Author Topic: PC5 Programming - A Primer  (Read 10643 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: PC5 Programming - A Primer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
Excellent!   :goodpost:    But I must warn you that my brane limit for storing facts is nearly met which means I may lose something shortly.

As long as it doesn't have to do with a birthday, anniversary, or where you stashed your Tanqueray you will probably be ok.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
I am starting with the basics so it might be a little slow at first.

Closed-loop DFI-  Essentially the same as our open-loop with the addition of an extra sensor. This sensor is located in the exhaust stream close to the exhaust valves and is energized with small system voltage. This sensor is made of a reactive alloy (palladium and other materials) that cause a change in resistance when in the presence of O2, NOx and other normal exhaust constituents. You'll have to investigate the workings of the Lambda or Oxygen sensor to get better data than I can give here. The importance to the system of the O2 sensor is that it reports back to the ECU on the ACTUAL results that have occurred when the ECU has applied a command to change the AFR (air-fuel ratio) to some new setting.The O2 sensor does not in and of itself make any changes to the fuel mixture, it only informs the ECU of the results of the current AFR. In other words the ECU is no longer blind as it gets info back as to how successful the trims it made correspond to what the internal look-up table says should be correct.

This feedback allows further fine-tuning or trimming to the intake charge making it more closely adhere to the target table (look-up) that has been built by the programmer.

So far, so good. BUT.. the problem is WHAT values have been entered into the look-up, AFR target table. Are these values chosen to produce fewer pollutants? Better drivability? More horsepower etc...? Can this target table accommodate the addition of a different exhaust pipe? Air filter? Almost always the answer is NO, due to the over-riding need to pass emissions tests. The "envelope" of all possible air fuel ratios does not allow the ECU to include the most correct trimming to an engine that has been modified from it's intended configuration.

Clearly closed-loop digital fuel injection is more accurate than any other technology available to us. It has allowed engine configurations, efficiencies and flexibilities that were not previously available to us. I would go so far as to say that it has been the most important technology to come along in many decades.

Fretka
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:07:41 PM by Fretka »
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
I am starting with the basics so it might be a little slow at first.
Basics are good. Thank you. This is good stuff. Will there be a tie-in with an aftermarket ignition module in the advanced class?

Offline Fretka

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 04:49:27 PM »
I'd like to get some of the basics out of the way first so that we can all know the terminology and how these systems interact with the sensors. As soon as we get this stuff out of the way we can get to the relevance of this stuff to each person and their unique situation. We can also compare the different products and services available to us. If someone has a question for a particular person, please mention that in your post.

Those who want to make changes to their FI should have any programs loaded in their 'puters ie. dynojet master panel for whatever product (PC5, wideband, Microtech, etc.) and first save the current map and then we can play with it without loosing any old maps or info.

Anything that I suggest can be reversed and can always be reset to your factory or existing maps. No need to be concerned with getting anything wrong, reverting to your original settings takes about 1 minute!

It is most probable that most of you don't need to change anything but in many cases we can change throttle response for the better, cold-start or just trim the map slightly to accommodate a pipe/filter change.

This PC5 DynoJet map program is very easy to use. We won't be using any tools either. If you do not have your PC software loaded go here...

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCV

and download the power commander 5 software. Bookmark this page as it has other goodies we can use.

Fretka
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:32:41 PM by Fretka »

Offline Fretka

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
So far we have talked about open-loop and closed-loop FI.
Both use a read only, non-programmable base map or look-up table designed by mother Kawasaki to give us the best possible compromise in ride-ability.
But what we also need to keep in mind is that this map is not designed to be alterable, hence we are stuck with what we got.

This is where we introduce some method of changing this base map in a way that makes our individual bike run better.
Current, widely used methods of tailoring the base map are:

1. Physical removal and opening the ECU to modify the map by discarding the factory map and re-writing it with our own data, (Re-flashing).
Examples would be Guhl, Dynotronics and probably others unknown to me.

2. Aftermarket modules that alter the ECU output signal by modifying it in a way we choose.
Examples would be DynoJet, Techlusion and again, many others.

