Author Topic: Cut down windscreen  (Read 27036 times)

Offline yoman

Cut down windscreen
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »
Lets see some pics of your bikes with cut down windscreens. I have an old  screen that I want to lop off and looking for ideas.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
Re: Cut down windscreen
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »
Here is a picture of mine with a Targa cut down to a height of 13". I've been running this screen year round for several years now. No buffeting, it just works great.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »
Here is a pic of the Spirit sporting her summer shield

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »
Dang !!! Roadhound and snarf, they both look sexy as hell with the windscreens cut down.  You two don't get wind buffeting? ...at all?
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline yoman

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »
Hey hound, that is one sweet looking Connie. I am waiting for the glass place to call me back aboout tinted Lexan. Now I want it tinted.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »
Seeing your cut screens has made me think about having a punt at this one on E-Bay GB http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GTR1000-Shorty-screen-colour-shown-/130541180395?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e64dc55eb
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
Dang !!! Roadhound and snarf, they both look sexy as hell with the windscreens cut down.  You two don't get wind buffeting? ...at all?
I absolutely love my screen this way.  I have a slightly taller one on my 02.; but this screen takes all the buffeting and gives great air flow right at chest level.
This is my 02, I like the smaller one better, of course you do give up a little weather protection ;D

2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:59:22 AM »
Mine is cut down like Chris. Even has the two holes at the base.

I was shocked when I did mine that I didn't notice any buffeting. Thought I would hate it but was pleasantly suprised.

There is one thing that you will not do after you cut down your shield. You will ride all the time with your visor shut. Not only is there more wind, but the BUGS that the shield deflects,,,, hit you right in the face.....

Ride safe, Ted

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
Mine is cut down like Chris. Even has the two holes at the base.

I was shocked when I did mine that I didn't notice any buffeting. Thought I would hate it but was pleasantly suprised.

There is one thing that you will not do after you cut down your shield. You will ride all the time with your visor shut. Not only is there more wind, but the BUGS that the shield deflects,,,, hit you right in the face.....

Ride safe, Ted
Its true, although for some reason I get less bugs with the shorter shield  :o
2002 Conc

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »
What did you use to cut the stock windscreen?  I do like that tint tho....  ;)

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:24 PM »
If you're willing to sacrifice the stock windshield, first try just cutting off the upper edge with that stupid recurved forward flip.  That's where the turbulence is generated.  I replaced my OEM with a Rifle, which has no recurve and it is smooth as can be.  I then trimmed it down a little at time to get it the right height.  Then I cut off the upper corners a little at an angle and now it's perfect (for me).  I cut mine with my 14" Delt bandsaw, but not everyone has those.  A Demel tool will work, a fine blade in a saber saw or a fine coping saw, etc.  Masking tape on the edges to help control chipping and scratches, cover the rest with thick paper or layers of newspaper, file out the saw marks, finish with 600 wet paper, and/or some good plastic polish, or jewelers rouge to finish the edge.  Sand it with a sanding block, not your fingers.

pic below
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »

No buffeting, the wind off of the big trucks doesn't beat you up, just nice clean air. I've no problems with riding in the rain or the cold with this screen. It makes the bike look much smaller from both sides of the screen. Keep in mind I do run the lower 86 handlebars with no risers, I'm not sure how much difference the higher bars would make.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 07:49:35 AM »
If you're willing to sacrifice the stock windshield, first try just cutting off the upper edge with that stupid recurved forward flip.  That's where the turbulence is generated.  I replaced my OEM with a Rifle, which has no recurve and it is smooth as can be.  I then trimmed it down a little at time to get it the right height.  Then I cut off the upper corners a little at an angle and now it's perfect (for me).  I cut mine with my 14" Delt bandsaw, but not everyone has those.  A Demel tool will work, a fine blade in a saber saw or a fine coping saw, etc.  Masking tape on the edges to help control chipping and scratches, cover the rest with thick paper or layers of newspaper, file out the saw marks, finish with 600 wet paper, and/or some good plastic polish, or jewelers rouge to finish the edge.  Sand it with a sanding block, not your fingers.

pic below
Absolutely +1 first step is to get ride of that flip on the shield.  After I cut the flip off I noticed an immediate improvement.  My next step was to use a 2" hole saw and put in the vents; another improvement.  I rode with the 13" shield for about two years year round, I wanted to get some more air so I cut down an old scratched up shield...LOVE IT.  This weekend I think I am going to pull it off and rattle can it gloss black.
2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:37 AM »
No buffeting, the wind off of the big trucks doesn't beat you up, just nice clean air. I've no problems with riding in the rain or the cold with this screen. It makes the bike look much smaller from both sides of the screen. Keep in mind I do run the lower 86 handlebars with no risers, I'm not sure how much difference the higher bars would make.
My shield on the 02 is 13" with 1.75" risers.  There is no considerable difference between the two bikes.
2002 Conc

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:22 AM »
I just got home from work, powered up the Dremel and went to town.

I'll let you know how it is, I too have risers.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 08:47:09 AM »
Nice job sas.  I think you will notice a big difference. Next step is to put in some vents to alleviate that pesky back pressure
2002 Conc

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:25 PM »
Nice job sas.  I think you will notice a big difference. Next step is to put in some vents to alleviate that pesky back pressure

Thanks snarf,  what size are theo holes?
09 Connie

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 05:28:11 AM »
Thanks snarf,  what size are theo holes?
They are either 1.75 or 2".  I am quite sure I used a 2" hole saw.
Have you had your bike out on the road?  What are your first impressions the shield cut down?
2002 Conc

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »
. Next step is to put in some vents to alleviate that pesky back pressure

I've not cut holes in my screen. I've not noticed any back pressure with the short screen. They may help in some ways but I've never felt the need.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.