Author Topic: Value of AMA membership  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Value of AMA membership
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
So, I have received the year-end special discount, do-it-now-or-regret-it-forever membership offer from the AMA (the motorcycle people, not the doctors).  For those of you who are or have been members....what's in it for me?  What tangible benefits have you received?  I am a member of various (dis-)organizations, and sometimes the benefits are tenuous, perhaps noting noticeable in the short term, but good for something in the long run, if for nothing else than to be able to be counted in the political-support numbers game.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Value of AMA membership
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »
It's a good question.  I haven't been a member for years and they still contact me about legislative stuff and send links to protest this and that.  So if you are buying it for their lobbying efforts that's a waste of money I think as they do it anyway for non-paying members.  Towing you can get just about anywhere on other plans.  Road racing....hmm I haven't watched US MC racing in years since it got screwed up sometime back.  I watch MotoGP and WSBK.  So all told, it isn't worth it to me.  I mean, they charge members for the museum, you might a get a dollar discount or two.  They provide discounts (dollar or two) to the MC shows....don't go anymore.  Again, it isn't worth it to me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline works4me

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »
Yeah yer right. Since there are so many other
organizations deserving of my support.
You know, the ones that look out for me.

I've been a member for 35 years.
I really don't understand why everyone else isn't.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:31 PM »
I wasn't a member for many years then started realizing some of the things they did that helped me.  Motorcycles allowed in the car pool lanes, I do watch AMA racing, I do go to the bike shows, etc.  They will continue to lobby if they get enough funds.  If everyone said screw it, they'd have to stop.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:39:27 PM »
I'm a  member of the AMA and NRA.

Why I'm a member of a AMA I have no clue, they're losing political battles everywhere they fight.  At least I have my guns  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:05:18 PM »
Thanks for the input, I sent in the application this morning.  Can't hurt, may help.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.