Poll

I just GOTTA know.  You should:

Give your standard wave or otherwise cool hand signal.
62 (86.1%)
Check to see if anyone is looking and THEN wave.
2 (2.8%)
Follow them til they stop and see if they will tell how much they REALLY paid.
2 (2.8%)
Fein vision problems and stare straight ahead.
5 (6.9%)
Go buy one yourself so you can see how they feel.
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Do you wave to Can-Am Spyders or not?  (Read 25378 times)

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
Do you wave to Can-Am Spyders or not?
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »
Several riders and I were having a discussion on this one.  Do you wave to Can Am Spyders or not?  The overwhelming majority seemed to think the Spyder does NOT qualify as a motorcycle, and therefore their riders do not receive a wave.  The majority also seemed to think they should be ranked the same as scooters.  What do you think?

Bob

Re: Do you wave to Can-Am Spyders or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »
I wave at all bikes and trikes no matter what make or model. And that will even include scooters. I don't care what you ride. It's that your ride for me!

I give three wheelers the three finger solutes. Bikes normally get the two finger solute!

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
Unfortunately around these parts I've found that trikes, Hogs, Can-Am drivers and Beemer boyz are pretty "hoidy toidy" and usually don't wave at all. So my new policy is to wait for a wave and I'll return one.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
Nope.  I wave at anyone on two wheels, even those obvious harley's that I know won't wave back.  You know who I mean.

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
Nope.  I wave at anyone on two wheels, even those obvious harley's that I know won't wave back.  You know who I mean.

Watch out bro, capnboob is not gonna like you dissin' the Hardleys...

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
Several riders and I were having a discussion on this one.  Do you wave to Can Am Spyders or not?  The overwhelming majority seemed to think the Spyder does NOT qualify as a motorcycle, and therefore their riders do not receive a wave.  The majority also seemed to think they should be ranked the same as scooters.  What do you think?

I think that anyone who is too "clickish" to wave at Scooters, Trikes, HD etc is someone I would just as soon not ride with at all.

Where would my Ural Tourist with Sidecar class as far as they were concerned? Would they think it does not rank as a motorcycle and unworthy of a wave? Come try and ride one without any training and you will find that it is so much harder to master than a bike.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline DaveO430

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
I wave at everyone pretty much, even scooters sometimes but seldom get a wave back from them. I wait for harley riders to wave first and can usually tell which ones will or won't.

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »

I think that anyone who is too "clickish" to wave at Scooters, Trikes, HD etc is someone I would just as soon not ride with at all.

Where would my Ural Tourist with Sidecar class as far as they were concerned? Would they think it does not rank as a motorcycle and unworthy of a wave? Come try and ride one without any training and you will find that it is so much harder to master than a bike.

No offense intended T Cro but I would wait for you to wave first if you were riding the Urinal.   ;D

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Lol I had this same conversation with some coworkers a few weeks ago.  Most of them don't ride, but someone mentioned their interest in a Spyder.  I couldn't help but try to convince that individual to get a "real motorcycle" lol.  While explaining the cons of a Spyder, I mentioned how I didn't wave to them, or scooters for that matter, when passing them on the road.  I know that sounds kinda snobby, but I can't help but feel like they're not really riding.  You have to get over certain fears and learn to control a lot of your basic instincts when learning how to ride a traditional motorcycle.  It's like some kind of right of passage you go through when learning to ride.  That's part of the respect all riders have for one another-- you immediately know the other rider had to, at some point or another, endure some trials and tribulations while mastering the art of two wheel riding.  And even after you've learned to ride, that constant state of alertness and uncertainty has to be in the front of your mind the whole time your riding because anything can go wrong.  Your reaction can mean the difference between life and death.  Does a Spyder rider have to think much about a panic stop?  Does that individual get a little nervous when they approach a 4-way stop on a steep hill, in the rain?  Will they ever experience the pucker factor when their back tire skids unintentionally at the most inopportune moment?  With a Spyder, you just hop on and go.  I'm sure there's a little specialized training involved, but nothing like a motorcycle.  Scooters are the same way.  No gears to shift or clutch to control.  It's because of the initial ease of operation that I don't like these machines.  I think they give people a false sense of skill and ability.  It's too easy to for riders to get their confidence up while not learning the finer skills that could one day save their life.  In the case of the three wheeled machines, I think they trade their easy start and stop for lack of agility should they have to dodge something.  I could go on forever about my issues with scooters and three wheeled machines, but it's easier to sum up with...they're not motorcycles, so I don't wave to them lol.  Sorry if that sounds rude, but I can't help it.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »
I wave at everyone. Doing the friendly thing doesn't require a response.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
No offense intended T Cro but I would wait for you to wave first if you were riding the Urinal.   ;D

As long as I'm not too busy with operating that thing I'll give ya your wave!  ;)

Cool thing about the Ural is that is is loved by kids and old folks alike, even the most stuck up V-Twin clone rider can't help but wave to me....