3. Replacing the ECU with a factory built racing-only unit.
No examples relevant to our C-14.

Again...these are all the same as they provide a means of accessing the otherwise un-accessible base fuel map.

Fretka

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
Definitly interested in rebuilding the turbo thread!!!  I so want to do this!  This info on the Fuel mapping is good stuff as well...  Keep it up.

One thing I will add is I have an 08 and put the PC5 on it (instead of the PC3) even though it was not listed as compatible it is.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
I'm a little confused though... the PC adds offsets to the base map I understand that.  How does one access and view the base map if they reflash the ECU with no PC?

This is most excellent stuff by the way...  my mouth is watering....

Offline Fretka

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
I'm a little confused though... the PC adds offsets to the base map I understand that.  How does one access and view the base map if they reflash the ECU with no PC?

This is most excellent stuff by the way...  my mouth is watering....

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way for the end user to access the ECU, you are limited to whatever the person that does the re-flash can provide. While I suspect that some or all of the re-flashing that is being done is using PC 5 maps as the basis of their data, I do not know that as a fact.

Which brings us to a crucial point in both procedures, how good or correct is the data that is being programmed into your ECU?

So the method used to change the parameters of the injection system is not the primary concern, it's how good or correct or relevant to your own bike and riding conditions is that data!

Ca-ca in = Ca-ca out
Fretka

Offline Fretka

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 09:17:28 AM »
( This is an attempt to resurrect an old topic and at this point some years have elapsed).

Brian.......and I've forgotten the other pholks who have experience with this subject, It would be great if we could get other's knowledge as well. I'm hardly the last word on this subject and can only give my "take" on this stuff. Lastly, as many may remember I have a declared preference for the Dynojet system as opposed to re-flashing, so keep that in mind.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
My quick take on this      http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,48572.0.html
I gather this is a way to re-flash your ECU yourself.  The vendor unlocks the code and provides a way to enter maps by yourself in the comfort of your own home.

Kind of a "hybrid" between a send-in re-flash and a DynoJet controller. My only ? here is he states that his method is better than an add-on module but does not provide any proof or basis for this statement. I will assume he means that he does not like the extra wiring that is involved with this method. It compares with the re-flash but adds the ability to load differing canned maps without sending off the ECU to the vendor. So with added complexity comes added flexibility and conversely as opposed to the PC5.

Really the whole argument as to which method to modify your ECU comes down to one thing,

Re-Flash by outside vendor:  Quick, easy with no ability to modify parameters (no fine-tuning, uses canned maps)

Woolich (?) method : Learning curve is faster but limited to other maps tailored to someone else's bike, (no fine-tuning, uses canned maps)

(Both of the above methods give you no way to know whether the premade or canned maps are good bad or indifferent concerning your specific needs)

PC5 (type) add-on controller : Requires some limited computer proficiency and a willingness to learn the basics to access the almost unlimited fine-tuning availability if you want to tailor-make a map for your specific needs. Can also be used with premade or "canned maps".

Of course there are further considerations but this is how I see it.

Fretka

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »
Great- go at it! I too share the view that the PC V is the better way to go, especially if coupled with an O2 monitoring system and auto tune module. That said, I can certainly understand the attraction that an ECU re-flash has- no mechanical work to be done at all, and no knowledge at all required to make full use of the re-flash. But, as this is a thread about Power Commanders, no need to get off track on the back- and- forth of that discussion IMO.

And unfortunately I do not even have a PC V but a PC III instead, so I cannot make use of the O2 sensor (which I already have!). But almost all of the function and all of the method of a PC V is used in a PC III so I might chime in with something if I can.

Good thread and it is sure to provide some useful info. for those who have or may procure a Power Commander.

Brian

( This is an attempt to resurrect an old topic and at this point some years have elapsed).

Brian.......and I've forgotten the other pholks who have experience with this subject, It would be great if we could get other's knowledge as well. I'm hardly the last word on this subject and can only give my "take" on this stuff. Lastly, as many may remember I have a declared preference for the Dynojet system as opposed to re-flashing, so keep that in mind.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com