Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
Windows 10
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »
I waited for this? It was a big involved hassle getting the icon to pre register for window 10, finally the day came when it was ready to install and it went through a lot of windows and restarted several times to finally say it failed and restored windows 7. I looked up the error code which referred to a wireless network card, but this desktop computer doesn't have wireless capabilities. after researching various windows 10 failures I tried changing several settings and restarted the installation process again only to have it fail again but this time with a different failure code so I followed a few suggestions and tried a third time with the same result FAILURE! so I went out and bought a 5K iMac...problem solved. WOW is it ever fast and the screen resolution is fantastic! It will take me some time to get used to the different operating system but after 2 days I am probably 90% proficient with it.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
From what I have seen is W10 is a vehicle for spyware. At work we do not allow the W10 update.
You took the best solution!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 07:54:34 PM »
I updated from 8.1 to Win 10 on my home PC. No issues. I updated from Win 7 on my Work PC. No issues. I updated one of my VM's from Win 7 to Win 10. No issues. One of the girls at work asked me what I recommend. It was an older laptop with Win 7 on it. I told her to give it a shot and if it fails to uninstall. She installed. No issues.

Macs are great... But I prefer to use what the other 97% of the world uses. Not to mention I use what I support.

Also Macs are not without any issues. Just wait for that little question mark when you try to boot. Give it time. It will happen.

5 K for a Mac???? Geeze.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:11:34 PM »
I reluctantly bought my iMac  for my professional photography, its a 2011.  Zero issues and not slow. Never had a hint of an issue with the operating system/software.

My windows machine from that year has been replaced do to slowness, and both have been one big pain in the *ss.

So I've been a "reformed" Mac hater for quite some time  ;D

And I'm not the only one, compare stock tickers on wall str, windows is a huge huge loser.

I'm not upgrading my windows machine to another windows machine!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:01:32 AM »
I have two PCs at home, one with 7.1 and the other 8.1.  The preparation phase is showing that my Symantec Endpoint Protection won't work but I've fixed that issue by upgrading that product to be current.  I intend to upgrade the 7.1 pc within the next 6 months to 10.  It's my experimental PC.  I'm getting ready to remove the HDD and replace it with an SSD for a speed upgrade.  I may do the processor as well.  I'm making sure I have all the updates from MS before I do the upgrade.  Both 7.1 and 8.1 PCs are Professional versions of Windows.

Cholla, what do you mean it's a vehicle for Spyware?  I'd be interested in knowing about that.

Ok, I went out and looked....

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956574/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-privacy-spyware-settings-user-agreement.html

This must be what you've seen or heard.  Thanks for bringing that up as I'll opt out as much as I can.  I didn't know about that.

I'll also use Start10 on both PCs.  I'm using Start8 on the 8.1 PC.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:47:33 AM »
The only way I'm willing to use a Win 8 machine is to use Start8. Is Win10 still the horrible "Metro" interface? Does Start10 fix that?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:16:48 AM »
The only way I'm willing to use a Win 8 machine is to use Start8. Is Win10 still the horrible "Metro" interface? Does Start10 fix that?

Is start8 a fix to make Win 8 operate like old school Windows? I'm running Classic Shell on my Window 8 laptop and it seems to do the trick just fine...looks like its available for Win 10 as well.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 06:25:12 AM »
Didn't need all this voodoo with xp.  >:(

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 06:27:46 AM »
Didn't need all this voodoo with xp.  >:(

Truth. I loved XP. Windows 7 seemed great too. All downhill after that...lol.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 06:40:24 AM »
Is start8 a fix to make Win 8 operate like old school Windows? I'm running Classic Shell on my Window 8 laptop and it seems to do the trick just fine...looks like its available for Win 10 as well.

Windows 7 is not old school...XP on back is.

MS came out with the classic shell some time after Windows 8 came out.  Start8 fixed an issue that users were perceiving to be a problem.  Start10 keeps that fix going.

I have to keep up with the different releases as that is what my business clients are using these days....Windows, not Mac's.  Apple products, while good, make up a minuscule part of business PCs.  In fact so small, that I pay no attention to them.  I can count on one finger the number of my clients that use those products with the servers that I support.

I work with IBM i systems and IBM has stated that they won't support/test their long time emulator (Client Access) on that platform (W10).  They have another Java based emulator that is PC agnostic that will work with most platforms out there (i, Apple, Linux).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
Still using Mageia Linux- no spyware, no slowdowns, no virii.  Upgraded several weeks ago to Mageia 5, and then upgraded Mom this past weekend too.   Best install ever- super easy!  (I still mess with Fedora, but I don't think it is all that suitable for home users; and RHEL/Centos on servers, of course).  http://www.mageia.org/en/5/

Really no interest in MS-Windows anymore (well, never had that much interest to start with).  I can't believe everyone is going to roll over and play dead with allowing MS to track everything they are doing and force updates on them even when they are broken (has already happened once according to news feeds I watch).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc