Author Topic: a little "shake, rattle, & Roll" today  (Read 1035 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
a little "shake, rattle, & Roll" today
« on: June 10, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
had a 4.2 quake today, here in Ohio... about 6 miles from my home... I definitely knew what it was... lasted maybe 6 seconds, never felt the aftershocks tho...

https://www.wnem.com/ohio-earthquake/video_e6257909-e294-516e-8ff0-7ab52adfc670.html

kinda cool... freaks people out...
last one I can remember here was the day the Challenger Space Shuttle blew up, that quakes was less than 5 miles from my house... and was a good'n.... I was 160 miles away, up in a tree stand bowhunting... and felt it that far away...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0IfQBprdxo

Then we had one back in IIRC '11, in Va., and it slammed hard, about 20 miles from my home..., I felt it at work, 40 miles away from the center.. and it rocked for almost 15 seconds...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: a little "shake, rattle, & Roll" today
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 05:48:46 PM »
I remember the 2011 one in Virginia. I was down at Southside Regional hospital and it was shaking everything down there pretty good too. I got a kick out of this when it was being posted back then.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:18:53 PM »
I remember the 2011 one in Virginia. I was down at Southside Regional hospital and it was shaking everything down there pretty good too. I got a kick out of this when it was being posted back then.

Wife was at home in Hanover, she said stuff rattled off the bookcase, dog ran for "cover", cats were freaked out and climbed trees... I was at work next to Richmond Airport... it physically rolled my chair and my fat 230# azz away from my desk, and was shaking my monitor.. the ceiling tiles were shaking.... I jumped up outta my chair and asked "did you feel that?".. everyone was kinda...dazed... then i said that had to be at least a 5.0; nobody believed me...   couple months later we moved back to Ohio.. after going thru 4 hurricanes, countless tornadoes, floods, and "odd" blizzards (Va. Blizzard drops 17" of snow... and power lines, and totally makes people "immobile")... Ohio is nice, a little earthquake, and REAL snow, are all we worry about.. tornadoes?... pheeeeew... we deal with that.
We have a basement now... didn't have one in Va.   Momma, dog, and cats, all hiding in a closet was funny to come home to.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »
Yeah, we have quite the variety of weather here, but none is as bad as other parts of the country. The difference is that we get a taste of what everyone gets.

Earthquakes, but people in California would laugh at.

Tornados, but folks in TX and OK would probably refer to them as nice breeze or possibly a dirt devil.

Hurricanes, but by the time they get this far inland they are usually only a cat 1 or tropical storm.

Snow... don’t even get me started! Let’s just say they close schools when snow is forecasted... even if we never see a single flake. You can imagine how they act when they get what would be a normal snow fall in most parts of the country!

I can deal with the weather here. We see everything, but nothing is to severe.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 05:45:48 AM »
Here, 100 miles further away, we felt it too.  It was minor, but the strangest feeling- almost like being sea-sick.  It is a phenomenon one would never expect in this area and I think 99% of people had never experienced anything like it before (me included).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 09:50:26 PM »
You felt the last quake we had here in Va.? awesome... glad we could make your day...

the glasses of water on the headboard of my waterbed were rattling.. I wan't sleeping.. just ... well... hanging out waiting for a reason to get outta bed...

wife Dona was sitting in a rocking chair, in our 4 season room, on a concrete slab... and looked at me like I had a third eye when I said "didja feel that quake 30 seconds ago?".. oblivious, and priceless... but she felt all the others I mentioned...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 05:32:43 AM »
You felt the last quake we had here in Va.? awesome... glad we could make your day...

I was in a meeting in a training room with several other people.  Suddenly I felt dizzy/sick but didn't know why.  I looked over and saw the blinds on the window moving slowly back and forth.  When I stood the feeling of sway was more intense.  Just several seconds and it was over.  That was it!  It was very much like being on a large boat that was swaying slightly, slowly.  Never felt the predicted aftershocks.  We were far away from the event (I had no idea you could feel a minor quake from hundreds of miles away) they were probably just too weak.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc