Author Topic: Help Rostra install  (Read 6637 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
Help Rostra install
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
I am testing my Rostra after my install.  I can't get it to go into any of the diagnostic modes mentioned either in the AWESOME Rostra instructions, or Brian Felice's instructions.  The switch that I have is different than the one that Brian has and I think that is causing my issues. 

I can't get into diagnostic mode, so I can't tell what is working and not.  I have the bike on the center stand, and I put it in 4th gear.  Ran the engine up to 40 mph and engaged the cruise.  There was plenty of lag, then the bike shot up to 70 mph before I could hit the 'off' button.  That turned it off.  The unit also shuts off with the brake.  What else is there to test?

I am a bit concerned about how it engages, but that could be related to the lack of weight on the bike.  Any suggestions to help me get this into diagnostic mode?

Scott
08 C14
St. Louis, MO
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline jamiemac

Re: Help Rostra install
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
Been over a year since I did Mine, but I had the same issue of no flashing diagnostic light or some such. I went for a test ride, and all worked like it should.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
re-check your grounds/connections. i had the same problems. all works great. what switch are you using?

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »
re-check your grounds/connections. i had the same problems. all works great. what switch are you using?

Murph is using a different switch now.  Though it is very similar, I can't help wonder if it is the reason. 

I'll check my ground, but it seems to work.  I just can't get the Dx LED to light.  It will flicker every now and again when I am pressing buttons, but I can't get diagnostic mode.  I want to put it back together and try it out, but I'm fearful of having to take it all back apart again!  I'm going back out to tinker this morning. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:03:25 AM by stlheadake »

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline xsv

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:25:19 AM »
Brian can probably help you on the diagnostics mode, but the way it engages on the center stand is normal.

I am a bit concerned about how it engages, but that could be related to the lack of weight on the bike.  Any suggestions to help me get this into diagnostic mode?

Scott
08 C14
St. Louis, MO
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »
get it off the centerstand and check it on the road silly.

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
get it off the centerstand and check it on the road silly.

I know, I am buttoning it up now.  I finally figured out how to get into the diagnostic mode, and it checked out.  I'm also installing a Fuze Block while I have everything open.  I can't wait to try it out.  I am hoping it works!!

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline gtrdon

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
If I remember correctly you can not have the the blue wire hooked up to go in to test mode. Brians dip switch settings work very well. If the brake light relay is working I would just go ride it. I never put mine threw the Diag mode and have had no troubles.
08 Kawasaki Concours 14
06 Kawasaki ZX14
86 Kawasaki ZX1000
76 Yamaha RD400

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
Just catching up on my e-mails and forum postings: glad you got to the bottom of this one (responded by e-mail too). Rostras can be ornery about going into diagnostic mode, and what switch you are using makes the sequence different. Some folks give up on diagnostic mode and just take it for a test- ride with good results. As someone else already said, the 'center stand' test will make the bike lurch pretty violently and is not useful to actually test the cruise control's operation, only that it functions. One big lurch does indicate that everything is engaged and working though. I am very hesitant to recommend that method of testing though because if the bike rocks enough, the rear wheel just may touch down and that just can't be good, especially in the garage.

Brian

I know, I am buttoning it up now.  I finally figured out how to get into the diagnostic mode, and it checked out.  I'm also installing a Fuze Block while I have everything open.  I can't wait to try it out.  I am hoping it works!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
So I took it out for a test ride.  There is good news and bad news.  It seemed to work at about 60 mph, but I can't say for sure HOW I got it engaged.  It seemed slow to 'catch on', but it held speed for time even up and down slight inclines on the interstate.  I COULD NOT get it to engage below 50 mph.  I don't know, but it seems to be kind of slow on the uptake even on the interstate. 

I haven't figured out how it actually engages.  So I can't positively say that it is working correctly.  It does disengage with the brakes (both), clutch, and the off switch, so that part is pretty good.  I'm just not real certain about activating it.   There were times that I hit the switch and it just activated.  There were times that I pushed the set button, nothing, pushed it again, nothing, then pushed again, and it worked.  Other times it was just like in my truck, hit it, and forget it. 

So I'm not sure what is going on.  I'm going to keep playing with it.

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:49:36 AM »
It sounds like there might be too much slack in the cable. Rostras are sensitive to how long it takes them to engage; if it takes too long the Rostra will disengage itself.

I have found that the minimum amount of slack seems to work best, perhaps 1/8" or even a touch less. Just enough slack to be absolutely sure the throttle won't hang on the Rostra cable under any circumstances.

Brian

So I took it out for a test ride.  There is good news and bad news.  It seemed to work at about 60 mph, but I can't say for sure HOW I got it engaged.  It seemed slow to 'catch on', but it held speed for time even up and down slight inclines on the interstate.  I COULD NOT get it to engage below 50 mph.  I don't know, but it seems to be kind of slow on the uptake even on the interstate. 

I haven't figured out how it actually engages.  So I can't positively say that it is working correctly.  It does disengage with the brakes (both), clutch, and the off switch, so that part is pretty good.  I'm just not real certain about activating it.   There were times that I hit the switch and it just activated.  There were times that I pushed the set button, nothing, pushed it again, nothing, then pushed again, and it worked.  Other times it was just like in my truck, hit it, and forget it. 

So I'm not sure what is going on.  I'm going to keep playing with it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 08:59:04 PM »
Just an update. all is working well.  I took as much of the slack out of the line as I could, and that seemed to make a huge difference.  Brian, a HUGE thanks again, I would have NEVER tried this without your detailed advice.  I can engage at at about 35 MPH, and it holds fine. 

so for now, problems solved...

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler