Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 319832 times)

Offline mikeyw64

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2790 on: September 04, 2017, 01:25:52 pm »
don't know about over there but over here even on Christmas Day you can always find some sort of store open, usually run by people of alternate ethnicity & religious views :)

And I did not even see it coming.....

We need to go to Home Lowes (one or the other, usually Home Depot), lately we always need to go to Home Lowes. Anyway, as today is a holiday, such as there are holidays anymore, I looked at their site to check on the hours- often their holiday hours are the same as Sunday hours. So went to the site and typed 'store hours' in the search line and hit enter..... Got this for a response:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-8-in-x-12-in-Plastic-Business-Hours-Sign-839888/100115199?keyword=store+hours+today

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And BTW: they are open 'till 9:00 PM tonight. The commercialization of America continues as we recognize fewer and fewer holidays at all, and even minimize the major ones. Not saying this is good nor bad, it merely is.

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2792 on: September 05, 2017, 12:55:27 pm »
Stare at this for 30-45 seconds
.... and then look at something nothing* else nearby.

*a poor attempt to stay on subject

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2793 on: September 05, 2017, 10:36:58 pm »

ACK!
Throttle lock = cruise control. C14 motor = de-tuned 1,352 cc ZX14 motor. "Exhaust" = muffler. A bike can be a sport tourer even if it's chain driven. Very few have 20,000 unique worthwhile things to state. So when your post count exceeds about 1,000, consider abstaining. If you can't resist responding, maybe just link to what you posted previously.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2794 on: September 06, 2017, 03:42:02 am »

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2795 on: September 07, 2017, 11:31:51 am »

I've seen something similar but only when drunk..
  "LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2796 on: September 07, 2017, 12:33:23 pm »
Just moved to central Arkansas from the dark and brooding Mississippi Delta, where even the bullfrogs have an attitude.

Rather surprised to see homeowner's insurance a good chunk more expensive than in MS. But then again, the New Madrid Fault up in the NE corner of the state - should that fault bust loose, as it did back in 1811 and caused all kinds of mayhem, even then - spawns those things pretty regularly, though they're smallish.

Ditto for up in the Ozarks. Back in June, a large reservoir filled up with water and that caused some spawning (uh....might there be an "Easy Boys!" in there somewhere?). Fracking has been blamed too.

In talking with some locals, there doesn't appear to be much of a risk for earthquakes here, though it is quite hilly.

Blissfully hilly, which means curves to ride. A helluva lot more interesting than the flat-as-a-pancake Delta.

And yes, I have the Connie with me.
2012 Connie Arabian Candy Red.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2797 on: September 07, 2017, 04:13:59 pm »
Got a notification that I have been upgraded to include a new service from the USPS called 'Informed Delivery'; they scan all mail (meaning envelopes and similar), then send a digital image of what is or will be delivered to your mailbox to your e-mail address. Pretty slick IMO.

Also have been getting deliveries on Sunday from USPS lately that do not seem to have originated from Fed. Ex.. ?? Not sure what is up with that. Only packages though, not regular postal mail. Or, to put it so it requires an Easy Boys!, they are still not inserting anything into my box on Sundays (Easy Boys!).

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2798 on: September 07, 2017, 06:04:17 pm »
It would only be slick if you could tell them to don't bother delivering it....
  "LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2799 on: September 07, 2017, 07:47:00 pm »
It would only be slick if you could tell them to don't bother delivering it....

Agree.
Notification (email or otherwise) of what they are going to deliver anyways has no use for me. Sort of like the suspense of what might be in the mailbox and the less that comes thru my "inbox" the better.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2800 on: September 12, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »
Yesterday's date always reminds me of the time I took my kids to see the World Trade Centers when they still were kids. They were about 3 hours south / west of where we live but we did not go there from home, we stopped there on the way home from Florida.

We were on a family vacation, having driven to FL, and hit the usual tourist traps as well as all the grandparents, who were living there at the time. My wife's parents live near Tampa and while we were in that city, my father- in- law mentioned that there was a new 'high- rise' building and pointed it out to us. I made what I thought was a mildly amusing reference, calling it a 'skyscraper', which of course both of my kids picked up on and though I was serious (the building was nine stories tall, perhaps tall by FL standards but real skyscrapers have urinals deeper than that). Opps. So I told them if it worked out, we would stop at a place on the way home and I would show them a skyscraper.....

We were headed home, closing in on New York City in the wee early hours of a Sat. morning, and it looked like the timing would work out right for us to be in Battery Park around sunrise. So we woke the kids up and told them we were going to NYC to see a skyscraper. They were around 6 and 9 or so at the time and had never been to NYC or any other large (tall) city. We crossed under the Hudson using one of the tunnels and they were IMMENSELY impressed with that; I guess they had never driven under a river before either :-)  Anyway, after diddling through the bottom of Manhattan for a bit, I pulled up as close as I could get to one of the World Trade Centers (I do not remember which one) and had both kids look out the rear window to look up at the top of the building. Of course they could not see the top of the building as it just sort of fades away into the distance being that close, and it was not full daylight yet anyway. So we all got out of the car and again, I had them look to see the top of the building.... and they still could not do so. Finally, we walked a ways away from the buildings and tried it again and still we could not see the tops of either tower, at which point I said THAT is a SKYSCRAPER! The pups were impressed and both have told me as adults they still remember that visit. We all piled back into the car and they got to see both The Empire State and The Chrysler buildings, as well as being able to see the entire NYC skyline as the sun came up.

