Author Topic: Replaced Battery: Thanks for a good 8 years  (Read 4949 times)

Offline PH14

Replaced Battery: Thanks for a good 8 years
« on: September 23, 2018, 11:47:08 AM »
Well, I finally replaced my original battery in my 2009 C14.  I bought it new in 2010. I had no problems with the battery, but decided to replace it Friday. The bike always started, and always cranked well. I picked up a battery from Interstate and installed it yesterday, after charging it. No wonderful change to report, as it cranks the same as the old one, since I had yet to have issues with it. Hopefully it will last as long as my original battery.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Replaced Battery: Thanks for a good 8 years
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
I wish batteries in my vehicles lasted that long :)
Perhaps my current one will, since I started using a Battery Tender Jr. on it whenever it is not being used.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:49:40 PM »
Well, I finally replaced my original battery in my 2009 C14.  I bought it new in 2010. I had no problems with the battery, but decided to replace it Friday. The bike always started, and always cranked well. I picked up a battery from Interstate and installed it yesterday, after charging it. No wonderful change to report, as it cranks the same as the old one, since I had yet to have issues with it. Hopefully it will last as long as my original battery.

:thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
Perhaps my current one will, since I started using a Battery Tender Jr. on it whenever it is not being used.

After my RC51 battery in a rather short period of time, and considering that battery was $160 back in 2008, I bought a Battery Tender Jr., and started using it. My bikes do sit while I travel for work, and sometimes I may be away for a few weeks at a time. I used it religiously on the C14, although for six months in 2015, and another six months in 2016, I took it with me since I was away for six months, and it sat outside the entire six months, both times, with no battery tender. I had no thoughts of the battery lasting this long, but I am happy it did. I do mainly long rides, so it gets charged well when I do ride it.

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »
I attribute the longevity of the battery, on the fact I don't wash the bike often. I washed it for the first time in around three years today, since with the new battery, I figured it could take it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 09:02:11 PM »
I attribute the longevity of the battery, on the fact I don't wash the bike often.

Then I am doomed...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »

OMG, I absolutely ruined it by posting the above.

COLD today.  Drove to RIC, spent day there, it sat for 9 hours and was an average of 35F outside.  Went to start bike to go home at 8pm and 32F and it sounded weak and almost didn't start.  YUASA YTX14-BS, $60, installed 04-18-2014 and never sits overnight without being on the intelligent trickle charger when parked.

Now I get to be nervous about it not being reliable in the cold, or just buy another.  4.5 years doesn't seem long, especially when THIS one has NEVER been allowed to get low/discharged.  My original only lasted 3 years, but it was never on a trickle charger and had been allowed to die (discharge completely), by accident, at least twice, maybe three times.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 05:55:28 AM »
I attribute the longevity of the battery, on the fact I don't wash the bike often. I washed it for the first time in around three years today, since with the new battery, I figured it could take it.

Do you take the key out of the switch?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 06:38:45 AM »

Do you take the key out of the switch?

Regularly?  No.  Sometimes to fill gas (maybe half the time)?  Yes.  For bags?  Rarely, I use a flat key.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
That was directed to PH14...  I've always attributed my longevity in batteries (replaced mine at 5 years and the current one is still going (knock on wood)) to rarely washing the bike and not taking  the key out of the switch.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »
That was directed to PH14...  I've always attributed my longevity in batteries (replaced mine at 5 years and the current one is still going (knock on wood)) to rarely washing the bike and not taking  the key out of the switch.

Oh, OK.  I was trying to figure out your angle but couldn't quite; his post was a month ago.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
In before MoB!  Did you check your grounds for corrosion?     :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
In before MoB!  Did you check your grounds for corrosion?     :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :thumbs:

nice try... but Phil has the winner on this one...... :rotflmao: :goodpost: :hail:

you would have had to read the Concourier article I wrote about "most asked questions/FAQ's I have had to answer...."

where the final one was "my bike was running perfectly, and then I washed it... and now it won't start... what's wrong with it...?????"

to which I ASK the question...."uh, what color is it?"....

old COG humor, still make Larry Buck snork his drink outta his nose... :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 02:55:23 PM »
I actually had that happen to me...washed it and then it wouldn't start.....from then on....

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 03:26:34 PM »
Washed mine several times with no issues. I always use the blowdryer on it to make sure all the water is off it before starting.

If washing it causes starting issues, shouldn’t riding in the rain do the same thing?!?!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 08:37:26 PM »

And, was grease applied to the electrical connections before assembly or after?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 05:59:17 AM »
In before MoB!  Did you check your grounds for corrosion?

I know this is meant to be ironic/funny (from another thread), but it is valid....

I have not checked the connections yet, although I suspect the symptoms don't match.  It is possible, however, that poor connections can mimic a worn-out battery.   In this case, it happened only once, only after sitting for 9 hours off-trickle, and when it was cold, and the battery is fairly old.  But it didn't happen that morning when I started and took it right off the trickle charger, even though it sat for several days and for much longer in nearly the same cold.  So not enough data yet. 

And, was grease applied to the electrical connections before assembly or after?

I have never used dielectric grease before, ever, on anything.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
If you use bielectric grease will it work either way?

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »

I take the key out of the switch all the time. I generally use it when I fill up with gas. I believe the small charge created by removing, then reinserting the key keeps the battery charged.  :finger_fing11: