Author Topic: **Updated** Grip removal and reinstallation. Heli's on (and spelling corrected)  (Read 5532 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
First off, I put this in the open forum so I didn't exclude C-10 or C-14 riders, I know some (like me) don't look at the "other" model threads. Mods move as you see fit. I need to remove and reuse the grips on my bike. Normally, compressed air is the no brainer answer and works great for me both removing and reinstalling. The trouble is, I am temporarily living in my RV in a campground in NC and don't have access to my garage full of tools, even a weekend trip home is out of the question, it's a minimum of 12 hours each way. I brought my newly powder coated Heli bars (Thanks Chris ;D) with me and have sufficient tools to perform the surgery, but am struggling with the grips. My 12v inflator is too anemic, I've already tried it. A knife is out of the question, even if i were to go buy new grips, I have grip heaters under there. Maybe a WD-40 can and stick the straw under the grip? If anyone has a method that has worked for them, please share! TIA ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:37:14 PM by bbroj »
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Grip removal and reinstalation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
Maybe a WD-40 can and stick the straw under the grip?
That's what I was going to suggest.

Don't know if there's enough pressure or volume, but maybe some canned air, like for dusting computer keyboards.

I don't know if I'd try it with the grip heaters, but I've taken grips off using a small diameter, long screwdriver to stretch the grip a little.  Then I went around and around inside the grip with it, as a pushed the grip off the end of the bar.  Far more work than compressed air, but sometimes you use what you have available.

I don't expect that changing the bars over would take too long.  Maybe a friendly motorcycle or auto repair place would let you use their air hose for a minute at the start and end of your project. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
I don't expect that changing the bars over would take too long.  Maybe a friendly motorcycle or auto repair place would let you use their air hose for a minute at the start and end of your project.

Hmmm, The front office of the campground has a bunch of tools and supplies (compressed air, I think), maybe I can putt up there and get the grips off, come back and change the bars and head back up to put the grips back on. I was thinking of having to do it all at once and in one place. Nothing says I can't ride the bike a short distance without grips! Thanks Jon.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »
I don't suggest the WD40 method, but for the last 35 years I have used Gumout, and the red snooter tube, slipped in alongside the grip/bar interface, give it a good squirt and begin twisting and pulling. They always slip right off.
The solvent evaporates rapidly, and leaves no residue.
I re-install using the same method wetting the inside of the grip with a generous spray, and slamming the grip on.
It takes about 10 minutes to become dry inside.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:07:26 PM »
WD-40 was just a generic suggestion, I think what is actually in my box is Liquid Wrench. I will likely wait 'til next weekend at this point. It's supposed to be a nice week and I want to ride as often as possible. I wouldn't think twice about doing this in any given evening, but I'm working on a gravel parking spot with minimal tools and lighting. I want to do all I can to ensure success in a single attempt (like not loosing parts in the gravel, there will be something covering the area). I will check if I have access to compressed air from the camp ground owners, and proceed from there. What's the difference between Gummout or a WD-40 or one of it's clones? I know WD-40 in mostly solvent, not lubricant.
COG 9331

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
..What's the difference between Gummout or a WD-40 or one of it's clones? I know WD-40 in mostly solvent, not lubricant.

WD40 is a lubricant that contains silicone....spray it on a tile floor and watch what happens  ;D slick as snot. The residue stays slick.
Gumout is a solvent only that dries immediatly, it is used to clean and remove residue, when sprayed under the grips it acts very slipery with the rubber/metal interface.

I have installed grips using simple rubbing alcohol as a "lube", and it would work for removal if you can squirt it in under the grip (using a big hypodermic needle?).

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »
Alcohol may be an option for me. It is used in my field of work to clean fiber connections and prep for fiber splices, I believe it's 10% isopropyl but I'm not sure, I do know it's a much higher % than the over the counter stuff at the drugstore. I may even be able to find it at work in a squeeze bottle which might help. I went for a walk around the campground tonight and saw an air hose outside the managers garage/barn, so I'm hopeful I can just borrow a blast of air and get it done the way I'm familiar with and has worked for me in the past.
COG 9331

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
I've got the park managers Ok to use the compressed air for my grip removal. Hopefully later today there will be pics of my newly mounted Heli bars in this very thread!
COG 9331

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
I've got the park managers Ok to use the compressed air for my grip removal. Hopefully later today there will be pics of my newly mounted Heli bars in this very thread!
Could you make a note in the suject line when you get the pics up? Don't want to miss them.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »
Could you make a note in the suject line when you get the pics up? Don't want to miss them.
And while you're at it, fix the spelling of "installation".   
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Grip removal and reinstallation. Done, Heli's installed!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
All done. I have a ride planned for tomorow, errands and pleasure to test them out. I have the tools necessary to adjust them as needed. I used the air to remove the grips, and put them back on with alcohol (facial astringent, actually ::), thanks MOB), it worked like a charm. Sorry the bike is so dirty, but it does show off what a nice job Chris (Snarf) did with the powder coating. That's another thing I can't do here at my temporary home, wash the bike >:( Time to find a local Connie rider with a hose and sponge (Ron, you listening?) Well, here are the pics, before and after...
COG 9331

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
Couldn't get the last one in...
COG 9331

Offline snarf

• Arena
Hey those are damn sexy. Those polished bits-n-pieces really set off the gloss black.
If I ever find the time Im gonna make me a set of Heli bars.
Looking good Blaise. :chugbeer:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Grip removal and reinstallation. Done, Heli's installed!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »
That's another thing I can't do here at my temporary home, wash the bike >:(
Don't worry.  It will take another year or so before it looks like mine.   :rotflmao:

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Hey those are damn sexy. Those polished bits-n-pieces really set off the gloss black.
If I ever find the time Im gonna make me a set of Heli bars.
Looking good Blaise. :chugbeer:
I have a set you can use as a pattern  ;) The SS fasteners really so set off the gloss black, I couldn't be happier  :thumbs:

Don't worry.  It will take another year or so before it looks like mine.   :rotflmao:
If I could match the mileage, it would be worth it!!
COG 9331

Offline snarf

• Arena
I just zoomed in on some of your pictures :( :( :(
My god man you have fingerprints and smudges all over the place.  If this is how your going to treat your toys then I think its time for a "time out" mister. ;)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
 :'( Sorry, I know. But the evil park owner won't allow any vehicle washing in the park. You think he's worried about someone saying "he washed his bike, I figured washing my class A motorhome would be Ok. Sorry I dried up the well." Lots of car wash places around, but I don't like using that much pressure on the bike. I threw a hint out to SAS Mauhem, no reply yet...
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Lots of car wash places around, but I don't like using that much pressure on the bike.
Just stand farther back when you hit the sprayer.  That's what I do on the rare occasions mine gets a bath.  The really high pressure dissipates pretty quickly as you get farther from the nozzle.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Good idea, I could also just not pull the pressure trigger  :o I enjoy the time spent with sponge and water washing the bike, still hoping to hook up with someone locally to meet and borrow a hose, bucket and sponge!
COG 9331