Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 688075 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2780 on: September 01, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
And it does, at least here.  Slow on the right, fast/pass on the left.  But even though in the UK the road travel directions are backwards ( ;) ), you hold the same rules for which lane is passing?

are you talking escalators or out on the road?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2781 on: September 01, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »
are you talking escalators or out on the road?

You were talking about both- so was I.  Problem was I misread what you said :)  I thought you meant Britain had pass on the same side on escalators as on the road (like we have here) but you said they "flouted" the standards, meaning it isn't the same.  How confusing for people having to behave differently than when driving!  So which convention is used there for walking in halls or sidewalks (which side to travel and what about passing)?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2782 on: September 01, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »
You were talking about both- so was I.  Problem was I misread what you said :)  I thought you meant Britain had pass on the same side on escalators as on the road (like we have here) but you said they "flouted" the standards, meaning it isn't the same.  How confusing for people having to behave differently than when driving!  So which convention is used there for walking in halls or sidewalks (which side to travel and what about passing)?

It always used to be keep left but that seems to be changing slowly.

Incidentally on the water you also pass with the oncoming vessel to your right
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2783 on: September 01, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »

Yeah, that is the same here- water is pretty much universally backwards ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2784 on: September 02, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »
I do not think that is correct Mike: international seafaring rules have ships passing port- to- port, always. Not sure how it works on, say, the Thames but in any waters likely to have ships from different countries mingling, all passing is done on 'the right' unless very specifically communicated between and agreed upon by the two ships passing, beforehand.

Even the Andrea Doria (Italian) and Stockholm (Swedish) were attempting to do that off the coast of Massachusetts, USA before things went awry.

Speaking of which: Initially, the Captain of the Andrea Doria was held most accountable for this incident but further study has led to the Commander of the Stockhold (not the Captain at the time of the collision, the third- officer had the conn.) as the prime human reason for the accident. He miss- read the radar and thought they would be passing starboard- to- starboard and made a small adjustment in the Stockholm's course to widen the distance at which they would pass; this was seen by the Capt. on the A.D. as 'crossing his bow' (correctly- they would have passed port- to- port if nothing was changed) and so altered his course also in response. The Stockholm saw this action as crossing 'her' bow and altered course more abruptly, as did the A.D. until finally the Stockholm struck the Andrea Doria close to mid-ships and at a high speed. This is where some really odd quirks come into play:

The Stockholm's bow was reinforced for ice strikes in Scandinavian waters and this 'helped' her cut nearly to the keel of the Andrea Doria. The Stockholm was at full- reverse power at the moment of the collision and would have been dragged backwards away from the impact site but her anchor lockers were destroyed and so the anchor chains and hawsers fell free and snagged on the bottom (they were in relatively shallow waters), holding her near the Andrea Doria, and after finding out she was not likely to founder, she launched all her lifeboats to assist with rescue of passengers of the Andrea Doria, which was very clearly going to sink. As with anything of such extremes, there were instances of good, bad, and just plain odd. One of the bad things was that the first lifeboats to leave the Andrea Doria contained only three of her crew; these men were later tried, found guilty and sentenced to significant prison sentences. A true oddity of the accident was a girl named Jane Morgan, on the deck of the Stockholm, who could not find her parents nor the cabin she was staying in. After some time passed, it was realized she was NOT a passenger aboard the Stockholm at all but the Andrea Doria; she had been asleep in her cabin (it was the middle of the night when the ships collided) during the collision, and thrown through the wreckage onto the deck of the Stockholm. She had relatively minor injuries, survived the accident though both her parents who were traveling with her were killed in the accident.

As it was 1956, and the ships were close to the coast of the US, rescue efforts were extremely effective, with some injured passengers being airlifted by helicopter to hospitals in the US. Overall, there was little loss of life with 46 dead, a small number considering the number of passengers being carried and the fact that the Andrea Doria capsized and sunk within hours of the collision. The Stockholm survived and in fact, was repaired and put back into service.

The Andrea Doria is 'dive- able', kinda', sorta', although it is a treacherous dive in cold water, and deep enough to require mixed gasses to reach her (I believe her keel is 240 feet down). She continues to collect deaths to this day: since her sinking, 16 divers have lost their lives diving on the wreck.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2785 on: September 02, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
you're correct, that is not correct.

Maybe this is why I don't drive a boat lol

port to port it is

I do not think that is correct Mike: international seafaring rules have ships passing port- to- port, always. Not sure how it works on, say, the Thames but in any waters likely to have ships from different countries mingling, all passing is done on 'the right' unless very specifically communicated between and agreed upon by the two ships passing, beforehand.

--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2786 on: September 02, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
Yeah, the 'rules of the road' become far more important when there is actually no road....  :-)

Little nautical 'memory helpers':

Buoys around harbors / ports: Red Right Returning: means you should be passing red channel marker buoys on your vessel's right when going into harbor.

The three 'shorts' all go together: Port, Left, Red.  The three 'longs' (Easy Boys! This here is nautical speak and there is no innuendo or impolite references of any kind allowed!) are the other way, Starboard, Right, Green.

