Author Topic: TPMS Accuracy  (Read 7533 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: TPMS Accuracy
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 02:01:27 AM »
Even if the TPS readout is not accurate, it should be repeatable. That is all we really need- as long as when the tire is at, say, 42 PSI, the gauge always reads 45 PSI, then the reading is meaningful. A C-14 owner could even go so far as to put a small note near the dash display that reads something like -3 or 45 = 42 or something similar as a reminder.

My own TPS are pretty accurate, and that is for the two sets (front and rear) that I have had in the bike.

Brian

An instrument like this is to give me info. I don't expect it to give me hundredths of PSI, but I expect it to be +/- 1 PSI accurate. It should be as accurate as needed to show something before there is appreciable change on the behavior of the bike.
These sensors are made in France and cost several hundreds of dollars to buy. I don't accept having to add a post-it to my dashboard  :o
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »
An instrument like this is to give me info. I don't expect it to give me hundredths of PSI, but I expect it to be +/- 1 PSI accurate. It should be as accurate as needed to show something before there is appreciable change on the behavior of the bike.
These sensors are made in France and cost several hundreds of dollars to buy. I don't accept having to add a post-it to my dashboard  :o

Oh my....a pic opportunity with my Connie in the making......

hey at least Kawi got KiPass right or we'd be pushing our bikes around
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
Well, regardless of the price or the [ahem] place of manufacturer, the stated purpose, as well as the obvious purpose of the TPS is to allow the rider to monitor any changes in tire pressure in addition to drawing the rider's attention to the tire pressure should it fall below a predetermined level. It is not nor was it ever meant to be used in place of a tire pressure gauge. Further, if that were tried, it would take riding the bike to see what the pressure in each tire was followed by a long cool- down period, a pressure adjustment and then another test ride to again turn the sensors on. It is not only easier but also the only practical way to check tire pressure on this vehicle using a hand- held pressure gauge.

Now besides all of that, only Mary Jane Tinklepants would use a Post- It note to keep track of any pressure offset readings on a motorcycle; real men would just dig the offset number into the dash with a dull awl, someplace near or perhaps directly into the LCD screen. Hardley riders would tatoo the offset onto their knuckles....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline r2t2

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »
Mine fluctuates +/- 1 to 2 pounds... Like a few have said... It's a good way to warn that a tire is going flat...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »
I have two high quality gauges, and my tps measures 3-4 psi low on the front and rear.  Maybe not so bad, really, as the lack of sensitivity keeps it from driving a person nuts as the tire heats and cools.

Offline OregonJim

• Think Blue
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
Mechanic at my dealership, who also owns a 2011 C14, advised me not to rely solely on the TPM system. Suggested using a gauge to set pressure, then watch the onboard readout for changes.
Jim
2012 C14

Offline booger

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »

I agree.  +/-1 PSI equates to 5% of scale at 40 psi.  You would think a mediocre digital sensor should be able to give you that.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
Starting to hate the damn things.....and dealers too. >:(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »
I dont think the exact pressure is that important.  Suppose making it 100% accurate caused it to be a sensitive as the range sensor for the fuel?  There would be a line at the shops to have tps removed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »
 I tested mine today, since my tires were a bit low.  I filled them both, then used a high-quality Slime analog gauge to set both to exactly 42.  Ambient temp was 71 degrees (unseasonably cool and beautiful day).  Later, I took the bike out (72 degrees).  Initially the TPS showed 42/42 and after several miles, it said 43/42.  Several hours later, at night, at 62 degrees, they consistently said 42/42.

So, in my case, they are pretty darn accurate.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc