Author Topic: Scotch...  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Scotch...
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
You boys go ahead & enjoy your scotch...... Did you know they use USED bourbon barrels to make scotch?  That right there tells me that scotch is second fiddle to bourbon! ;D   Oh, & I'll take my bourbon on ice w/ nothing else!

I was gonna say that yesterday, so glad you said it and not me. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 01:31:03 PM »
Did you know they use USED bourbon barrels to make scotch?

Yes that's true.  In fact, it's a "law" that bourbon must use new oak barrels for bottling.  During the first few years of the time in the barrel, the bourbon draws out the natural sugars and other "contaminents" from the oak.  This makes the whiskey sweeter, too sweet in my opinion.  So the Scotch makers use these "purified" barrels to age their product and the result is something far superior which has none of the random crap likely to dissolve from the oak.  Scotch producers also use old Sherry barrels to impart a nice unique flavor to some of their products.    ;D

Offline booger

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
It is said Scotch is an aquired taste. Haven't aquired it. If I was desperate for a drink and Scotch was the only thing available I would become sober.

Agreed.  You could probably aquire a taste for drinking horse wizzz, but I'd perfer not to.

I'll stick with my Turkey 101

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 04:40:58 AM »
Yes that's true.  In fact, it's a "law" that bourbon must use new oak barrels for bottling.  During the first few years of the time in the barrel, the bourbon draws out the natural sugars and other "contaminents" from the oak.  This makes the whiskey sweeter, too sweet in my opinion.  So the Scotch makers use these "purified" barrels to age their product and the result is something far superior which has none of the random crap likely to dissolve from the oak.  Scotch producers also use old Sherry barrels to impart a nice unique flavor to some of their products.    ;D

There's a reason I don't drink bourbon.  Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SamSam

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »
JW Black or Chivas 18 yr old!  I like blends.
Sal Sammartino 
2006 connie, 2001 connie (lost in fire)
COG #6191; If you didn't have a good time it was your own fault!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
That is true in some cases now but not in the 'olden' days. Scotch whiskey (or whisky) has been around a lot longer than either American bourbon, America or even the new world colonies. Originally used sherry casks were used to age Scotch, and still are to this day although not exclusively as you point out.

As the story goes, the Scots people claim that St. Patrick actually taught them how to make whiskey, not the Irish, and they have been making it correctly ever since.  :D

Brian

You boys go ahead & enjoy your scotch...... Did you know they use USED bourbon barrels to make scotch?  That right there tells me that scotch is second fiddle to bourbon! ;D   Oh, & I'll take my bourbon on ice w/ nothing else!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
I still hate nasty ass scotch!!!! :stirpot:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
Single malts in general. Laphroaig in particular.

Their common 10-yr is an excellent example of a peaty, Islay malt. Give their Quarter Cask or 18-yr old (getting pricey, here) for an absolute sublime dram. Great stuff. The smallest splash of water to release the flavors and you'll be all set.

When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 03:40:13 AM »
I still hate nasty ass scotch!!!! :stirpot:

You're repeating yourself...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »

Would you like for me to continue? ;) I will say that I rather enjoy the comments on "how" to properly drink/enjoy a good high quality scotch, y'all are wayyyyyyy outta my league! I do enjoy scotch tape, butterscotch and scotchguard.........do any of these count?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »
No.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
 :rotflmao: right...

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
How about a Scotch Egg?
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 05:50:54 PM »
geez what's that smell?

Offline booger

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »

Deserves repeating ;)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 06:35:17 AM »
Scotch Eggs... yummy! 

Scotch Locks

I was told Apple Jacks here in Denver has Mac's 12 y/o on sale... might have to swing by for a bottle  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2011, 08:05:40 AM »
Scotch Bonnets
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2011, 08:10:58 AM »
How about a Scotch Egg?

Those are yummy, and good for the arteries. :thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »
Perfect timing for a Scotch Whiskey thread. (At least, I think it was one originally, IIRC).  I've never been a big drinker, and even less of a whiskey man, but I figured I should find out what I like.  I bought small bottles of a variety of choices and held a night of blind taste tests, assisted by my wife.  It was very educational, and I recommend it.  Some things I learned:
Scotch:  I sampled Chivas Regal 12 Y.O. Blended, and Highland Park single-malt.  I preferred the blended, however I don't think I would ever ask for a Scotch, neither were my cup of tea. 
Bourbon - I found my favorite to be Evan Williams, over several big name and more trendy brands.
Irish Whiskey.  Brand was Bushmills.   Harsh.  I found it a bit smoother than Everclear, but not as easy to drink as nearly ANY other fluid found around the house.  Liquid Plumber comes to mind.  Sorry Irishmen.
Tequila:  I only like the kind I can't afford.  The ordinary tequila you can buy for under $25 does nothing for me, taste-wise.
Among whiskeys, my overall favorite is Canadian.  Of those, Crown Royal. (Christmas hint, anyone???)
Vodka: It's vodka, not much to taste.  I found Potato Vodka was smoother than the much more common grain vodka. 
Overall choice for my palatte: Spiced Rum.  But I found that in blind testing, a cheap knock-off called Admiral Nelson beat out the more popular Captain Morgain.  (Out ranks him, anyway).  Wife agreed.

Scotch must indeed be an acquired taste.  But I don't see much of a purpose in deliberately trying to acquire a taste for something expensive, so I guess I won't be trying to hone by Scotch drinking skills.  That's good news for all you Scotch drinkers, I won't be running up the demand and price of your chosen vice.

There were some other beverages in the blind test, however toward the end of the evening, it became difficult for me to form clear opinions about the relative tastes, or even keep track of what I was tasting.  Maybe smaller samples and more time between them would have helped.  I don't even remember the last few tests, but I know I did them, because in the morning, I found the little bottles were all empty.  Come to think of it, I don't remember going to bed!
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!