Author Topic: Scotch...  (Read 9137 times)

Offline GeeBeav

Re: Scotch...
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
I don't even remember the last few tests, but I know I did them, because in the morning, I found the little bottles were all empty.  Come to think of it, I don't remember going to bed!

Wow - must've been a LOT of little bottles  ;D

+1 on the Crown Royal . . . or Forty Creek, another good Canadian.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 06:44:20 PM »
If you ever come across a Canadian Whiskey called Alberta Springs give it a try....also there has been a black labeled Crown Royal....both very good sipping whiskies.

My ex's father used to drink 5 Star Whiskey and diet seven up...an aquired taste.

Used to drink Lemon Hart neat on the rocks....but if 30 plus Port isn't available then the single malt comes out....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2017, 05:17:10 PM »
Re-booting an old thread:

I have two new favorites: The Dimple Pinch. A 12 or 15 year old blended Scotch, a very solid performer with a vanilla finish. Nice Scotch IMO.

The Balvenies: their claim to fame is aging in two casks, the typical charred oak cask but then the finish in used sherry, rum or other, used casks. It really takes the 'bite' out of the Scotch and makes a wonderful beverage IMO.

I have found the base-line 12 year old, single malt, "Double Wood" version to be 90 % as good as any other and while not a cheap Scotch, it is not so high in price a normal person cannot enjoy a bit now and then. I have also tried Caribbean Cask, a 14 yr. old single malt, finished in used rum casks, and also very good. Then I ran into a 21 (I think) Balvenie in Washington, DC, visiting my son. A wonderful Scotch but too expensive to be part of my rotation at home. And as I said, I find the base- line Double- Wood at $50 / bottle to be at least 90% as good as the far more expensive, older, scotches from Balvanie.

Those of you who prefer a peaty, smokey, and shape Scotch such as Glenlivet will probably NOT like any of the Balvanie versions; I find Glenlivet far too strong, even the 21 year old stuff. Balvenies are very much mellowed by the finish in the 'other', used cask and very, very different than the Glenlivet types of single malt.

And all of that said, a 12 or 15 year old Dimple Pinch blended Scotch is also a treat at my house. Again, a reasonably prices Scotch ($40 for a unique triangular bottle) I always try to have one around for those 'neat' times.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:03:53 AM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
My favorite topic wakes up again.  I too like the Balvenie double cask scotches. Very smooth and nice flavors.  For those of you wanting more peat try a Lagavulin.  I usually drink 12 yo Glenlivet or Glenmorangie in the 1.75 liter size.  Very economical for sipping on ice.