Author Topic: Will a non ABS connie do a stoppie?  (Read 13510 times)

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
Will a non ABS connie do a stoppie?
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
Was working on my hard braking technique and the thought occurred. IMHO without ABS using the rear brake for a hard stop is a fools game.   I am currently "braking" in a new set of EBC hh pads on an old rear rotor.  Anyone ever mod the lever to get it closer to the grip than the adjustments allow?
08B 73.5K miles

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Will a non ABS connie do a stoppie?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:33:59 PM »
Excellent question and one I have pondered for some time! I do not know the answer but my suspicion is.... not likely. Perhaps with an under- inflated, pure sport bike tire at the front and some especially warm, clean popcorn asphalt. But given normal conditions and sport touring tires, I tend to doubt it. But if it can be done, I would LOVE to see it in the form of a video.

Brian

Was working on my hard braking technique and the thought occurred. IMHO without ABS using the rear brake for a hard stop is a fools game.   I am currently "braking" in a new set of EBC hh pads on an old rear rotor.  Anyone ever mod the lever to get it closer to the grip than the adjustments allow?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:06:57 AM »
Excellent question and one I have pondered for some time! I do not know the answer but my suspicion is.... not likely. Perhaps with an under- inflated, pure sport bike tire at the front and some especially warm, clean popcorn asphalt. But given normal conditions and sport touring tires, I tend to doubt it. But if it can be done, I would LOVE to see it in the form of a video.

The C14 is heavy AND has a long wheelbase... two more factors that work against stoppies.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »
I doubt it, but mine got extremely light in the rear the other night as I braked hard for a deer that jumped in front of me as I was passing a pickup on a two lane road in Arkansas. That was with my wife on the back as well. I felt a little wiggle from the back as I was hard on the front brake. I applied a little read brake but very little. I was happy with the way the bike handled it. I was able to maneuver around and get back behind the truck. Of course at about 80, I'm glad mine didn't stoppie and catapult my wife into the distance.  ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
I doubt it, but mine got extremely light in the rear the other night as I braked hard for a deer that jumped in front of me as I was passing a pickup on a two lane road in Arkansas. That was with my wife on the back as well. I felt a little wiggle from the back as I was hard on the front brake. I applied a little read brake but very little. I was happy with the way the bike handled it. I was able to maneuver around and get back behind the truck. Of course at about 80, I'm glad mine didn't stoppie and catapult my wife into the distance.  ;D

Would that be grounds for divorce?  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
You mean such as "We were riding along and she just disappeared your Honor. Left me in the middle of Arkansas on a lonely two lane road!"? Yeah, might be grounds....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gggGary

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »
I would guess an unprepared passenger banging into your back after a sudden application of binders might help create a stoppie.

I used to stoppie the 81 900F WERA racing.  That was the first bike I owned with Real Brakes. you could modulate the front and keep the rear wheel "just touching" pretty easily.
08B 73.5K miles

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »

Does one even need grounds anymore?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »

Yes, such as abandonment. IE: Your honor, we were riding down this road and she quite suddenly abandoned me to a point 50 feet in front of the bike. When she came to in the hospital, and finally remembered who I was, she didn't want anything to do with me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »

Way off topic, but not even sure there is really any point to "marriage" anymore.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »
You mean such as "We were riding along and she just disappeared your Honor. Left me in the middle of Arkansas on a lonely two lane road!"? Yeah, might be grounds....

Brian

Yes, such as abandonment. IE: Your honor, we were riding down this road and she quite suddenly abandoned me to a point 50 feet in front of the bike. When she came to in the hospital, and finally remembered who I was, she didn't want anything to do with me.

:rotflmao:

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
I would guess an unprepared passenger banging into your back after a sudden application of binders might help create a stoppie.

:rotflmao:

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
Mine will...hopefully, NEVER AGAIN.

Me and the C14 were working at the Tour of California bicycle race last year.  Coming over the mountains toward the day's finish in Santa Barbara, I get a radio message calling me forward. 
I am in the back back back, and need to be in front of a bunch of cars, and NOW.

So I hit it, and I am coming up on the team cars - the caravan is maybe 25 - 30 MCs, 10 CHP SUVs, two ambulances, 50 team cars, 5 Officials cars, etc. etc.

They are going about 40mph about to crest the summit, and I am trying to get by as many as I can before they speed up for the descent.  We have the whole road, so it is 4-5 lanes wide, and I am going 70-75MPH.  At least.  Lots of room on the left, so no problem.

At the perfect *wrong* time, the last team car in the line pulls off to answer the call of nature.  This is no gradual move, but fairly sharp, with brakes added.  Naturally, I am going way too fast to move right.  By the time I figure out that he is heading for the bushes, I am well and truly trapped.  I grab a big ole handful, and he keeps getting closer.  So I do what I have practiced.  Stay calm, find the limits of traction, and make it happen. 

Still in 5th gear, clutch in, front tire chattering HARD, he finally sees (or hears) me, and gives me a little room.  As I let off on the brake lever, the rear tire drops to the ground.  Three downshifts, and I bog away in 2nd. 

Pirelli Angel GT. 
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 05:07:06 PM »
Just saw your signature:

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Is that Chet's (aka SOP) old bike?

Offline gggGary

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »
So I do what I have practiced.  Stay calm, find the limits of traction, and make it happen. 

Still in 5th gear, clutch in, front tire chattering HARD, he finally sees (or hears) me, and gives me a little room.  As I let off on the brake lever, the rear tire drops to the ground.  Three downshifts, and I bog away in 2nd. 

That's what I'm talking about; in a REAL panic gotta stop situation, it's front brake and maybe clutch in.  You don't have time for anything else, and you don't want to divert your attention away from the prime task; STOPPING as fast as possible while maintaining control and paying attention to the changing scene around you.
08B 73.5K miles

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 06:09:18 PM »
You must be one of dem dare heterosexual haters ( I mean you are a heterosexual who hates.... not a person who hates heterosexuals)....

Sorry, I just could not resist.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Way off topic, but not even sure there is really any point to "marriage" anymore.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 06:41:33 PM »
Sorry, I just could not resist.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Response is in Open Forum so as not to further contaminate this thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19889

Offline PH14

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »

That's what I'm talking about; in a REAL panic gotta stop situation, it's front brake and maybe clutch in.  You don't have time for anything else, and you don't want to divert your attention away from the prime task; STOPPING as fast as possible while maintaining control and paying attention to the changing scene around you.

Amen. That is what saved me the other night as well. I heard some nice howling of the tires. The hard braking practice drills I do from time to time paid off. The Connie can and does stop quickly and controllably if you practice.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 10:15:42 PM »
Yeah but I still want to know: can a stock C-14 be made to put a foot+ of air under the rear tire just using the front brake?

I of course do not know but again, the bike's weight makes me dubious that it can be done at all. That said, it would be most impressive to see a video of a C-14 doing a true stoppie, at least to me.

Brian

Amen. That is what saved me the other night as well. I heard some nice howling of the tires. The hard braking practice drills I do from time to time paid off. The Connie can and does stop quickly and controllably if you practice.

Offline gggGary

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 05:12:40 AM »
Datsaxman had the rear tire in the air.  Once the rear tire is in the air, putting it up a foot or so is just show boating, IMHO the fastest stop is when the rear is not quite or JUST unloaded. As the rear rises the the amount of front brake has to decrease to keep it from going "all the way".  (easy boys)

There now I feel like one of the gang!
08B 73.5K miles