Author Topic: Aircraft we like..  (Read 243779 times)

Offline Charlie747

Re: Aircraft we like..
« Reply #260 on: April 15, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »
Go Congress!

Defense News.com: A-10 Proponents Seek Budget Offset to Keep Attack Planes Funded, Flying

Now that just makes common sense.................................unlike our lot of (please insert verb as ness)

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »
No matter what the official RAF stance is.....it did come in a bit low.  I think the pilot miscalculated or someone wanted the spectators scattered.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
Love it! That's why the people are there, to see that kind of thing. As a kid in NJ, I used to lay down at the end of a small grass strip and watch the planes take off or land right over me. One guy had a T6 that could barely get in and out of that strip and the sight and sound of that going right over me was awesome. But I was dumb kid. 50 some years later I guess I'm still a dumb kid.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2014, 05:00:34 AM »
My dad used to take us down to the end of one of the active runways at Westover AFB (99th BW) and watch/listen to the B-52s land...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
I've always been rather impressed with some aspects of the B-52.  The ability to crab the landing gear being one of them.  The footage of B-52's landing in crosswinds is always a treat to watch.  Other aircraft can land at 'angles' too, but it isn't the same once the wheels kiss the pavement.

Also, while I'm sure they could have went with 4 engines, they decided on 8.  There was talk fairly recently of swapping out/refitting the 8 engines with 4 larger, more powerful/efficient ones, but it never really went anywhere (not cost effective enough or some such). 

There has been talk of extending the B-52 service life into the 2040's!

Several test aircraft have been carried into the sky in the bellies of B-52s.

Finally, the B-52H's are the only ones still in service, and they were built in 1960-62.  All of the earlier models are now retired apparently, so that makes the current B-52 fleet about 52-54 years old currently.  The last B-52(H) was completed on October 26th, 1962.  So the entire B-52 fleet is older than I am...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »
Bad news for Westover AFB

http://www.necn.com/04/28/14/Westover-Air-Force-Base-cutting-300-jobs/landing.html?blockID=865697&feedID=11106

CHICOPEE, Mass. (AP) - Westover Air Reserve Base will lose half its C-5 cargo planes and more than 300 jobs as a result of military budget cuts, base officials announced Monday.

Eight of the 439th Airlift Wing's 16 military transport aircraft will move to Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas beginning next year, they said.

Air Force officials blamed Pentagon budget cuts for the changes.

The job cuts include the expected loss of 59 full-time enlisted personnel and 275 reservists, although final numbers have yet to be determined, said Brig. Gen. Steven Vautrain, commander of the 439th at Westover.

The aircraft will be moved from Westover starting in March 2015 as part of an upgrade of the C-5 fleet, with the personnel reductions beginning in October 2015, Vautrain said.

Eight of the refurbished aircraft will operate out of the Texas base, and eight new models will remain at Westover.

Vautrain said the changes would not be the end of the air wing or the base.

"We'll remain strong. It's a wonderful base, we have great support from the community and we plan on being here for the long haul," he added.

The job cuts will result in hardship for members of the base, but efforts will be made to place full-time employees into other positions, Vautrain said. Finding positions within the base for reservists will be more challenging, he said, but some may choose to retire and others could find positions at other bases, including Bradley Air National Guard Base in Connecticut and the Otis Air National Guard base on Cape Cod.

The cuts are part of an effort to slash $487 billion from the nation's defense budget over eight years. The winding down of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and automatic federal budget cuts hastened the changes at Westover, Vautrain said.

In a statement, U.S. Sen. Edward Markey said he was "troubled" by Monday's announcement and planned to work with Gov. Deval Patrick and other members of the state's congressional delegation to see if the decision can be changed.

"Westover is a critical asset for western Massachusetts and the local Chicopee economy," Markey said.

The C-5 fleet will be upgraded with new engines during the changeover, base officials said. The C-5 can carry a payload of up to 270,000 pounds a distance of up to 6,000 miles, according to the base's website.

The aircraft has been critical in recent U.S. military operations, flying nearly 75,000 hours and transporting more than 200,000 tons of cargo between Sept. 11, 2001, and Dec. 31, 2012.

Westover is located on 2,511 acres, making it the nation's largest reserve base by land mass.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
 :'(   I have a personal interest in this base...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #269 on: May 01, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #270 on: May 03, 2014, 07:36:37 AM »

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #271 on: May 06, 2014, 05:22:23 AM »
Went for an afternoon bimble yesterday as we had a bank holiday over in England

Allow me to introduce my wife Cheryl  / cake and coffee / Just Jane

Only had phone so poor pic and sound :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-79VWD0ohU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZgFBdz7zkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca9uANgDrLI

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »
Beautiful Lancaster. One of only two left flying I believe.

Went for an afternoon bimble yesterday as we had a bank holiday over in England

Allow me to introduce my wife Cheryl  / cake and coffee / Just Jane

Only had phone so poor pic and sound :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-79VWD0ohU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZgFBdz7zkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca9uANgDrLI

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #273 on: May 07, 2014, 12:14:45 AM »
Beautiful Lancaster. One of only two left flying I believe.

You are correct when you say only 2 flying in the world..............one is in Canada and will be joining the RAF one this summer so we should see a 2 ship formation flying.  This one  is privately owned and is based approx. 10 miles up the road from the RAF one........It does not fly........but could fly very soon,

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/?page=1

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:08:49 PM by Charlie747 »

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #274 on: May 07, 2014, 06:34:58 AM »
I've been browsing this site for past couple of weeks.  Seems to be mostly aircraft stories, so I figured you guys might find it interesting.

http://ww2today.com/
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #275 on: May 07, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
I've been browsing this site for past couple of weeks.  Seems to be mostly aircraft stories, so I figured you guys might find it interesting.

http://ww2today.com/

Thanks that's good reading  :)

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #276 on: May 07, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
How to get it wrong..............Big Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV1eUeo27tc

Offline Charlie747

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #278 on: May 08, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »
I wonder if the pogo stick ever made a flight transitioning to horizontal and back to vertical.

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #279 on: May 08, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
There is one in Alberta that is in run-up condition now. It is in a museum. I don't think they plan on flying it.

My wife's uncle was shot down in a lanc during WWII and is buried in a French church yard with 4 of his crew. Two survived. They are the only servicemen buried there, and he is the only canadian. The family has never been there. Maybe one day.....

You are correct when you say only 2 flying in the world..............one is in Canada and will be joining the RAF one this summer so we should see a 2 ship formation flying.  This one  is privately owned and is based approx. 10 miles up the road from the RAF one........It does not fly........but could fly very soon,

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/?page=1