Of course we lost those buildings 16 years ago to the day yesterday but no matter what, my kids got to see them and it makes me glad that they still remember the buildings, and the experience of being there. It did not seem like a big deal at that time of course but I am certainly glad we made the detour now.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2801 on: September 14, 2017, 02:04:03 pm »
Under the heading of 'but this does not make sense': modern submarines travel faster underwater than when traveling on the surface. No tricks or gimmicks, all else being equal, equal amount of thrust (Easy Boys! Easy Seamen!), same weight (displacement) but less surface area in the water so the logical conclusion is less drag, and that should result in greater speed, not less. But not only does it not work that way, it works very much the opposite way.

This was the major difference in submarine design for their first 50- odd years or so and modern designs; early submarines were really surface vessels that could go underwater for brief periods of time and move very inefficiently. Given any kind of choice, all subs through WWII and into the 1950's would always engage in warfare this way, contrary to common belief, and their underwater abilities were used simply to 1) hide and 2) run away when possible. In fact they were not even true submarines at all but rather submersibles.

It is all about the physics; a modern, cigar- shaped submarine hull is smooth, rounded and has flowing shapes, also called 'faired' in nautical or aircraft terms (that transitions to 'fairing' when used on motorcycles by the way). There are no sharp edges or projections to force the water into making a shock wave, rather the water just sort of moves away as the sub passes and then gently and slowly, closes back in to where it was before the sub got there, without actually accelerating any water in any direction. That does not happen on the surface because the part of the sub's hull that is above the water line is NOT smooth and does NOT make an even transition but rather forces the water out of its way; after passing, the water crashes back into the void left by the subs' passing.

There is a much easier way to prove this though without any mathematics, complex models, testing, modeling or anything else, and can be shown via a quick and simple set of examples: When a modern sub travels on the surface, it makes a bow wake, a stern wake and roils the water it travels through, exactly the same way ALL other surface vessels do. But completely submerged, there are no wakes and there is no roiled water left behind. So it takes the same energy to move the boat forward in either condition but when surfaced, it takes extra power to make those wakes and disturb (which really means accelerate) the water. So submerged, there is little to no water disturbance or acceleration to 'pay for'.

And the exact same thing can be done with craft that move in the air also, and it is not a new or even an 'off' idea, it was the original way to move objects a long way, efficiently, in the early days of air travel: a dirigible or airship. Look at the shape of a dirigible and a cigar- shaped submarine, they are virtually identical and for the very same reasons, a dirigible gently moves the air it is traveling through away and then allows it to again gentle return to where the airship had been without any sharp or sudden acceleration. Airplanes, on the other hand, accelerate a great deal of air downward at very high speed as they pass and that is the best case scenario, in reality, most airplanes, old and the most modern, roils up tremendous amounts of air in passing through the atmosphere and again, it robs power from the engine(s) to make that happen. So believe it or not, a Zeppelin from the 1930's will move the same mass the same distance and use FAR less fuel than any airplane or helicopter in existence, modern or not.

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2802 on: September 15, 2017, 08:30:22 am »
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Brent Johnson 
Why MrPepsi? I collect and consume Pepsi!
2009 C-14 "Razzi"
2013 SFO to PDX Loop Ride Trip Report

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2803 on: September 15, 2017, 09:02:09 am »
On March 22, 1958 a Lockheed Loadstar belonging to Mike Todd crashed in the mountains in New Mexico on land belonging to my wife's father and now belonging to my wife. All 4 aboard including Mike Todd were killed. Mike Todd was a Hollywood producer best known for the movie "Around the World in 80 days". He was also husband to Elizabeth Taylor at the time. It was rumored that he was carrying a massive diamond ring belonging to Liz. No such ring was ever found despite the fact that for years afterword my father in law would chase off treasure hunters that would sneak on to the property searching for it. Parts of the airplane were removed for investigation but most of the wreckage was buried in place and is still there. I found one of the exhaust stacks sticking out of the ground a few years ago.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2804 on: September 15, 2017, 10:09:13 am »
That is a really interesting story.

Not to be morbid, and of course I assume all human remains have been removed, etc. but too bad the plane itself is buried as it would probably be quite interesting to see.

Brian

On March 22, 1958 a Lockheed Loadstar belonging to Mike Todd crashed in the mountains in New Mexico on land belonging to my wife's father and now belonging to my wife. All 4 aboard including Mike Todd were killed. Mike Todd was a Hollywood producer best known for the movie "Around the World in 80 days". He was also husband to Elizabeth Taylor at the time. It was rumored that he was carrying a massive diamond ring belonging to Liz. No such ring was ever found despite the fact that for years afterword my father in law would chase off treasure hunters that would sneak on to the property searching for it. Parts of the airplane were removed for investigation but most of the wreckage was buried in place and is still there. I found one of the exhaust stacks sticking out of the ground a few years ago.