Author Topic: Trip to Alaska but I would like to avoid Canada  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Trip to Alaska but I would like to avoid Canada
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip Jeremy!  :chugbeer:

Maybe a dumb question but can I ask why you want to pack the pistol with ya?  :-\

Why?  Because the second amendment says a I can, that's why.  I paid my money for the permit and I have extensive training with handguns, I trust myself more than nearly any other law enforcement so I don't have to be dependent on someone else to take action if the need arises. 

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip Jeremy!  :chugbeer:

Maybe a dumb question but can I ask why you want to pack the pistol with ya?  :-\

Why?  Because the second amendment says a I can, that's why.  I paid my money for the permit and I have extensive training with handguns, I trust myself more than nearly any other law enforcement so I don't have to be dependent on someone else to take action if the need arises. 

Maybe because the MP5 doesn't pack on the bike well. ;)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »
Get yourself some Bear Bangers. Legal and fun!

http://www.macecanada.com/canada/wilderness1/cartridges/bearbangers15.htm

Having traveled where you intend, the whole handgun thing is way over"kill".  Get the Bangers, though, especially if camping. Do not eat where ya sleep. We had no critter issues camping out, just DO NOT EAT WHERE YA SLEEP.

BTW, had the Milepost, never opened it on the whole trip. Just ask locals for info. See gas, buy it. Do the Cassier. Get Hyderized.  Do not camp out in Hyder at Camp Run-a-muck during the salmon run, get a room at the Sealaska Inn. Lotsa bears.

You will learn a whole new perspective on how far things are away. We were in Hyder, figured we would head up to Skagway. WTH, it's only 6-700 miles.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Bert

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
Good advice in this post.

Visit Amazon and buy a book called the Milepost. It will give you a mile by mile description of the roads to Alaska. Going by Ferry is the easy way out. Do you really want to sit on a slow moving boat for a few days with nothing to do and pay outrageous prices for **** poor food? I have lived in Alaska since 1976 and the ferry would be my last choice. Did it once, never again.

It's your choice of course, but I think you are making to much out of carrying a weapon into Canada. I drove to Alaska and back from the lesser 48 states at least a dozen times and once on a bike and only experienced warm friendly Canadians. Always wanted to talk to me about my journeys and eager to share road information. Carry a big knife if it feels better.

As far as shipping a handgun to yourself in Alaska that's a big Federal NO NO. Only FFL dealers can mail handguns via USPS and if you mail from a dealer to a dealer you will have to be an Alaskan resident to have it transferred to you. FedEx and UPS only ship handguns via overnight mail at a cost of $75-95 each way. But even then not sure of the laws concerning it.

I am not anti gun by any means as I own many and carry them often. The entire highway to Alaska is paved and easy to drive. If thousands of 30-40 foot RV's can drive it every year doing it on a bike is a piece of cake. Only bad sections are where construction is going on or the last 100 miles before you reenter Alaska.

The most scenic drive is to travel through British Columbia up to the Alaska Highway. The terrain changes from mild to wild from forests to high desert. Lots of curves and long sweepers, especially through the area where they filmed the first Rambo movie.

Enjoy the ride, take breaks often, and don't plan on more than 400 miles a day otherwise you will get burnt out. Relax and enjoy the journey:)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »

:chugbeer:

Indeed it is your right, have fun and be safe!

As long as I have my phone with me to get on ebay and my forums I'm good, so I see where you're coming from, if they said I couldn't bring my phone into Canada I'd get a gun....  ;) ;D

Offline Bert

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »

But not in Canada.

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »

Plus if he comes across them slower black bikes he may need to put it out of its misery, so that it doesn't suffer at the paws of bears.  :stirpot:

Like many others have stated, people are generally friendly. But if the firearms people allow you to bring it, by all means bring it. Like you said it is your choice.

Enjoy your time with your dad and the scenery that you will view.  :) :chugbeer:
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 05:29:43 AM »
Just ship it from FFL to FFL.  It puts you on the books but it's legal.

The FFLs may charge you a fee.

The fee will not equal $1500 though.

The Toronto police damn near raped a dude for having a pistol made out of Legos.  Don't do it.  No pistols in Canada except for LE and Russian Mafia.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline TJ

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
Just ship it from FFL to FFL.  It puts you on the books but it's legal.

The FFLs may charge you a fee.

The fee will not equal $1500 though.

The Toronto police damn near raped a dude for having a pistol made out of Legos.  Don't do it.  No pistols in Canada except for LE and Russian Mafia.

Can't take possesion of a handgun in Alaska if you are not a resident of the state. Most, if not all states have the same rule. Only exception is if you are active duty and can prove you are stationed in the state via military orders.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 11:22:21 AM »
Can't take possesion of a handgun in Alaska if you are not a resident of the state. Most, if not all states have the same rule. Only exception is if you are active duty and can prove you are stationed in the state via military orders.

Good info.  I might just leave the pistol at home. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »
Take some Raid wasp/hornet spray instead. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »

Bummer.  Until someone flushes sec. 922 down the toilet where it belongs I'm going to be taking the ferry to AK.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:35 AM »
I've been to Alaska a number of times, driving/riding 'naked' in every case. Never broke into a sweat, never even though about it actually.

I suspect I'd have had a far greater chance of a run in with someone texting while driving, than any situation that demanded "personal protection".

Mail your firearm to yourself in AK, last I checked that was totally legal. Or leave it with a pal somewhere near the border and don't tell no one!

Enjoy your ride in the Canadian interior, and into Alaska, nothing like it in the world. At least by bike from the lower 48 anyway ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 05:22:05 PM »
ther's some great info in this thread. Enjoy your ride Jeremy. I'm hoping to do a ride from Texas to Alaska in 2015.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit