and so the main plot and course of the entire show had ended. The series went on but not with the same press or momentum as before I think.

In a better world this would not be a problem as we would just turn to something else to watch but as we have discussed, really good TV and even film is rare so losing one that is still quite entertaining, well- written and has high production values is not easy to replace.

On the bright side, while I suspect Kevin Spacey is now the proverbial toast, we will always have 'The Usual Suspects' and 'Se7en' and 'American Beauty' along with a handful of other films with Mr. Spacey in them. And no matter how bad Mr. Spacey is or is perceived to be, The Usual Suspects will always be a fantastically good flick IMO; it takes about 3 viewings before I even caught on to what question I was trying to answer while watching it but it was more than worth it. One of the few films that actually gets better with repeated viewings IMO.

And of course this is all yesterday's news: Kevin Spacey has already been displaced by some other guy who has now been accused of sexual misconduct in several instances many years ago. The world is busy piling its attention on that guy, at leas the last time I looked (my info. is several hours old and so may well not be the current 'hot item').

Brian

Wow! See what I get to miss by not having cable TV any more? I just assumed he was gay just by some of the scenes in House of Cards. But hadn't heard about any of the molestation stuff. But I really did like the show. Season's 1 and 2 were the best and it went down hill from there. But still one of the shows I would binge watch each season. I would guess Robin Wright is pretty pissed right now. She just got to be president and now she's canceled!  :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2831 on: November 07, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
Finally, an arrest for an unusual reason. I find this greatly refreshing because we are living in a world chock- full of unusual and yet this one actually stands out. They met on the plane so maybe this is just the new way of saying 'Howdy Dodie to ya' ' instead of just shaking hands?

"As one passenger wrote in a witness statement: "I felt bad for the guy beside them, but I guess he was sleeping."

What he slept through was an incident that triggered an FBI investigation: A  "highly intoxicated" woman was performing oral sex on a man in Row 26, triggering complaints from nearby passengers in other rows who caught on to what was going on. The woman in particular was less than cooperative, a police report said, noting she  "yelled and screamed" and was "continuously disruptive" after being hauled off to an airport jail cell.

These are some of the details involving the Oct. 29 incident, which was documented in a nine-page police report obtained by the Detroit Free Press under the Freedom of Information Act.  The  Wayne Metro Airport Police Department, which responded to the incident, said both the man and women received citations from the FBI for lewd and lascivious behavior and for disorderly conduct.

<snip>

According to the police report, the 48-year-old California woman and 28-year-old man met on the Delta Air Lines flight between Los Angeles and Detroit. The woman's seat was not in his row, but she switched her seat so that she could be next to him. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/11/07/airplane-oral-sex-case/839021001/

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2832 on: November 07, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »
I would only expect that kind of service in first class.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2833 on: November 07, 2017, 08:17:18 PM »
 :o
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #2834 on: November 08, 2017, 06:24:10 AM »
 ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2835 on: November 08, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »
Happy Ending Airlines

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2836 on: November 08, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2837 on: November 08, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
Well, it did not sound like she was too happy what with all the yelling, kicking, handcuffs, arrest and so forth. Of course he may have been happy. Hey, maybe he was exactly as happy as she was unhappy, thereby keeping the entropy of the universe from growing? Sure, that makes sense.

Brian

Happy Ending Airlines

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2838 on: November 08, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »
Balance in the Universe.  It's a beautiful thing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2839 on: November 09, 2017, 04:19:01 AM »
Well, it did not sound like she was too happy what with all the yelling, kicking, handcuffs, arrest and so forth. Of course he may have been happy. Hey, maybe he was exactly as happy as she was unhappy, thereby keeping the entropy of the universe from growing? Sure, that makes sense.

Brian

I heard that she didn't mind the handcuffs as much and one might expect...    ;)