Author Topic: It's that time of the year.... What tire are you sporting??  (Read 24096 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: It's that time of the year.... What tire are you sporting??
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »
... Oh, hey, Marty, you didn't post on there how many miles were on the tire!!!
I weigh around 180-185 geared up, but like I said the bike is almost always packed for a trip as I just don't day ride her much. So the side cases and top bag will be loaded but no pillion unless I have the cooler along for the trip.
That pictured tire is approx. 8500-8700 miles of usage. I've never gotten more than 9k out of a rear tire. The fronts always (well not the OEMs of course) look like they could go to 10-12k but I replace in pairs usually.   

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2016, 11:19:48 PM »
Shoot man, ATGATT puts me at 260-270. I couldn't get to 137 unless I cut off all my limbs and then some (big hands you know...  ;))

I don't know my ATGATT weight.  Never occurred to me to weigh myself like that :)  I will have to try and remember to do that someday.

Regarding your miles left, I'll start the pool with 700 miles based on the thickness of Marty's cross-section photo. I'd be toast in 200.

I hope it is more than that!  Looks like this could be turned into a fun game, although without any prizes.

It is interesting to read how huge the variance can be- Denzier's is similar to my mine, Marty's is somewhat more than half.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2016, 05:02:30 AM »
Were they "A" spec version?.I have Angel GT "A" spec on the GTR1400,outstanding tyre in terms of handling,response and braking on both wet and dry roads.Wearing very well no abnormal wear patterns.The bike handling and response far better than I though possible on such a heavy bike when fully loaded for touring.

+1

I just ordered a new Angel GT/A after noticing the cords starting to show in the old tire. I got right around 10k miles out of the same tire and I never had to plug it! The tire will be delivered tomorrow. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2016, 05:30:41 AM »
+1

I just ordered a new Angel GT/A after noticing the cords starting to show in the old tire. I got right around 10k miles out of the same tire and I never had to plug it! The tire will be delivered tomorrow.

Yeah the Angel lovers are out there :) If they weren't back ordered until November they would be on my bike right now.

I could have went with a set of Avon's or something else but with all the hype about the PR's I figured I'd give them a try. Aside from not falling into the turns like the Angel's I'm not unhappy with them. They do grip well and I'm getting more confident with them in the turns. The Angels are just a completely different feel.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2016, 05:40:52 AM »
Jeez.... ya'll a bunch of lightweights.... I tip the scale at 270 pounds (123Kg) buck naked, never mind with ATGATT.... I can add about 8 pounds (4kg) for my boots alone....

Then again, my normal cruising speed on any road is normally 85-100MpH(140-160Km/H), although our legal speed limit is at most 75MpH (120Km/H). Straights / flats is obviously playtime, then it goes up to 125-135MpH (200-220Km/H) on long trips. (hence the covered number-plate when I travel. Rather pay R500 for covering a number-plate, than R???? for a speeding fine.)

That obviously eats tyres, hence the reason for my PR4 (Normal) at 5200 miles (8500Km), looks the same as Maxtog's....

Now a bit :offtopic: I know, but talking of fines..... There is a member amongst us, that once got a R45 000 speeding fine. Authorities actually came and fetched him from his home, and locked him up to appear in court.  A few years ago, but still valid.....

Back on topic, I need to replace front and rear tyres a.s.a.p. While at it, I'll be replacing the batteries in the tyre pressure sensors as well. (joys of owning an '08model  :thumbs: ) I'll definitely be looking at the PR4's again, but the GT version. I bought the bike with a normal PR4 on the rear, and a normal PR3 on the front. Tyres were new when I bought the bike 7 months ago, and didn't see the need to replace them. If I could get my hands on a set of PR3's, I would most definitely not hesitate to buy them. I actually preferred the 3's to the 4's.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »
Jeez.... ya'll a bunch of lightweights.... I tip the scale at 270 pounds (123Kg) buck naked, never mind with ATGATT.... I can add about 8 pounds (4kg) for my boots alone....