Heck even Horses and Cows wave......  :o
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »
Doing the friendly thing doesn't require a response.

:goodpost:
Tony P. Crochet

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
Well said Metzger, my brother was on a scooter kick for a while and in his case it actually made sense. If he had just stuck to his short commute to work, no problems, but when he decided to ride his Yamaha Majesty to bars (!!) and such he was constantly derided and I told him, what did you expect? Respect? LOL.

I laughed my ass off when a Hardley guy told him "Nice bike, if you wear a dress" as he walked into the establishment.

Sorry if it's rude but it's just the way it is. Right or wrong.

REminds me of a joke, What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover vacuum cleaner? 

The location of the dirtbag.

So rude...but damn isn't it true more often than not?

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 07:25:47 PM »
As long as I'm not too busy with operating that thing I'll give ya your wave!  ;)

Cool thing about the Ural is that is is loved by kids and old folks alike, even the most stuck up V-Twin clone rider can't help but wave to me....

Seriously T Cro, I was just having a little fun. I actually find Urals intriguing and some of the nicest folks I've ever met ride them, so far. So, yes, I would probably give you a wave the moment you were detected.

A scooter, Can Am, Beemer, Ducati, or Harley rider...probably not.   :-\

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »
Yep, I wave at scooters,  trikes (no matter where you put the two wheels) and tractors,  ;D
I do however think they are all missing out, but even a bicycle is better than a car in my book.
:rotflmao:
'02 C-10

Bob

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
Watch out bro, capnboob is not gonna like you dissin' the Hardleys...

Hey don't get me wrong. He's right that a lot of Harley riders will not wave back, will not talk to you in public or other. Maybe even disrespect you for what you ride! I just get aggravated when the first thing we do is stoop to that level and play the anti Harley card. For the record, I have never owned a Harley and have no immediate plans of purchasing a Harley. I just have the opinion that we are all motorcyclists. And any unessasry bias against other motorcyclists never makes any of us look good. It just brings us down to the level of the certain people that are being targeted in the first place.
 I understand that it is just being all in fun. But why I get upset is that it becomes a dog pile on the Harley  (or other) bashing party! And like I've said in other threads about us: I think that we're better than that.
 So don't take me took seriously on this. I just try to head off at the pass, threads that probably will go down hill quickly! 

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »
Of course I wave....  Actually, if you non-believers get a chance, take one of them for a test drive!  If you ride a sled or a quad you'll take to it like a duck to water.. ;D   If I had arthritic issues with my ankles, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!  Although I would prolly get a custom paint job on it along with a chip & a nice sounding set of pipes to let that Aprilia motor breathe a bit more...
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »
I gotya Bob but I've got a dark sense of humor and I've been there and done that with the Harley's and I can tell you that most of them (not all) HATE us for riding non-American "iron". I really don't see the point in trying to kid-glove this.

Maybe you are a real saint. I can respect that. But I don't want to have to be politically correct when I talk motorcycles. I refuse.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 07:34:27 PM »
Seriously T Cro, I was just having a little fun. I actually find Urals intriguing and some of the nicest folks I've ever met ride them, so far. So, yes, I would probably give you a wave the moment you were detected.

A scooter, Can Am, Beemer, Ducati, or Harley rider...probably not.   :-\

I know that your just having a little fun at my expence and I'm good with that...... It's not like we sleep together or something!  :-*

But I'm serious I give everyone a wave if I'm a mind too no matter which bike I'm on or what they ride as for me its the idea that you ride not what you ride that makes us a true band of brothers and sisters out there.

I think most scooter riders are too scared to wave to full size bikes like they are unworthy of returning salute.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
I think most scooter riders are too scared to wave to full size bikes like they are unworthy of returning salute.

A lot of "scooter only" folks have no clue about the "wave" tradition...I think it's just that simple.