Author Topic: Trip report: KLR to California or bust  (Read 31772 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: Trip report: KLR to California or bust
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
Thanks! The Klr is doing better than I ever expected, especially at eating road miles. With the air hawk R on the seat I can go forever on it, even want to go far like today for no radon. The stock suspension shucks in the twisties, and when loaded off road I bottom out when torturing it. But other than suspension is baffling me how much fun this bike is.

I also noticed it doesn't do well hit baking and trail breaking the front into turns in the mountains. But in all fairness to the beater klr, I have a T63 knobby on the front. So it's either the tire, then front brake system, or both.

Again overall I'm amazed with the bike. I had a back up plan to ship it home and fly if it was bad. But no way I'm riding it back. Wish I had time to ride it to the North Pole and back first =)

My former '08 KLR has the Cogent Moab rear shock and Racetech front springs and gold valve emulators.  Handled real well.  I just didn't like riding it at speeds faster than 65 and it's sweet spot was 55.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
The thing I like most about my KLR is that the bike always puts a smile on my face.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:26 AM »
Twowheel, I'm 4000 miles into this trip. If I had to ride my Connie as slow as you mention i'd still be trying to get out of Fl! Seriously though, on these nob tires I'm comfortable at 78-80, I don't care about a few inches drift. My problem is when I hold it at 75 between the wide bags, windscreen, and load it only gets 40 mpg. I found at 68-70 it gets 46, and at 60 it gets 50 mpg.  I hold it at 70.

SteveJ, right on! Not once have I missed my C14, and I had planned on selling this when I get back but it's one of the most fun bikes I've ever had! With the big screen, highway pegs, and dry sack as a back rest 600-700 mile days are like nothing.

Today

So I'm out in the middle of nowhere, haven't seen a human in forever. Taking a break, a train stops. Weird, we wave and I leave

I eat

Find some serious curves

And even better sweepers

Oatman, AZ, gold mining town is OK to this day for your donkeys to be on the streets

I ride in some creek beds. All I will say is after these pics a creek bed humbled me. Bike and I are fine

400 mile day, sun setting, time to roll back to Vegas for the night. Next I'm California bound!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 06:54:59 AM »
Nice, nice, nice!!!!!

All I got to say is stay off an F800GS.  I was just like you happy as a clam on my '05 KLR, short of the suspension she was everything I wanted.  And a day after I lost my brand spanking new Montana 650T on a gravel road headed up Mt Hood I found myself on an F800GS looking (and a new found lust).  This border crossing/ADV stuff/Dual Sport riding is awesome and the KLR is bait ;D ;D ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »
So I'm out in the middle of nowhere, haven't seen a human in forever.

+1 For me that's where the adventure begins. Camp from one of my solo rides at 10,500' elevation and the nearest other human is miles away.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 05:25:01 PM »
Twowheel, I'm 4000 miles into this trip. If I had to ride my Connie as slow as you mention i'd still be trying to get out of Fl! Seriously though, on these nob tires I'm comfortable at 78-80, I don't care about a few inches drift. My problem is when I hold it at 75 between the wide bags, windscreen, and load it only gets 40 mpg. I found at 68-70 it gets 46, and at 60 it gets 50 mpg.  I hold it at 70.

My limiting of speed was based on engine noise.  Just felt like I was working the thumper too hard at speeds above 65 mph.  Funny thing is that I am fine with the KLX250 at 65 and it is pushing 7000 rpms.  Just doesn't feel like it is working as hard as the KLR did. 

Glad you are enjoying your trip.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2013, 06:52:06 PM »
Funny thing is that I am fine with the KLX250 at 65 and it is pushing 7000 rpms.  Just doesn't feel like it is working as hard as the KLR did. 

Glad you are enjoying your trip.

I would have to agree with that. I've ridden my D-I-Ls KLX250 quite a bit and it does seem to seem like it's working less. Kinda need all it's got for the twisties, though. I've wrung it pretty hard on 33 north of Ojai and down in the Santa Monicas.
America's Seaplane City
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2013, 09:57:37 PM »
Trip of a lifetime.....amazing stuff man!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »
Looks like you are having a blast.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
Thanks guys

Sorry been in the middle of death valley where no Wi-Fi or cell service to update. Thanks for all the phone calls and messages checking on me.

I was informed to visit tourist areas on way. I didn't see much once we hit the extreme stuff, so these are day before.

Then finally got to Death Valley and Badwater is a tough dry place

Heres the thing, I couldn't get good pics of the extreme parts of the rides because I.  W just trying to get through the silt sands, waters crossings followed by rocks on wet tires going up, roads that are huge rock beds, etc.  Many found it amazing I tried this place first time out dirt riding. A lot of folks let me know they appreciated I rode over 3000 miles to the meet spot. I was riding with the most wonderful, helpful, patient people and it's a life event I won't ever forget. Some of these pics are theirs.

Again I wish I had pics of the extreme but I was trying to survive as a noob

I mentioned at one point i felt i was riding past my limits and was told with a smile "most all of us are riding past our limits".Some trails had thousands of feet of cliff  drop off, such as her to the list and straight off that turn. When I asked for a tip there I got great advice, don't go over the edges. This place was an adrenaline rush like I can't describe, and when I took the pic I was told we aren't at the good places yet for pics.

I wiped out on the rocks and we used one of the rocks to hold my bike up and they put my chain back on

Chris fixed a flat in the desert tundra faster than I see tires changed in shops

My new sidi boots saved me so many times, along with the KLIM ADV gear Drew sold me.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »
Looks like quite the adventure! Thanks for posting the pics.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
Looks like quite the adventure! Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks!

Got back to Vegas yesterday to have Jason's shop put a tire on. The rocks and a few miles ate up that continental t80 quick.

Lost my wallet near the shop so stayed an extra day waiting for an amex card overnighted. Canceled all my cards, chase bank allowed me to withdraw cash, riding buddy I bumped into at shop Matt took me to police to do a lost license report to continue the trip on. Big fun and wasn't a hassle, very little cash lost!

Here is how awesome the riders are out west, I saw this on my  thread over on adv

Quote from: FZcruzer;22611185
Steve,
  Your enthusiasm and great attitude made the weekend at Gold Point.  Hope the rest of your trip goes great.

Rob,

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
Thanks!

Got back to Vegas yesterday to have Jason's shop put a tire on. The rocks and a few miles ate up that continental t80 quick.

Lost my wallet near the shop so stayed an extra day waiting for an amex card overnighted. Canceled all my cards, chase bank allowed me to withdraw cash, riding buddy I bumped into at shop Matt took me to police to do a lost license report to continue the trip on. Big fun and wasn't a hassle, very little cash lost!

Here is how awesome the riders are out west, I saw this on my  thread over on adv

See? Now you're gonna get a swelled head and think yer sumthin special, huh? ;)

You are great folks to hang with, I'll grant you that.

See ya at the Citrus County Cruise 7.
America's Seaplane City

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
Epic ride Steve!  :finger_fing11:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
So, I am looking at doing either the Utah or AZ BDR next year, maybe even the newest, not released Idaho BDR.    If things are smiling I will also do the COBDR again, it is that good.  WABDR is a no brainer.  Check em out and if the stars align we can do em together.  I also bet you have a more modern DS/ADV bike by then, KLR can, has, and will continue to git er done, but the same can be said for a TW.

Awesome RR BTW!!!!!!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
Steve J I have to be humbled, they helped pick my bike up after crashes, field repaired it, etc no big head here I promise

Zg thanks

Silverdammit hope plants align and I can join you all for some of that!

I rode yesterday and into the night to Phoenix  camped at Marriott, rode deep into the desert this morning.

Then got back to town, stopped and chatted at the office and hung out at an apartment complex i used to live at. Sat by the old pool in full KLIM gear questioning my sanity for leaving over a "career move" but it's all good too in FL!

Dinner with friends tonight in Phoenix

Two days to make it from here in Phoenix to the Roll the Bones Rally in the middle of TX! 

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
Did I miss the picture of the Pacific Ocean? I thought you were going coast to coast. Or was that just me interjecting my next year's ride into your thread?  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2013, 10:38:10 AM »
Wow!

Awesome report Steve and great pics!    :hail:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
Wow!

Awesome report Steve and great pics!    :hail:
+1
America's Seaplane City