Author Topic: Getting started with a GPS from Garmin  (Read 17944 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Getting started with a GPS from Garmin
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:13:09 AM »
I wanted this post to be for 'beginners' in the GPS world.  It's my first time owning one and I've been resisting from the beginning (I will not submit!).  I've decided to get one as I'm starting to get discombobulated in cities.  Another reason is to find points of interest (restaurants and gas stations for the most part).

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4468.0

I've just bought a 1490LMT.  It's got lifetime updates for traffic and maps.  I've decided on that one because it's bluetooth and it  has the larger 5 inch screen (my eyes need all the help they can get and if it talks to me all the better).  Also decided not to get the MC version as I didn't want to pay all the extra money for waterproofing and such.  This will be used in all my vehicles except my truck.  The truck only goes to the dump and to town on special occasions so I don't need any routing assistance for it.

I registered it at the Garmin site http://www.garmin.com .  I'm supposed to get 10% off on accessories by doing that.  They want the typical information.  Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Impressions:  It is a large screen and I like it so far.  All it says is Garmin for now with a picture of a PC connected to the unit.  Waiting on the updated map to load.  My goodness, it takes a long time for that.  The file must be freakin huge!  It's downloading at 9Mbps/sec and still going.  Ok, that's done and my embedded map was 2012.10.  I'm now updating to .20 .  I've updated the sw from the website and now I've had to disconnect and restart.  It's updating again so the first update may have been firmware/sw.  This update is slow.  Must be because it's huge.  Looks like Garmin updates the entire map and not just in pieces.  I tried to figure out how to back it up first but gave up.  Maybe someone can help in that respect.  BTW, I'm running a Windows 7 64 bit PC.  The software appears to be working fine with that level.

While I'm waiting on the map update, I've decided to see what came with the unit.  I've got this one strange looking power cord that must be the traffic updater connection.  One USB cable for attachment to the PC.  Took me a bit to figure where to plug it as it was on the rear of the unit itself.  I was looking to plug it into one of the sides....silly me.  The standard mounting is window suction cup.  That method of attachment is going out of style as it leaves a tell tale mark on the windshield that thieves use to determine if you have a unit stashed inside the vehicle.  I'm going to use the attachment that fits in a cupholder for now.  I may order the beanbag later but we'll see how this goes.  Will also need to get a mount for the bike but as I've got a pinched nerve that makes riding more than a mile impossible I'm going to hold off on that.

I'm going to step away for a bit as the update process is taking some time to complete.  Ok, it's done successfully.  Took about an hour all told.

Went outside and tried to see if it knew where I was......it didn't.  It thought I was in Chicago.  OMG, I've spent money on a lemon!  I decided to take it for a ride and see if it figured out anything.  It's cloudy and rainy today and I do have a copious amount of leaved trees surrounding me.  If this is the problem and it only works on sunny days......in the desert?

Went out and drove a few miles and just as I was getting ready to turn into my subdivision it came up and showed exactly where I was.  The antenna indicator went from two reds to all green.  I guess it just took time to figure out where it was.

Unintended Consequences:

All bluetooth phones are not created equal.  My older bluetooth enabled phone will not pair to this GPS, tarnation!  Garmin does have a list of compatible phones for their units.  Which begs the question, what type of bluetooth does this unit have?  I can't find out from Garmin.  Maybe I should look at the box....nothing there.  I'll need to sort this out as I would like to use it for hands free.  It will also not talk to my SMH10 unfortunately, either.  Here's a good website to look at for compatibility http://gadgetguide.bluetooth.com/  .  Wished I had seen it earlier.  Time to get a phone I guess.

According to the SMH10 website, it will only pair with
TomTom rider2, Zumo220, Zumo550, Zumo660,  and Zumo665
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:29:02 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline COGnosticat0r

Re: Getting started with a GPS from Garmin
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:19:27 AM »
Good thread VJ, it should help some to quicken a learning curve.  It took over an hour for me to update the maps, and there is a tricky step to make sure it updates both GPS and computer at the same time.  On the second screen of the update, on the left side near the bottom is a button, can't remember what it says, but you need to click that, then click on update gps and computer.  Why it defaults to the gps only, well who knows

By updating to 2012.20 you will lose over half of the junction views that was on the 2012.10 so here is my thread on restoring even more junction views.  On my trip to Colonial Williamsburg from Savannah this past weekend the junction view worked on each junction I took. Sweeet  ;)

Here is a link to that post:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4451.msg51292#msg51292
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:47:17 AM »
Too late to check the box to update the PC and the device.  I've got it checked now, though.  It's the Settings button on the lower left. 

Thanks for adding that link.  Now for a silly question.....what's a junction view?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »
I have the exact same model in my Mustang and that is not a traffic adapter cable. This thing gets its traffic info from the Satellites. However traffic info on this thing doesn't come through as much as I'd like it to living in the bay area.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:12:47 AM »
According to the box, I have one super duper Lifetime Traffic receiver/vehicle power cable so I'm summing that should be it.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:14:19 AM »
Interesting.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »
My 1490 is an LMT so I think the T means traffic....just a guess mind you.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »
It means Lifetime Map and Traffic
I have the same unit and didn't use any said traffic cable.
Maybe that's why traffic doesn't show up often.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
Interesting.  Going to the website it lists the traffic cable as coming with the unit.  Mine did.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:15:50 AM »
Interesting.  Going to the website it lists the traffic cable as coming with the unit.  Mine did.

I'll check, maybe it will improve how often traffic updates some up.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »

Thanks for adding that link.  Now for a silly question.....what's a junction view?
You are running down the interstate and need to take a particular exit, maybe there are two or three exits right there together.  The junction view has a picture that pops up on the screen and shows you which lane you need to be in to make that exit.  Most of the time I already know, but it is a cool feature anyway.  It pops up about 1/2 mile from the exit and stays on for a few seconds.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
AKA lane assistant
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »
Ahhh.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:39:54 AM »
Here's a great site for everything Zumo.

http://www.zumoforums.com/

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 06:58:39 AM »
I believe "traffic" comes to the unit as an FM signal on the power cable (the fat section on it).  I don't think it is from a satilite signal - it's just a localized thing.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Khrome

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
Trying to decide.... I bought the 1350LMT and took it back tonight, the smaller screen made the response of the touch screen not so good... Thinking about getting the 1490LMT ... I bought my wife the 1450 last year...
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
Mine seems to be working ok so far.

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »
Glad I tripped on this thread, Jim. I'm a C-10-er and don't usually visit this corner of the forum.

A couple of questions as I've never owned a GPS ...

1. When I tried the online map 'test' on the Garmin site, it seemed that the smaller 2-lane paved roads called "farm-to-market" roads in TX were only visible if zoomed in close to show a small area of coverage (less than 10 miles across the screen).  These are many of our best twisty riding roads.  When I tried to zoom out to see the possible routes between several towns, those roads disappeared.  I can understand 'clutter control' but that really limits the GPS' utility for picking routes while on the road.  Is that how they work in reality or or is ther an option to keep the lines for small roads visible when you zoom out to cover a larger area?

2.  About those long-time update downloads ... any idea of the size of those files in gigs?  I live in a rural area where no land-line broadband is available, so my high-speed is via aircard with limited total bandwidth per month (no streaming movies for me).  Would it be practical to get those through a public computer like at a library?
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »
I can't answer question 1 as I haven't had that much experience with mine yet.  As far as 2 goes.  The download took a bit with my cable connection.  Also took a bit to go into the GPS from the computer as it's a USB connection.  I want to say all told it was about an hour.  I did not save the maps on my PC.  I'll do that next time, though.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »
The download of maps and software update(garmin 1450) took me 4.5 freaking hours the other day. Welcome to the new Frontier (formally Verizon).