Author Topic: 0-60 and standing 1/4s  (Read 5353 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
0-60 and standing 1/4s
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »

An object in free fall, without any air resistance, near the Earth's surface accelerates from 0–100 km/h in 2.83 seconds and from 0–60 mph in 2.73 seconds.

An object in free fall (without any air resistance) near the Earth's surface (presumably more than a 1/4 mile) has a quarter mile time of 9.06 seconds and a speed of 198.7 mph.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: 0-60 and standing 1/4s
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
This would be a marvelous entry in "a thread about nothing at all".

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=49.2445

Also these numbers seem to almost match the times of a well tuned ZX14R with a good pilot aboard. Coincidence?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
This would be a marvelous entry in "a thread about nothing at all".

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=49.2445

Also these numbers seem to almost match the times of a well tuned ZX14R with a good pilot aboard. Coincidence?

Well if one of the admins would care to move it :)

Spooky eh :;)

--

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
Per your other post today....

Refill the bong, repeat 3 times, and go watch the food channel on tv.... mmmmmkay...?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
I'm feeling indisposed at the moment so no, it's ok here.  Where did my beer go?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:36:44 PM »
I'm feeling indisposed at the moment so no, it's ok here.  Where did my beer go?

Its next to the bong, on the coffee table... by the tv remote.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »
 :salute:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »
It's like a variation on George Orwells Animal farm.

--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 04:29:10 AM »
It only gets better... ;D   Best hope the UK forum doesn't catch the madness.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 05:41:06 AM »
there are some subtle social diversities between the two environments
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 05:51:09 AM »
True...but I travel between realms all the time and I could be contagious.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »
True...but I travel between realms all the time and I could be contagious.

Barry Allen?
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 06:13:35 AM »
Oh, much faster than him.  Literally takes me less than a second to get to the UK.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »
Per your other post today....

Refill the bong, repeat 3 times, and go watch the food channel on tv.... mmmmmkay...?

Tip of the day: never ever do this unless you have a well stocked pantry and fridge  ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 06:43:09 AM »
there are some subtle social diversities between the two environments

I've found it is sometimes way too easy to offend delicate British sensibilities.  8)

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
I've found it is sometimes way too easy to offend delicate British sensibilities.  8)

Yank thing.....is it....?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »
An object in free fall, without any air resistance, near the Earth's surface accelerates from 0–100 km/h in 2.83 seconds and from 0–60 mph in 2.73 seconds.

An object in free fall (without any air resistance) near the Earth's surface (presumably more than a 1/4 mile) has a quarter mile time of 9.06 seconds and a speed of 198.7 mph.

In short, it accelerates at 10.8 meters-per second, per second..... ;D ;D
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »
Maybe where you are. Here is is 32.2 ft. per second per second. Which is probably why we invented drag racing- acceleration is much quicker in this part of the world.

:rotflmao:

On a serious note though, I am disappointment we (the US) has not adopted the metric system. While I am comfortable with our system (which is really the UK's 'old' system kept alive on life- support), it is a PIA when switching between industries because the norm. is to use different measurements. Right now, I am in the middle of a house renovation and I simply cannot think in the terms builders use, which are feet and inches (rather than feet with a decimal or just inches alone). Looking at doors and seeing the size as, literally, " 2-4 " just does not make any sense but it means 2 feet plus 4 inches, or 28". The metric system's best feature IMO is that there is only one unit of measure for any given type (i.e., length = meter, volume = liter, etc.). Our system is a mess: 36" = a yard, 5280 feet = mile..... quick, how many yards in a mile? And just to make it worse, we break inches down into divisions of 1/16, 1/8 and so forth as a "standard", which while I am familiar with it and it is second nature in my field, makes absolutely no sense at all, whatsoever. And difficult for the layperson to know how 3/16" and 1/4" relate to each other. And for dessert, we use these fractions to standardize nuts, bolts and screws except for the parts when we do not: a quarter- inch screw is spec.'d as "1/4" plus the thread pitch but a 3/16 screw is spec.'d as..... wait for it..... a #10. So of course a #5 screw must be 1/8", which it is, and an #6 screw.... has no fractional equivalent. It is a mess I tella' ya'.

Brian

In short, it accelerates at 10.8 meters-per second, per second..... ;D ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 11:38:25 AM »
Maybe where you are. Here is is 32.2 ft. per second per second. Which is probably why we invented drag racing- acceleration is much quicker in this part of the world.

:rotflmao:

On a serious note though, I am disappointment we (the US) has not adopted the metric system. While I am comfortable with our system (which is really the UK's 'old' system kept alive on life- support), it is a PIA when switching between industries because the norm. is to use different measurements. Right now, I am in the middle of a house renovation and I simply cannot think in the terms builders use, which are feet and inches (rather than feet with a decimal or just inches alone). Looking at doors and seeing the size as, literally, " 2-4 " just does not make any sense but it means 2 feet plus 4 inches, or 28". The metric system's best feature IMO is that there is only one unit of measure for any given type (i.e., length = meter, volume = liter, etc.). Our system is a mess: 36" = a yard, 5280 feet = mile..... quick, how many yards in a mile? And just to make it worse, we break inches down into divisions of 1/16, 1/8 and so forth as a "standard", which while I am familiar with it and it is second nature in my field, makes absolutely no sense at all, whatsoever. And difficult for the layperson to know how 3/16" and 1/4" relate to each other. And for dessert, we use these fractions to standardize nuts, bolts and screws except for the parts when we do not: a quarter- inch screw is spec.'d as "1/4" plus the thread pitch but a 3/16 screw is spec.'d as..... wait for it..... a #10. So of course a #5 screw must be 1/8", which it is, and an #6 screw.... has no fractional equivalent. It is a mess I tella' ya'.

Brian

Hey we haven't fully adopted the metric system either.

Fuel is sold in litres but consumption is measured in Miles Per Gallon

Distances are all in miles and countdown markers are in Yards

Fruit is sold in kg (or per item) as is sugar but beer is served in Pints (or glasses for the pedant amongst you)

Smaller measurements I'm comfortable in mm, heights I can use either, distance I use miles unless I pop over to Europe in which case I recalibrate my brain to use kilometers
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »
Bloody colonials :banana
--