Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671757 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2860 on: November 18, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »
Do you talk to your rock, Jim?  ???

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2861 on: November 18, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
But do they like you back Jim? Do they? Do they really or are they just saying they do?

Brian

I like rocks.  Low maintenance.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2862 on: November 18, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »
Of course they talk.  You know I hear voices all the time.  I'm assuming they are telling me the truth, otherwise I'd be paranoid.  I'm pretty sure I'm not paranoid...I'll ask them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2863 on: November 18, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »
Hey, paranoia is just good thinkin' when everyone is looking at you.... and I guess the 'everyone' could be 'all the rocks'.

A little more gin should take care of all of that, and more.

Brian

Of course they talk.  You know I hear voices all the time.  I'm assuming they are telling me the truth, otherwise I'd be paranoid.  I'm pretty sure I'm not paranoid...I'll ask them.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2864 on: November 18, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
Nah, no gin tonight.  It's beer night.  Konig Ludwig for me and the voices, although I do hate to share.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2865 on: November 18, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
Look at the bright side; if "someone" was to vomit, at least there are voices to blame, right?

I think tonight I may have a wee dram of The Dimple Pinch. And if I leave the glass out, in the morning it will smell exactly like maple syrup. Very nice stuff IMO.

Not sure yet what the kitten prefers yet but frankly, after watching some of the places she cleans with her tongue, I would think rancid milk would be fine. Shiver me timbers!

Which reminds me, I have an excellent 'tongue' story for this very thread! I will post it later.... (Easy Boys! in advance, get a hold of yourselves (NOT THAT WAY) and be nice or no tongue story for youse guize).

Brian

Nah, no gin tonight.  It's beer night.  Konig Ludwig for me and the voices, although I do hate to share.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2866 on: November 18, 2017, 08:55:06 PM »
My Schnauzer preferred good Scotch and high priced wine.  Couldn't drink around him at all.  He'd drool all over the carpet.  Poor guy.  I miss our conversations.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2867 on: November 18, 2017, 09:37:51 PM »
Yeah, I miss my last canine as well.

Also found out I was out of Dimple Pinch! So have to turn to the 'comfort food' of Scotches, Balvenie double - wood. Sampling a wee dram of that instead- terrific stuff.

Brian

My Schnauzer preferred good Scotch and high priced wine.  Couldn't drink around him at all.  He'd drool all over the carpet.  Poor guy.  I miss our conversations.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2868 on: November 19, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »

Really beautiful cat, neutral gray but with a very symmetrical slightly silver 'mask' from her eyes down to her jawline. Kinda' different.

Is there any chance that this "kitten" (looks kinda large to me for kitten) is any relation to those others?....like maybe a fourth kitten that
only came out at night? She is a good lookin' cat kitten. Congrats at being adopted as her care taker.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2869 on: November 19, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
I do not know but according to my neighbor, who have been eye- balling that litter and momma cat (in the holz haus), no. There were only four kittens in that litter, according to her, and she has taken one, one died and the other two and mom- cat are living in her shed.

Hearsay has it that I have another neighbor who has either one or two cats and they continue to produce kittens. ?? This kitten I have (Phoebe BTW) may have come from that place. But I just do not know. ??

She is still headed to the pound BTW: we do not want a pet and are not in a good place, regarding the condition of the house, to have a pet at this time. But until that happens, we will of course take care of her and last night went out and bought a kitty- box, litter, food, a harness, a cat- carrier, and cat toys. Just to make her comfortable until.... the pound. And she is going to the vet tomorrow morning for the usual- check up, check- over, initial inoculations, tests and the vet's best guess as to her age. Also to see if she is carrying an I.D. RFID 'chip' (usually called being 'chipped') but I seriously doubt that she is. Anyway, will report back on whatever we find out as well as giving a short harness and cage and car ride report (betcha' that does not go over well). We just want to make sure she is healthy..... before going to the pound, of course.

My last dog found me when he was about 6 or 7 weeks old, on a rainy night in Dec., and the temp. was going down to single digits later. So I grabbed him and took him home because he would not have survived that cold outside (people had been feeding him and we knew he was homeless). And then off to the pound. Well, he is STILL going to the pound but he stayed with us for 15 years and I now have his remains in an urn but that does NOT mean he is NOT going to the pound! So this kitten also only has a little time, well, some time, before she also goes to the pound!

Very nice kitten though: fearless, happy, very friendly, loves my wife and me and acts a lot like a dog. I know Max does not agree but cats are cats and dogs are dogs but there is plenty of room in the species for different behavior. This cat is most certainly a cat but her personality leans toward the dog end of the cat spectrum.

Brian

Is there any chance that this "kitten" (looks kinda large to me for kitten) is any relation to those others?....like maybe a fourth kitten that
only came out at night? She is a good lookin' cat kitten. Congrats at being adopted as her care taker.  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2870 on: November 19, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »
I know Max does not agree but cats are cats and dogs are dogs but there is plenty of room in the species for different behavior. This cat is most certainly a cat but her personality leans toward the dog end of the cat spectrum.

I am not sure I said that I disagree that cats and dogs are different.... just that it is not uncommon for cats to be very friendly, interactive, follow, and come when called.  Cats just don't hang on their human's every word.... and that, by me, is great!  It makes them, in a way, more like us- social and yet also independent.  I believe most cats NOT that way tend to had not been properly socialized and trained when young.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2871 on: November 19, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
Yeah, I think we are both talking about the same thing here but the words are getting in the way.

As a general rule: dogs are more eger to please their human counterparts. Dogs are pack animals, and so fit nicely in with a family unit or even a single human, as long as that human establishes the various positions w/in the pack (family). Because dogs actually become part of the pack (family), they will take an active role  w/in that pack such as guard duties, alerting the rest of the pack to unusual activities, and as an added benefit, they take on the young of the pack (family) as 'wards' to be protected.

And yes, I agree that cats are more like humans (not a pack animal) than dogs. Yet humans and dogs have a symbiotic interaction and like that goes back 20,000 years. It is not by accident that that link was established, nor have modern times erased or even impacted it in any way. It is the very fact that dogs are pack animals and so meld into what we humans have as 'families' that makes the association work so very well. For whatever reason, I often feel like I have made a connection with a complete stranger of a dog in a matter of seconds and we are on the same plane, interacting. Again, I believe this is because humans and dogs have co- evolved to have a symbiotic association that not only survives into modern times, but actually thrives.

Personally, I prefer larger mammals: people, dogs, cats, whatever. Even w/in the dog breed, I prefer large, self- assured dogs. So cats, being smaller, are not as attractive to me, and being somewhat secretive tend to get into / sleep in/ sometimes hang-out in places inaccessible to humans such as under the couch, behind furniture, desks, etc., etc. A 100 lb. dog is ALWAYS present and accounted for and neither can 'hide' nor do they have the interest in hiding. I prefer that behavior.

Now, all of that said, please understand I absolutely do not [not] like cats, just that overall, with no specific examples, I would prefer a big Lab., Golden Retreiver (who does NOT love a big, shaggy, lovable and nearly perfect Golden?), a GSD, Doberman, etc. to the usual house cat. I think I would LOVE a larger cat, at least 50 and preferably 100 lbs. (think King Cheetah) but that is not overly practical nor easily attainable.

Over the years, I have been around some magnificent cats: a girlfriend of long ago had a pair of Siamese and the female (Toyon) was great: loved people, would climb up onto a shoulder, sing and lick my neck, would insist on attention and push anything / everything out of the way to get it. For whatever reason, she picked me as a 'buddy' and we spent a LOT of time together, due entirely to her choice though I would quickly point out that I thought she too was great, and always looked for her as soon as I arrived at 'her' house. A beautiful animal in every way.

All of that said, I do believe Phoebe is going to be an 'in your face' kind of cat. She has not yet for one moment concealed herself behind anything. She runs up to both of us and 'says hello' and interacts. She is not wary, retiring or timid in the least and yet she is not aggressive either. It is very early and yet, I think she is going to be an unusually human- interactive cat. And a wonderful pet.