Trivia:
1) Ear rings for males started with sailors at the time of International travel, say the 15th century. A sailor would wear a gold ring in one ear as payment in the hope that if his body was found by a stranger, it would be properly buried in return for the ring.
2) A long tradition holds that sailors were better off not knowing how to swim because there was really zero chance of rescue or survival, and swimming merely postponed the inevitable death should the ship go down (Boys! Still nautical speak!).
3) British sailors have a long- standing wariness of Fridays, and will try not to begin or end a voyage on that day for example. As the story goes.... The British Gov't wanted to do away with this wasteful superstition and actually built a ship for that very purpose: her keel was laid on a Friday, she was floated on a Friday, Christened on a Friday, named the H.M.S. Friday and set sail on her maiden voyage on a Friday. Neither the ship nor any of her crew were ever seen again..... The truth is that there was never a British ship named Friday and the entire story is fabricated.
4) US military ships are 'dry' while most other navies are 'wet', starting with the British for example. Drinking alcohol is forbidden on US naval ships, while British naval ships for centuries included a ration or 'tot' of rum or grog (rum and water- they did not have cola yet) as part of the daily ration.
5) That 'thing' or plug banged into the end of a ship's cannon, both ancient as well as modern (current) is called a 'tamponade'. Which would seem to indicate what sailors are thinking about on those long sea voyages....

Brian

you're correct, that is not correct.

Maybe this is why I don't drive a boat lol

port to port it is
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2787 on: September 02, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »
I Always remember Port as being Red because thats what colour it is when you pour it out (plus 12 years in the RAF)  :)

Red & green together, boat/aircraft is coming towards you
Red & White , boat.aircraft is traveling from right to left
Green & White , boat/aircraft travelling from left to right
White, boat /aircraft travelling away from you

The three 'shorts' all go together: Port, Left, Red.  The three 'longs' (Easy Boys! This here is nautical speak and there is no innuendo or impolite references of any kind allowed!) are the other way, Starboard, Right, Green.

--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2788 on: September 02, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »
You said RAF... :thumbs: :salute:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2789 on: September 04, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »
And I did not even see it coming.....

We need to go to Home Lowes (one or the other, usually Home Depot), lately we always need to go to Home Lowes. Anyway, as today is a holiday, such as there are holidays anymore, I looked at their site to check on the hours- often their holiday hours are the same as Sunday hours. So went to the site and typed 'store hours' in the search line and hit enter..... Got this for a response:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-8-in-x-12-in-Plastic-Business-Hours-Sign-839888/100115199?keyword=store+hours+today

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And BTW: they are open 'till 9:00 PM tonight. The commercialization of America continues as we recognize fewer and fewer holidays at all, and even minimize the major ones. Not saying this is good nor bad, it merely is.

Brian

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2790 on: September 04, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
don't know about over there but over here even on Christmas Day you can always find some sort of store open, usually run by people of alternate ethnicity & religious views :)

And I did not even see it coming.....

We need to go to Home Lowes (one or the other, usually Home Depot), lately we always need to go to Home Lowes. Anyway, as today is a holiday, such as there are holidays anymore, I looked at their site to check on the hours- often their holiday hours are the same as Sunday hours. So went to the site and typed 'store hours' in the search line and hit enter..... Got this for a response:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-8-in-x-12-in-Plastic-Business-Hours-Sign-839888/100115199?keyword=store+hours+today

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And BTW: they are open 'till 9:00 PM tonight. The commercialization of America continues as we recognize fewer and fewer holidays at all, and even minimize the major ones. Not saying this is good nor bad, it merely is.

Brian
--

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2792 on: September 05, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »
Stare at this for 30-45 seconds
.... and then look at something nothing* else nearby.

*a poor attempt to stay on subject

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2793 on: September 05, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »

ACK!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2794 on: September 06, 2017, 03:42:02 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2795 on: September 07, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »

I've seen something similar but only when drunk..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2796 on: September 07, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
Just moved to central Arkansas from the dark and brooding Mississippi Delta, where even the bullfrogs have an attitude.

Rather surprised to see homeowner's insurance a good chunk more expensive than in MS. But then again, the New Madrid Fault up in the NE corner of the state - should that fault bust loose, as it did back in 1811 and caused all kinds of mayhem, even then - spawns those things pretty regularly, though they're smallish.

Ditto for up in the Ozarks. Back in June, a large reservoir filled up with water and that caused some spawning (uh....might there be an "Easy Boys!" in there somewhere?). Fracking has been blamed too.

In talking with some locals, there doesn't appear to be much of a risk for earthquakes here, though it is quite hilly.

Blissfully hilly, which means curves to ride. A helluva lot more interesting than the flat-as-a-pancake Delta.

And yes, I have the Connie with me.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2797 on: September 07, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
Got a notification that I have been upgraded to include a new service from the USPS called 'Informed Delivery'; they scan all mail (meaning envelopes and similar), then send a digital image of what is or will be delivered to your mailbox to your e-mail address. Pretty slick IMO.

Also have been getting deliveries on Sunday from USPS lately that do not seem to have originated from Fed. Ex.. ?? Not sure what is up with that. Only packages though, not regular postal mail. Or, to put it so it requires an Easy Boys!, they are still not inserting anything into my box on Sundays (Easy Boys!).

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2798 on: September 07, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
It would only be slick if you could tell them to don't bother delivering it....

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2799 on: September 07, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
It would only be slick if you could tell them to don't bother delivering it....

Agree.
Notification (email or otherwise) of what they are going to deliver anyways has no use for me. Sort of like the suspense of what might be in the mailbox and the less that comes thru my "inbox" the better.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.