Author Topic: Mounting Rostra, on 2012, Completed  (Read 6265 times)

Offline wendel

Mounting Rostra, on 2012, Completed
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
2012 C14. Murph sent a mounting bracket for the switch pad that does not look like the one in the instructions. It does not have the arm on the bracket that goes down to the mounting bolt shown. It is somewhat square with a counter sunk hole and a screw that goes into the counter sunk hole. Where is this supposed to mount? Anyone with a 2010 to 2012 can help?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:13:57 AM by wendel »
2012 C14

Offline jayke

Re: Mounting Rostra, on 2012, urgent question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
Attached to a throttle mounting screw?

Check this out:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=349

That's my '08 C14 in the picture.

Offline wendel

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
We figured it out. On the 10-12, there is a plastic piece that protects the wire for the heated grip. It has a spot on the inside that if the factory had mounted a bolt through it on the top, it would have been opened up. We are going to drill the plastic where the top screw is on yours. The only difference is the cover for the wire. Thanks.
2012 C14

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »
I trimmed my plastic heated grip wire cover thingy.
Jeff

Offline wendel

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »
Thanks.

Next question. On the diagram it shows a black connector and references a black and white dotted wire. I have a white connector but no black and white dotted wire. Which wire do I use?
2012 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »
Look at photograph 8 in the instructions on Murph's page: there are three large connectors in the rubber boot and you want the one containing the most wires of the three (I believe it has 13 wire but am not sure). You want to cut into the wire shown in the photo; orient the connector as it is in the photo and choose the third wire from the left, and the first one down (although it is in the second wire row: there is a notch in the connector directly above it).

Brian

Thanks.

Next question. On the diagram it shows a black connector and references a black and white dotted wire. I have a white connector but no black and white dotted wire. Which wire do I use?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »
2012 C14. Murph sent a mounting bracket for the switch pad that does not look like the one in the instructions. It does not have the arm on the bracket that goes down to the mounting bolt shown. It is somewhat square with a counter sunk hole and a screw that goes into the counter sunk hole. Where is this supposed to mount? Anyone with a 2010 to 2012 can help?

You mean this one?

I recommend that you attach it over on the left side to a home made bracket. I think
that it is much safer (to use while riding) over on that side. I put mine there but it's kind of ugly, you should
maybe make it look like Alan Reid's (scroll down to Alan's last picture).

Offline wendel

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »
Okay FartyMarty. Your post has been extremely helpful. I had to remove my control unit yesterday. I tried to put my fairing on and it would not fit. The control Unit stuck out too far so I had to take it off. I ran the wires to the rear and think I will change that. I do not know though since it is already run. I mounted my control box in the same location just not sideways. I can see where this will give a lot more room. Your information on where to connect the clutch wire answered my question. The photo under Murph's of the 08 C14 was not clear enough for me. I will have to wait until next week to finish this project as we ran out of time. I was getting excellent installation by another Mike M  who rode here yesterday and patiently spent the day working on my bike while I pretty much played gopher. There is enough changes between his 08 and my 12 to cause things to go slower than anticipated.

Sending a pm.
2012 C14

Offline wendel

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »
I am looking forward to completing this. I just got some additional information from FartyMarty. I really like his mounting location. No fabrication and trying to massage body panels. The information available is finally starting to make sense to me. The wiring harness under the left dash is not the same as the 08 model. A smarter person than me figured out which wire is the correct wire to hook the clutch wire to and posted the diagram.  :). Looks like the only fabrication required now is a bracket the control cable.
2012 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »
Glad to hear you have a method you like to mount your Rostra (wow, that just sounds nasty).

As far as the wiring goes, it is the same on all models of C-14 across all years, as far as the NSS wire in the top / left rubber boot goes (the only thing you need to connect in that area). The wire you want is black- mine had white dots along its length but the schematic shows the wire to be black. Now if you turn the connector around, the SAME CIRCUIT changes wire color to Red w/ Green stripe.... but it is the same circuit, in the same position in the same connector. Use either wire, it does not matter but the one that appears facing toward the rear, and hence the easiest one to get to, is the black one.

Brian

I am looking forward to completing this. I just got some additional information from FartyMarty. I really like his mounting location. No fabrication and trying to massage body panels. The information available is finally starting to make sense to me. The wiring harness under the left dash is not the same as the 08 model. A smarter person than me figured out which wire is the correct wire to hook the clutch wire to and posted the diagram.  :). Looks like the only fabrication required now is a bracket the control cable.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wendel

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:48:58 AM »
Thanks BDF. I really appreciate all the effort everyone has put forth to help me with this.
2012 C14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »
SO, wendel, how did the weekend go? Good Rostra install?

Offline wendel

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:15:27 AM »
Rostra installed. Works like it should. I am just having trouble getting the bottom motor mount bolt that came with the MCE bars to line up. It stops 3/4 in and will not go any further. The short bolt that is used with the spacer is there now. I think I may have started it crooked or my best thought is the part where the threads stop is catching somewhere. Seems the Rostra is thick enough to push the heat shield back and make it difficult to line up. In a couple of days after I have rode it for awhile, I will take the fairing off and try again. I also need a source for the barrel nuts as one came off the screw for the side of the fairing.

1. I have to tinker with the mounting bolt for the MCE bars
2. I need a source for the barrel nuts.
3. The fairings have been modified to come out w/o removing the MCE bars, however with the Rostra installed you have to loosen the bars and let them move forward or better yet take the left side off to get past the Rostra. The inner shape of the 2012 fairing hits the Rostra when you install or remove left fairing.
4. I have a much better understanding of the install process and thanks to Mike M who opened his garage and patiently worked on the install.
2012 C14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
Rostra installed. Works like it should.

Great news, congratulations!  :chugbeer: :thumbs:

The fairings have been modified to come out w/o removing the MCE bars,

Ehhh?  :o ...Do tell.  :popcorn:

edit: Nevermind, I found it ---> http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,32872.msg164778.html#msg164778
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:45:31 AM by fartymarty »

Offline wendel

Re: Mounting Rostra, on 2012, Completed
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
Well the bottom bolt hole will have to be tapped. I finally screwed it up. I had the short bolt that was used for the bottom bolt and spacer in the hole, but it kept nagging at me that I did not have the other longer bolt in its proper place. I think someone else snapped off a bolt in that lower mount. I do not know how but it seems that the motor  shifted ever so slightly so everything does not lineup exactly right for the lower hole. The top hole lines up and I am not taking it out anymore until the bottom is rethreaded. I have never rode it while the bolts were out, or disconnected the left and right side at the same time.  I do not know what caused the misalignment but it is frustrating. I will wait until the barrel nuts arrive from Murph's. My son knows a mechanic and he has the tools and experience to tap the hole again and everything will be fine again.
2012 C14

Offline wendel

Re: Mounting Rostra, on 2012, Completed
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 02:01:57 AM »
Son just returned the bike and the bolt hole has been repaired. He also found the missing well nut so when it gets daylight, I will put the screw in. Everything is good now :D

2012 C14