Then again, my normal cruising speed on any road is normally 85-100MpH(140-160Km/H), although our legal speed limit is at most 75MpH (120Km/H). Straights / flats is obviously playtime, then it goes up to 125-135MpH (200-220Km/H) on long trips. (hence the covered number-plate when I travel. Rather pay R500 for covering a number-plate, than R???? for a speeding fine.)

That obviously eats tyres, hence the reason for my PR4 (Normal) at 5200 miles (8500Km), looks the same as Maxtog's....

Now a bit :offtopic: I know, but talking of fines..... There is a member amongst us, that once got a R45 000 speeding fine. Authorities actually came and fetched him from his home, and locked him up to appear in court.  A few years ago, but still valid.....

Back on topic, I need to replace front and rear tyres a.s.a.p. While at it, I'll be replacing the batteries in the tyre pressure sensors as well. (joys of owning an '08model  :thumbs: ) I'll definitely be looking at the PR4's again, but the GT version. I bought the bike with a normal PR4 on the rear, and a normal PR3 on the front. Tyres were new when I bought the bike 7 months ago, and didn't see the need to replace them. If I could get my hands on a set of PR3's, I would most definitely not hesitate to buy them. I actually preferred the 3's to the 4's.

We can still get the PR3's https://www.jakewilson.com/p/1742/30413/Michelin-Pilot-Road-3-Radial-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

Offline Conrad

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2016, 09:43:58 AM »

Yeah the Angel lovers are out there :) If they weren't back ordered until November they would be on my bike right now.

I could have went with a set of Avon's or something else but with all the hype about the PR's I figured I'd give them a try. Aside from not falling into the turns like the Angel's I'm not unhappy with them. They do grip well and I'm getting more confident with them in the turns. The Angels are just a completely different feel.

Where did you look for the Angels that said backordered till November? I had a look at 5 or 6 online retailers yesterday and they all had stock on the rear tires (I didn't check on the front). I ended up ordering from Dennis Kirk, $161 for a Angel GT/A 190/50

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »
Where did you look for the Angels that said backordered till November? I had a look at 5 or 6 online retailers yesterday and they all had stock on the rear tires (I didn't check on the front). I ended up ordering from Dennis Kirk, $161 for a Angel GT/A 190/50

This was a couple of weeks ago I looked around. RevZilla, Motorcycle SuperStore, Amazon... etc... All said backordered but never said how long. My mechanic (who is also a C14 pilot) then said his dealer had them backordered until November. This was for the 190/55 A spec.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2016, 10:45:03 PM »
We can still get the PR3's https://www.jakewilson.com/p/1742/30413/Michelin-Pilot-Road-3-Radial-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

Thanks Rhino, appreciated.

For the price of shipping them over to the RSA, I might as well just get the PR4 GT's here. The dealer I buy from locally, supplies, fits and balances it free of charge. You actually get discount for a combo as well.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2016, 06:19:18 AM »
Thanks Rhino, appreciated.

For the price of shipping them over to the RSA, I might as well just get the PR4 GT's here. The dealer I buy from locally, supplies, fits and balances it free of charge. You actually get discount for a combo as well.

Yeah I'm sure shipping to RSA from the US is not ideal. But here in the US, jakewilson.com ships free and it's never more than 2 days. Sometimes it's the next day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
I just noticed that my rear PR4GT is getting near the center wearband, although has lots of outer tread :(   Highway victim.   I replaced the worn-out OEM tires at 9,357mi on 04-10-2014.  Now at 23,500  = 14,143.  I think I can go several more months.  The front I am not so sure about, I need to look more closely.

I am now at about 16,600 miles on the PR4GT's, the second set of tires on the Concours (put on 04-10-2014 at 9,357 miles; bike now at 26,000 miles).  The tiny center line on the rear tire is still just barely visible.  The front doesn't have all that much life either.  So it is pretty much time to spend lots of money.  I certainly can't complain about the life!

Michelin PR4GT   Front: 120/70ZR17 58W   Rear: 190/50ZR17 73W

My local dealer (Sunrise) wanted:  front $199.16 + rear $276 + tax $23.75 =  $498.75!  And I would save only $40 on mounting when buying the tires from them and they wouldn't even discuss a price reduction.

Ordered tires from Jake Wilson again:  Front $151.99  rear $209.99  they price matched Bike Bandit for $5, so total with free shipping and no tax was $356.98.

Now I have to pay an exorbitant price to get them mounted.... wait for it.... $220!!!!!   Complete ends up being $576.98, approaching $0.035 per mile.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline garfield1974

• Kawaski GTR 1400 2008
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2017, 05:34:22 PM »
I am now at about 16,600 miles on the PR4GT's, the second set of tires on the Concours (put on 04-10-2014 at 9,357 miles; bike now at 26,000 miles).  The tiny center line on the rear tire is still just barely visible.  The front doesn't have all that much life either.  So it is pretty much time to spend lots of money.  I certainly can't complain about the life!

Michelin PR4GT   Front: 120/70ZR17 58W   Rear: 190/50ZR17 73W

My local dealer (Sunrise) wanted:  front $199.16 + rear $276 + tax $23.75 =  $498.75!  And I would save only $40 on mounting when buying the tires from them and they wouldn't even discuss a price reduction.

Ordered tires from Jake Wilson again:  Front $151.99  rear $209.99  they price matched Bike Bandit for $5, so total with free shipping and no tax was $356.98.

Now I have to pay an exorbitant price to get them mounted.... wait for it.... $220!!!!!   Complete ends up being $576.98, approaching $0.035 per mile.

That must be a joke  :o

Last time I fitted "slippers" on GTR it cost me about 20 $  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »

That must be a joke  :o

Last time I fitted "slippers" on GTR it cost me about 20 $  ;D

Nope, they are dead serious.  Some people save money by bringing in just the wheels/tires, but that isn't an option for me.

I did find an independent shop called "Precision Motorcycle".  They quoted $100 to balance and mount both tires, so that is less than half of Sunrise's price.  But can I trust them?  For $120 savings, I am certainly considering it.  Plus, they are less busy, so I might be able to do-it-while-I-wait.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2017, 06:30:13 AM »
Nope, they are dead serious.  Some people save money by bringing in just the wheels/tires, but that isn't an option for me.

I did find an independent shop called "Precision Motorcycle".  They quoted $100 to balance and mount both tires, so that is less than half of Sunrise's price.  But can I trust them?  For $120 savings, I am certainly considering it.  Plus, they are less busy, so I might be able to do-it-while-I-wait.

Just make sure that they're aware of the TPS modules and how fragile they can be.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
Just make sure that they're aware of the TPS modules and how fragile they can be.

Yep, I asked the guy about that, he said they are used to it, but to warn them about it at the time I arrive.  I wonder if there is anything else "special" or "different" about the C14 I need to point out to them?  Since I own the factory manual, I would bring that in for them.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2017, 07:25:31 AM »

No f'ing way I'd pay a stealer that price for tires and mounting. I use an indy shop and because I value my time more than I enjoy removing wheels I take the bike in. When you were at the indy shop did you notice what bikes they had in the service dept?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2017, 09:47:26 AM »
No f'ing way I'd pay a stealer that price for tires and mounting. I use an indy shop and because I value my time more than I enjoy removing wheels I take the bike in. When you were at the indy shop did you notice what bikes they had in the service dept?

This time I called.  I have only been there physically once.  They seemed to have just about every type there.

http://www.precisionmotorcycle.com/

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
The C14 is really easy to remove wheels from. Especially the back.If at all possible remove them and save some dollars. Let them know your rotors are straight and you want them to stay that wsy
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline dude412

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 03:38:45 PM »
Yep, I asked the guy about that, he said they are used to it, but to warn them about it at the time I arrive.  I wonder if there is anything else "special" or "different" about the C14 I need to point out to them?  Since I own the factory manual, I would bring that in for them.
Just had a set of Pirelli Angel GT put on my 2012 and I noticed a different looking valve stem on the back. Its a little longer. Everything still works.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »

Tires arrived today.  Work is a nightmare- 17 hours Monday, 10 hours Tuesday, have already worked 13 hours today and have to go back.  Tomorrow is the same.  I think they will be sitting in the corner a long while....