So I think what you are taking as my criticisms of cats in general is just me stating my personal preferences, not the fact that I do not like cats. And I rather like this cat, and again while we are still quite new to each other and getting acquainted, I believe this cat will prove to be a wonderful member of the family, bearing in mind of course that she is going to the pound..... soon. Oh yeah, off to the pound. But in the meantime, she is helping my wife knit and I must say, doing a far better job of it than my wife usually does. True, the kitten is not really getting much knitting done but it sure is fun to watch her 'help'.  ;D

And BTW: we are in the process of getting her used to the cat box. She will leave wet spots in the box but nothing else. So far, she has left harder, firmer "presents" in the bathtub, as well as a potted plant..... twice. Too cute for words! But now we have the bathtub closed off  and the plants removed from her access and so still hoping to get her to use the box. And so begins the long interactive learning curve where the kitten tries to train us while we try to train her. My experience is that it is a mixed bag with no clear winner :-).

Brian

I am not sure I said that I disagree that cats and dogs are different.... just that it is not uncommon for cats to be very friendly, interactive, follow, and come when called.  Cats just don't hang on their human's every word.... and that, by me, is great!  It makes them, in a way, more like us- social and yet also independent.  I believe most cats NOT that way tend to had not been properly socialized and trained when young.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2872 on: November 19, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »
I like dogs, too.  But for me, dogs are just too subservient.  Their affection is far less earned (like cats) than just given.... So I feel like it doesn't mean as much and is often less rewarding.  Like you, just a personal preference.  But there are times I would love to merge the best qualities of cats and dogs into one animal-  a "cog" or a "dat."  No doubt, genetic engineering will make that possible one day, which scares the s*** out of me.  :)

I have always dreamed of what it would be like to have a "large" cat of some type.  But even tame, that would be very dangerous- by size/weight, felines are the strongest, most successful and powerful and dangerous animal, ever.  But wouldn't it be just too cool?

Domestic dogs have a much larger variety of size and shape than domestic cats.  It seems felis catus domestica (the domestic house cat) is genetically resistant to such breeding attempts.   And cross-breeding with other species of larger cats (bobcats, ocelots, desert cat, lynx, etc) is very difficult and has not been terribly successful (the wild tends to take over or the resulting hybrids are left with too many genetic faults or are not viable).  Still, they are trying...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felid_hybrid

The one that holds the most promise is the Savannah cat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_cat  Amazingly, TICA has recently accepted it as an official breed.  Still a work in progress, it is pretty unstable and not genetically diverse enough.  Trying to analyze the breeding data gives me a headache.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2873 on: November 20, 2017, 04:12:27 AM »
Hmmm, you disregard dogs, who give their companionship freely but instead grovel at the feet of CAT who deep in their heart would just as soon kill you. That's messed up.   :-\

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2874 on: November 20, 2017, 05:12:55 AM »
I like dogs, too.  But for me, dogs are just too subservient.  Their affection is far less earned (like cats) than just given.... So I feel like it doesn't mean as much and is often less rewarding.  Like you, just a personal preference.  But there are times I would love to merge the best qualities of cats and dogs into one animal-  a "cog" or a "dat."  No doubt, genetic engineering will make that possible one day, which scares the s*** out of me.  :)

I have always dreamed of what it would be like to have a "large" cat of some type.  But even tame, that would be very dangerous- by size/weight, felines are the strongest, most successful and powerful and dangerous animal, ever.  But wouldn't it be just too cool?

Domestic dogs have a much larger variety of size and shape than domestic cats.  It seems felis catus domestica (the domestic house cat) is genetically resistant to such breeding attempts.   And cross-breeding with other species of larger cats (bobcats, ocelots, desert cat, lynx, etc) is very difficult and has not been terribly successful (the wild tends to take over or the resulting hybrids are left with too many genetic faults or are not viable).  Still, they are trying...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felid_hybrid

The one that holds the most promise is the Savannah cat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_cat  Amazingly, TICA has recently accepted it as an official breed.  Still a work in progress, it is pretty unstable and not genetically diverse enough.  Trying to analyze the breeding data gives me a headache.

How many dogs have you had as pets Max?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2875 on: November 20, 2017, 05:49:52 AM »
How many dogs have you had as pets Max?

I am more allergic to dogs than cats (which is unusual).  Zero.  But growing up and now, my best friends have dogs (and cats), so I am very familiar with them.   I much prefer large dogs over small ones, and QUIET ones over loud ones.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2876 on: November 20, 2017, 10:30:26 AM »
I really do not want to turn this into a 'pet' thread but just to kind of close the topic: Phoebe has been to the Vet., pronounced healthy and well. Got first set of inoculations, flea treatments (oral and on her coat), made the Vet. think she was a terror while I thought she was an angle (seriously- she behaved very well I thought but of course did not care for his various pokings and proddings, topped off by grabbing her head, twisting it back until her jaw dropped, pulling the jaw down with his middle finger and tossing a pill into her open throat- I too would have resisted that one). He estimates she is 5 mos. old, weighs 5.7 lb. Definitely a female (I knew that though- I would not have a male cat as they 'mark', so for a cat to get this far into my house I had to know it was a female) and not pregnant.

Overall, she acted better than I thought she would: she actually half- closed her eyes when the car was moving. Met a dog in the waiting room and she was not pleased with that; now I know she can make all the rest of the cat noises, spitting, growling, that low- pitched howl, and all the fur on her tail triples in size :-)  Not the best news about the dog though 'cause that is a definite possibility at my house.... I guess we will have to burn that bridge when we come to it.

And Phoebe LOVES coffee.  :o :rotflmao:

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2877 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:27 PM »
I really do not want to turn this into a 'pet' thread but

Hey, it is a thread about "nothing" :)

I would not have a male cat as they 'mark'

That is a common misconception when stated without lots of qualifications....

Both male AND female cats will mark (spray) as a natural part of procreation and territory maintenance (dogs do, too, but it is not as concentrated).  Neutered cats (female and male), especially when neutered young (which is much preferred), generally never spray.  Those few that do (after < 6 months neutering) are typically under severe stress, and/or were not socialized properly.

I have had cats all my life (both male and female, both solo and multiple) and none have EVER sprayed, not even once.  And thank GOD, because it is one of the worst smells, ever (it is essentially concentrated urine).   Un-neutered males will typically spray more frequently than un-neutered females, but the smell is the same.

all the fur on her tail triples in size :-)  Not the best news about the dog though 'cause that is a definite possibility at my house.... I guess we will have to burn that bridge when we come to it.

It can be a huge challenge to socialize cats and dogs together.  Generally, it is important that the cat is exposed to friendly dogs when very young (< 6 months is advised, < 4 months is much better).  If that does not occur, they might never get along.  Often the problem is same for dogs who have not been socialized to cats when young, but it is more of an issue for cats.  Major problems can also occur with bringing in a new cat to a household with an established cat.   I have had that issue more than once, and deal with it now; fortunately my issues now are fairly minor (the younger cat torments the older by wanting to "play" and the older cat takes it all seriously).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2878 on: November 26, 2017, 11:36:03 AM »
“In this field, almost everything is already discovered, and all that remains is to fill a few unimportant holes."
-Philipp von Jolly, advice given to Max Planck to avoid physics, when Planck was his student at the University of Munich, sometime in the 1870's or so.

Perhaps one of the most amazing quotes of all time. Fortunately for the rest of us and the world we live in, Max Planck did both get an education in physics and also moved on to fill in a few of those unimportant holes, including sharing Planck's constant and the the theory of quanta (resulting in quantum physics) with the rest of the world. Several others would soon join in an fill in more unimportant holes but their true contribution was to show us just how many more 'holes' existed. It has been more than 100 years since that statement was made and it is starting to look like we may never discover all the 'holes', never mind fill them in.

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2879 on: November 26, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
Are the holes round or flat?