Author Topic: Connie 14 rod bearing noise (or why does my C14 rattle in the morning?)  (Read 27420 times)

Offline connie14boy

Re: Connie 14 rod bearing noise when first started in morning
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 10:14:46 pm »
I can honestly say it's the only thing that really pisses me off- mine does that rattle every time I start it- warm or cold, on the side or center stand, night or day. I get those stares from my riding buddies like WTF is that? Even the Harley guys snicker a little, and a BMW rider said "that sounds serious, you better look into that". I hate making excuses, so I guess I better get a manual one installed. Every bike I ever owned had it's quirks, and usually more than one. I just wish this one had a more "quiet" quirk.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 07:36:55 am »
Some make it, some don't.  Mine does for a few seconds.  Sometimes not at all.  Some say it does it more while on the side stand..  It's the cam chain tensioner.  It's not harmful.  Annoying to some but not to most.  You might change oil brands or you can go to a manual tensioner.  Up to you.
  "LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline Monsterpost

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:14 am »
Like I said mine did it only when I started it in the morning "cold start" there after never heard it again for the rest of the day.  It's not a good sound, makes me wonder why my 08 did it and 12 hasn't so far.  We shall see as the miles go on.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 07:50:58 am »
I can honestly say it's the only thing that really pisses me off- mine does that rattle every time I start it- warm or cold, on the side or center stand, night or day. I get those stares from my riding buddies like WTF is that? Even the Harley guys snicker a little, and a BMW rider said "that sounds serious, you better look into that". I hate making excuses, so I guess I better get a manual one installed. Every bike I ever owned had it's quirks, and usually more than one. I just wish this one had a more "quiet" quirk.

If anyone snickers at me due to the rattle for a few seconds after start up, I would ask them how it sounds from the rear as I'm pulling away.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 09:36:45 am »
It is not a con rod bearing and it is easy to fix considering how badly it appears to bother you: put in a manual CCT and never again have to listen to that rattle.

All documented here: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14243.msg174886#msg174886

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:16 am »
Yeah, what he said... ;)
  "LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline pistole

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 07:00:29 pm »
If anyone snickers at me due to the rattle for a few seconds after start up, I would ask them how it sounds from the rear as I'm pulling away.

agree !

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 08:53:19 am »
THIS THREAD DESERVES A BUMP  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 09:26:31 am »
THIS THREAD DESERVES A BUMP  ;D

Well ok then. My bike no longer makes the start up death rattle. I installed one of these:

http://ape-store.com/shopsite/page6.html

Easy peasy no more noise, life is good.  8)

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:33 am »
Side stand leans the bike to the left, tensioner is on the right…
Other factors to consider but this is pretty simple to understand. Never occurred to me before this thread.

Bimmer folk, mostly K-Bike Bimmer folk - are SOO jealous of the Connie. It's ok. The chain rattle just distracts them from their whiny fuel pumps, questionable ABS pumps, hardly serviceable and highly problematic rear shock, and the nagging wonder of when the tranny, splines or rear-end are gonna cause a wreck or leave them stranded! Sorry BMW - you were the only game in town. Thank you Kawasaki!!

My K75s always smoked at start up because oil weeped past the valve cover when on the side stand. Try explaining that to people for 115,000 miles - the bike is fine, really, just not meant to be parked(!)

Whether you think you can or can't you're right!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 09:13:03 am »
Side stand leans the bike to the left, tensioner is on the right…
Other factors to consider but this is pretty simple to understand. Never occurred to me before this thread.

Bimmer folk, mostly K-Bike Bimmer folk - are SOO jealous of the Connie. It's ok. The chain rattle just distracts them from their whiny fuel pumps, questionable ABS pumps, hardly serviceable and highly problematic rear shock, and the nagging wonder of when the tranny, splines or rear-end are gonna cause a wreck or leave them stranded! Sorry BMW - you were the only game in town. Thank you Kawasaki!!

My K75s always smoked at start up because oil weeped past the valve cover when on the side stand. Try explaining that to people for 115,000 miles - the bike is fine, really, just not meant to be parked(!)

What about the Yamaha FJR, Triumph Sprint, Honda 1300, Ducati Multi-Strata, etc etc etc etc etc
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 01:07:28 pm »
What about them?  Are they bikes?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 01:32:06 pm »
i was replying to beemer being the only game in town

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:52 pm »
Never!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:07 pm »
piston slap and bearing noise threads are a great merger candidate  ;D