Author Topic: Interesting ride today in VA  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Interesting ride today in VA
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »
Rotator cuffs and neck surgeries, you guys are scaring me.  The recovery time on those is extended. Be certain there is no alternative. I've had the shot in the rotator cuff and felt much better, after 2 years it feels great!

Yeah I hear ya about the cortisone shots, but the tear/tears are still there. I doubt anything other than surgery is going to help me, and I would rather have the darn thing fixed and get it over with, than putting a band-aid on it and possibly taking the risk of further damage. Most repairs these days done by very reputable surgeons, are typically arthroscopic and out patient surgery.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »
Nice trip report Jim.  Thanks for sharing.

In terms of shoulder surgery, yes it's best to get it fixed, but know that it is by far the worst surgical recovery my wife has ever experienced, including 5 back surgeries that started back in the 80s when the really opened you up.   She said she'd rather do 5 more backs sugeries than one shoulder.   That seems to be the general consensus.   If you have an off season for riding, get it done then so you have time to recover and rehab the shoulder.   You'll need it.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you need to know what you're in for.
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »
Nice trip report Jim.  Thanks for sharing.

In terms of shoulder surgery, yes it's best to get it fixed, but know that it is by far the worst surgical recovery my wife has ever experienced, including 5 back surgeries that started back in the 80s when the really opened you up.   She said she'd rather do 5 more backs sugeries than one shoulder.   That seems to be the general consensus.   If you have an off season for riding, get it done then so you have time to recover and rehab the shoulder.   You'll need it.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you need to know what you're in for.

Yeah I heard that unfortunately.......but I have gone through 3 knee surgeries, so am somewhat used to working my ass off to get back. This will for sure be a cold weather rehab if it happens, but I like to ride all year. :(  Hopefully the anesthetic agent will put me down without too much trouble, my body is very accustomed to being around it every day. :o

Well I think I have ruined Jim's thread quite enough, sorry about taking this off topic so much. I will be looking forward to ride reports from folks more than usual soon I have a feeling, so keep em coming.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Spanky

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »
Good luck with the surgery Pokey, my buddy just had that done this week. Started as just a knicked tendon showing in the MRI, then turned into major damage once they opened his shoulder up. He has metal pins in the shoulder now, and several months of rehab to go through. The moral to the story is don't let it go too long, or you may make the condition much worse. He will be off work for six months and already getting bored  :(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »
Oh, don't worry about him..he's doing fine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Oh, don't worry about him..he's doing fine.

Physically doing better, but mentally............well ya know.  ;D
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
Yep, you're definitely mental.. :nuts:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »
As of Friday, add a big ass bloodclot in my arm.....this sucks!!!!  :banghead:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"