Author Topic: 12V to micro-usb (5V smart-phone) on the CHEAP  (Read 3244 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
12V to micro-usb (5V smart-phone) on the CHEAP
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
I put this in the C14 forum, but C10 riders my find this useful too?

I use my 4G EVO phone for GPS, MP3, Pandora internet radio, TV, text messaging, internet, gmail, work mail,

Ok, we've all seen people take expensive cigarette lighter cords for phones and then buy a 12V outlet on top of it, then mate it and hardwire to bike.  Then one ends up with a "twisty" cord for onboard power.

Gibberish.  9 minutes and a couple of dollars.

$2 plus 6 dollars shipping an Amazon and you're done.  Matter of fact, I bought a few because shipping was the same.

Order this little part from Amazon, its a 12v cigarette receptacle to usb adapter. Soldier 2 wires to it.  Insure you use a hot gun and tin metal first.  Then tin the ends of the wires for the other end as they will hardwire into bike:

Use two tie straps and without stressing the wires, secure them to the base of the adapter:

Find an extra USB to phone cable laying around to plug in:

Secure and weatherproof with sealant and tape:

Don't settle for the wires NOT going opposit directions:

You're done!

Disclaimer:  you want to be fused.  Persoanlly I installed the FUZEBLOCK product, it allows switched or unswitched power on each outlet, depending on which slot you place the fuse.  My phone is going "unswitched" so it will continue on bike pow-ah even with ignition off.

Of course an inline tiny 5-7.5 amp fuse will more than suffice

Have fun watching MotoGP racing on the bike (with it parked), or google maps or anything.  GPS was up on this pic and the flash blew it out.  I didn't feel like getting the tripod set up in the garage for a balanced exposure -)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: 12V to micro-usb (5V smart-phone) on the CHEAP
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »
Very nice. Have you  'rooted' your Evo yet?
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »
Very nice. Have you  'rooted' your Evo yet?

Thanks and no sir,  for the limited apps I've been using I haven't felt left out being unrooted
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »
Nice write up there, #9334

I'm still sans sound and do not plan on getting it, but it will help out some folks. Nice pic on the phone, BTW. Say hey to her from me and Margie, K?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
Nice write up there, #9334

I'm still sans sound and do not plan on getting it, but it will help out some folks. Nice pic on the phone, BTW. Say hey to her from me and Margie, K?

Yes sir, will do