Poll

Vote to be part of the KIPASS BYPASS MOD by BDF

Vote to be part of the buy....
100 (87.7%)
Don't press this button.......
14 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF  (Read 191859 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »
Just my opinion here but that does not sound like the activation switch sticking Bob, it sounds like the fork locking mechanism is sticking. This is actually quite common, especially on bikes that the fork lock is not regularly used and gets full of road grime; then on the unusual occasion when you do try to use it, it sticks.

The fork lock is basically a shot- pin that moves down and gets in the way of the lower triple clamp. Take a good light and look under the front fairing on the left side of the frame and you should be able to see the actual locking mechanism. I would suggest cleaning it with some type of spray solvent, being careful not to use one too aggressive and cover all painted parts on the front of the bike before using it. Then after the solvent dries, spray the entire mechanism, from both the top and bottom (as best you can) with a dry lube such as silicone spray. That should help a lot but eventually the mechanism will again get sticky if not used regularly.

That is the other way to deal with the issue: use the fork locks all the time and they should not get clogged with grime in the first place. Unfortunately the way you describe using yours is exactly how most of us use ours- only very occasionally. I do not think I have ever actually used mine but then again, I figure if someone wants to push my C-14 any distance, especially up a ramp, and then replace the entire KiPass system to get it started they actually worked hard enough to sort of, kind of, 'earn' it or at least a couple of rides on it 'till they get caught....

Brian

Brian,
After just finishing reading all 16 pages of the thread, I kept reading where several folks asked the question about when (what year) Kaw started putting the stiffer springs in.

Mine is a 2011 model. While mine has never stuck, (yet...) it has scared me every time (3 now) I've tried to set the switch to lock the forks (switch turned far left with forks turned left.)

All 3 times, it did not want to release afterwards! Talk about being stranded! All you could do is turn a very tight circle, making for a very short trip! Lol...

After a lot of effort, it finally released. One time, after it released, the stove knob literally turned all the way around 360 degrees! I thought sure something had broken, but it didn't.

So, needless to say, I don't use the steering lock feature anymore.
Suggestions of what could be wrong? Anyone else experience this?

But, my 2011's Kipass has never stuck. 46,000 miles now.
Don't know if that means by 2011 they went to the stiffer spring, or if I've just been lucky...?
Bob
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2017, 11:23:52 AM »
...I figure if someone wants to push my C-14 any distance, especially up a ramp, and then replace the entire KiPass system to get it started they actually worked hard enough to sort of, kind of, 'earn' it or at least a couple of rides on it 'till they get caught....

Yeah - kind of a built-in theft insurance - hopefully any prospective thieves "know" how difficult/expensive it is to actually make a ECU-crippled, stolen C14 back into a functional running bike...

And a couple minutes on YouTube will show you how easy it is to break most fork locks anyway...  just a few kicks...  though I don't see one posted about the C14

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »
That is because even the thought of stealing a motorcycle protected by the aura of KiPass strikes fear into the most hardened (Easy Boys!) of criminals! To paraphrase Yogi Bera: '90% of KiPass is half mental'.

;D

Brian

Yeah - kind of a built-in theft insurance - hopefully any prospective thieves "know" how difficult/expensive it is to actually make a ECU-crippled, stolen C14 back into a functional running bike...

And a couple minutes on YouTube will show you how easy it is to break most fork locks anyway...  just a few kicks...  though I don't see one posted about the C14

Jamie
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
Fork lock?
This bike has a fork lock?

The shear weight of trying to push this sucker around is a deterrant to theft, let alone when you throw on a haevy anchor chain, wrapped around the rear over the seat and thru the wheel, and then place Kirby on the seat holding a sign saying " I tried to steal this bike... it wasn't worth the effort... arggggghhhhh"

I do spray aerosol lithium grease up into the lock pin yearly, and actuate it, but truthfully I've never used that lock as a security feature...
I have a 1/2" cable lock that lives in my trunk, and I use it thru the rear rim, and up and over the seat, and string it thru the sleeve and leg of my Stich for safe storage in questionable areas..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »
Why does your 'Stich have questionable areas? What are those questionable areas? Have you tried washing or at least deodorizing it?

Sorry, could not resist. :-)

Brian

<snip>

I have a 1/2" cable lock that lives in my trunk, and I use it thru the rear rim, and up and over the seat, and string it thru the sleeve and leg of my Stich for safe storage in questionable areas..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »
Sadly, the same thing occurred to me.. :o
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2017, 06:08:51 AM »

In a questionable area?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Detailed Explanation of KIPASS
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2017, 07:26:16 AM »
apologies if this is teaching granny to suck eggs but found the below link and thought it an interesting read

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/kawasaki_kipass.html
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »
In a questionable area?

Dunno.  Was drinking when I posted that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

Re: Detailed Explanation of KIPASS
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
apologies if this is teaching granny to suck eggs but found the below link and thought it an interesting read

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/kawasaki_kipass.html

A fairly comprehensive explanation of the KIPASS system. From what we know two related points are incorrect.

How KIPASS Works
This is how the Kawasaki Concours is started. The central ECU, called the Smart ECU (because it also controls the TPMS), constantly sends out RF waves, even with the keyswitch turned off. When the keyfob is within 5 feet of the Smart ECU, the keyfob "transponds," that is, receives the Smart ECU's signal and returns it with its own unique electronic signature attached. The Smart ECU compares this signature with its six previously stored registrations and if there is a match, the Smart ECU then seeks security confirmation from the other two ECUs, one at a time. Acknowledgement by the keyswitch ECU via the CAN bus permits the keyswitch to be pushed down and then rotated. At the same time, the Smart ECU seeks security confirmation from the FI (engine) ECU via CAN, in order for the fuel injection and ignition systems to be activated.

Our understanding here is that the 'smart ECU' only sends out a signal (query) when the stove knob key is pressed down. When the fob detects this query it responds with an authentication signal that tells the ECU that's it's ok to allow the stove knob to be unlocked and rotated to turn on the ignition.

If the bike's battery runs down or is disconnected, the KIPASS system will not operate. That is, the keyswitch cannot be pushed down and rotated because the while RF thing is not happening. The keyfob's battery is likewise vulnerable. If a keyfob is stored on the vehicle, this will of course be within 5 feet of the Smart ECU. The fob and ECU will in this case continuously communicate, which will dramatically shorten the life of the keyfob's 5-year rated battery. Naturally, a keyfob should not be kept on the vehicle anyway, since this would make the vehicle able to be started at any time. (Sure, you could remove the key from the keyswitch, but the vehicle was not designed to be used this way, a fact that can be attested to by the size and shape of the key's head.) A worst-case scenario concering keyfobs is possible on the 2010 and later Concours having the computer controlled glovebox. Since a keyfob is required to operate the glovebox, leaving a fob in the glovebox where its battery can more quickly run down can result in the unfortunate situation wherein the bike cannot be started because the fob having a dead battery is inside the glovebox and the glovebox cannot be opened until the the keyswitch is operated. A Catch-22 in other words.

Since we know that that ECU doesn't continuously transmit a signal the underlined section above is incorrect.

'the keyfob's 5-year rated battery'

5 years?  :o  That ain't happenin either. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »
That is correct: the system does not 'send out' anything on a continuous basis. In fact, that is the exact reason we have to press the ignition switch down in the first place; to power up the system and have KiPass poll for fobs [insert jokes here].

This is why we should all have and always use a well honed B.S. filter on whatever 'facts' we happen to see / hear / read / dream. Remember, in the olden' days, there were only five elements: earth, water, air, fire and ether, and that was taught by the some of the finest human minds known.

A fairly comprehensive explanation of the KIPASS system. From what we know two related points are incorrect.

<snip>

Our understanding here is that the 'smart ECU' only sends out a signal (query) when the stove knob key is pressed down. When the fob detects this query it responds with an authentication signal that tells the ECU that's it's ok to allow the stove knob to be unlocked and rotated to turn on the ignition.

<snip>

'the keyfob's 5-year rated battery'

5 years?  :o  That ain't happenin either.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
Are there different elements on the other side?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »
Flat earth.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »
Righto

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2017, 10:20:14 PM »
Thanks, Brian. I'll give that a try.

The only thing... the first time I tried to use the fork lock and it malfunctioned the bike was new.
I happened to be over 100 miles from home at the time, and had stopped at a restraunt.
I decided to lock it up, and that was the time the stove knob switch actually turned a full 360 degrees on me. That freaked me out. But it eventually freed up, and unlocked.

You guys are probably right about how easily it could be broken and defeated, though.
Pushing this beast would raise a lot of attention!
It's bulk is it's best defense!

Hey... at least my Keypass has never stuck!
But thanks Brian for the info on how to get outta that jamb if it happens.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Conrad

« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:16 AM »
Flat earth.

No one knows since all the **** keeps falling off.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »
Do you just plug the bypass in and leave it? Or do you just plug it in when/if you need it?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »
Do you just plug the bypass in and leave it? Or do you just plug it in when/if you need it?
Wayne

Scratch that! Went and reread, the fuse is the switch. Put fuse in if/when you need it.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #259 on: April 06, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »

You've been hangin' with the wrong crowd, and our "group think" is starting to get a toe hold in your brain.